iPhone SE and the missing barometer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blinkie, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blinkie, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016

blinkie macrumors regular

It's rankling with me that the barometer is missing from the SE. When I think of going cycling, sailing or hillwalking the size of the 6 phones is total overkill. I'd feel ridiculous carrying a phablet around the wilderness. But I do find having a smartphone in my pocket to be invaluable if I'm lost or want to rework a route. The SE was shaping up to be a perfect little phone for this, the perfect adventure phone. GPS and GLONASS (which my current 4 doesn't have). But no barometer! Apple you were so close to making this perfect.

Still considering it though. :confused:

2. Z3man macrumors 6502a

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I thought a barometer was used for temperature...

4. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

It measures pressure and helps with determining altitude.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

How would this affect you if you are lost, but still have GPS?

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

GPS can do altitude but barometer helps with weather, oncoming storm etc.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Ya the lack of the Barometer is a little worrying to me as well..

8. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

I don't see how it being missing would be an issue for your use case.

9. blinkie, Mar 22, 2016

blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

The combination of gps and barometer makes the the location more accurate. GPS is very good for determining location on a flat plane. GLONASS is even better. But when you start to introduce hight into the equation a barometer helps with the accuracy.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2016 ---
    More of a niggle than an issue.

10. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

It doesn't make your location more accurate, it makes your elevation more accurate, specifically indoors. I don't think you are going to have accuracy issues outside using global positioning on the SE.

11. blinkie, Mar 22, 2016

blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

GPS accuracy is something like plus or minus 7 meters. GLONASS is more like 3 meters. Both are worse when it comes to height. (Unless you stand still for a very long time and allow the satellites to move about you). Now, imagine traversing a slope in bad weather, when you know there is a cliff up ahead. A scenario I often find myself in. Those few meters of inaccuracy can quickly become very important. Having a barometer help with the location would be useful. But. As I said, it's a niggle, not a big deal.

12. RC Mike macrumors member

Barometers measure changes in atmospheric pressure. Generally, the higher you are above sea level the lower the atmospheric pressure. Want to know how high you've climbed, whether a weather change is coming, or whether it's a good time to fish? Use a barometer. It's silly that Apple somehow left it out. It's keeping me from making what should be an easy decision.

13. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Agreed. How much could it have saved them by not implementing it?

14. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Which iphones have a barometer? and what is it used for?

15. DaveWotzit macrumors member

DaveWotzit

From the UK the Isle of winning at sports *NOT*
    Does anyone know if this will cause problems if you try to use an Apple Watch with an SE ???

16. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I though the barometer was built into the M8 and M9 chips? Are you sure it's been omitted from the M9 in the SE?

17. zombiecakes macrumors regular

if you need accuracy down to the meter because you will fall off a cliff then maybe you should get a professional GPS device and not use a phone, I would not trust an iphone regardless of it having a baromoter or not

18. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

19. JohnApples macrumors 65816

According to Apple's own specs page, it has been omitted. Which means that the A9/M9 is altered and not the exact one from the 6S.

20. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

It's odd that the professional GPS's have lagged behind the smartphones in terms of accuracy (not reception, which I don't have a problem with). It was years after smartphones included GLONASS that it became remotely affordable in the sort of treking and hiking units Garmin ect make.

It's not something I 'need' nor is it necessary, I just would have used it. And it's causing me some minor frustration that Apple omitted it.

21. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

I do all sorts of hikes and outdoor activity. Reviewing my step count and flights climbed is of particular interest to me. I'm sad to see this missing and it might keep me away from the SE, even though a 4" phone sounds great.

22. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

23. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

I think all the 6's have a barometer. It's used for tracking your location more accurately. For the heath apps to help measure your activity. And for the mapping apps to help with accuracy.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For the phone it measures elevation, so for instance it will track the number of floors you climbed, or how much you hiked (elevation wise).

I'm a bit bummed over the exclusion of the barometer myself, but I've reconciled the omission with the fact, I have not looked at any elevation type data on my 6 plus, so I don't think I'll miss it

25. RC Mike macrumors member

It doesn't measure elevation. It does measure atmospheric pressure. Changes in elevation can often be assumed from changes in pressure, but the atmosphere is fluid. Where you're sitting right now, the pressure is different than it was yesterday, or a moment ago. Your elevation, if you're in the same place, is constant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.