Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

4-inch iPhone enthusiasts who have been unable to take advantage of the $249 iPhone SE deal on Apple's clearance site can once again make a purchase, as Apple has restocked the website and has a limited supply of remaining iPhone SE models available.

The models available today are unlocked but have SIM cards from carriers that include TracFone, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon. There are a range of colors available from each carrier, with 32GB models priced at $249 and 128GB models priced at $299.

iphoneseclearanceagain-800x373.jpg

Apple has been offering iPhone SE models on clearance since mid-January, but available stock often sells out quickly. Apple has done several restocks, however, giving those who prefer smaller devices one last chance to purchase a 4-inch iPhone on the cheap.

Apple originally discontinued the iPhone SE in September 2018 when the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR were announced. Apple's iPhone lineup now starts with the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus as its entry level devices.

The iPhone SE, first announced in March 2016, was the last 4-inch smartphone that Apple offered, with the 4.7-inch iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 models now the smallest that Apple officially sells in retail stores.

With these clearance sales, Apple seems to be getting rid of remaining iPhone SE stock, and it's clear that available supply is dwindling. Those who want to get an iPhone SE should do so soon because it's not known how many more restocks Apple will be offering.

Article Link: Discounted $249 iPhone SE Once Again Back in Stock on Apple's Clearance Site

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
These look like new, sealed carrier returns.

It makes sense carriers would have trouble selling the SE. The iPhone 6s sells for $5/month for 24 months at Verizon. Are there customers that want to pay less than $5 per month? Sure. But not your normal customers.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
So these appear to be carrier specific models, though all indicate they are unlocked, despite shipping with a carrier specific SIM. Odd. They appear to be identical to the unlocked A1662 sim-free Apple phones previously offered.

So did the carriers just go into their system and release all of these phones, and then return them to Apple to put them up for sale? Very interesting move if so.

Presumably, then, all one has to do is swap the SIM out with any other SIM and they should work? This phone works with both Verizon and ATT, so there should be no network restrictions if it's unlocked, regardless of the network carrier SIM included in the phone.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Jealous much?;)

Was there a 128 GB any color available?

(All gone now.)

Try it again (use the link at the top of the article), I'm still seeing and able to select them, pretty much all colors at 128GB. Bit weird they have the carriers SIMs in them, but they're unlocked.

I think JPack called it, these look like sealed new carrier returns (like we've worked through the Apple Store returns)...ugh Apple wish they'd spec bumped the SE with the 8's guts - seemed like a no brainer.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcpmark

gldoorii

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2015
My 6 Plus broke last June and I grabbed the AT&T pre-paid 32 GB SE from Best Buy for like $120 on sale and put my SIM in it. I love it. It even came with a pre-paid SIM I sold for $20, so, great freakin deal for me.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I tried an XR on a road trip over the holidays, wanting to see how it performs in fringe areas.

It had to be restarted from a freeze twice, lost some 5 cities in weather that i had added to avoid getting caught in snow. When i got to LA the XR interfered with the relatives WiFi...

So I returned it. I got SE 128 off clearance and am very happy with it. Also: $330 vs $880, a very welcome $550 savings.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Try it again (use the link at the top of the article), I'm still seeing and able to select them, pretty much all colors at 128GB. Bit weird they have the carriers SIMs in them, but they're unlocked.

Got it, thank you.:)

Previous bookmark does not work, this link is good.

Very specific carriers mentioned this time - don't recall seeing that previously.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
It is nice to see mostly positive comments about this. Usually every third comment is someone asking why someone would buy an SE, saying they are too old, or goofy comments stating the SE is for people with tiny hands.

I picked up a 128GB Space Grey one a few weeks ago, debating about maybe picking up one more as a second spare.

These look like new, sealed carrier returns.

It makes sense carriers would have trouble selling the SE. The iPhone 6s sells for $5/month for 24 months at Verizon. Are there customers that want to pay less than $5 per month? Sure. But not your normal customers.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I prefer the SE over the 6s design. Given they were the same price @$5 a month, I would go for the SE. So if the SE was cheaper than the 6s, that would just be a bonus.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
yassssss finally succeeded in getting 128GB Space Gray!

Recommendation: If you're buying one (or more) of these, pick up the $99 dollar AppleCare+! With the discount it's more than worth it!
On a phone that is $271 or $328 (or so) after tax, $99 for AC+ is a lot for a low priced phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
So these appear to be carrier specific models, though all indicate they are unlocked, despite shipping with a carrier specific SIM. Odd. They appear to be identical to the unlocked A1662 sim-free Apple phones previously offered.

So did the carriers just go into their system and release all of these phones, and then return them to Apple to put them up for sale? Very interesting move if so.

Presumably, then, all one has to do is swap the SIM out with any other SIM and they should work? This phone works with both Verizon and ATT, so there should be no network restrictions if it's unlocked, regardless of the network carrier SIM included in the phone.

Not exactly. Remember, you can buy carrier-locked or carrier-specific iPhones directly from Apple's website. I think this may be what's left of that inventory.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
I can't speak for anyone else, but I prefer the SE over the 6s design. Given they were the same price @$5 a month, I would go for the SE. So if the SE was cheaper than the 6s, that would just be a bonus.

YES. The 6 has not aged well at all, while the SE still looks solid and classy. Whenever I spot one in the wild I can't help but smirk.

Apple wouldn't even have to try that hard. Simply trim the massive bezels, give it a spec bump and 3D Touch, and watch it sell like water in the desert. Alas, Cook & co have a penchant for oversized courageous potato phablets

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
It’s a shame they don’t re-release them here in the UK but I guess they have their reasons.

I had one, which I had to sell, but as much as I often couldn’t get on with the smaller screen, I won’t lie, and do miss it.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Not exactly. Remember, you can buy carrier-locked or carrier-specific iPhones directly from Apple's website. I think this may be what's left of that inventory.

Apple's clearance inventory includes prepaid carriers like TracFone. These were never offered by Apple directly. These clearance items are likely to be carrier returns.

Reactions: Spock1234
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.