iPhone SE is Again Available From Apple's Clearance Site for $249

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is once again offering the iPhone SE on its clearance site, making the now-discontinued device available for $249 to $299.

You can purchase the 32GB iPhone SE in Gold, Space Gray, Silver, or Rose Gold for $249, and the 128GB iPhone SE is also available for $299 in all colors.

[​IMG]

The iPhone SE models Apple has available are discounted by $100 for 32GB of storage and $150 for 128GB of storage. The iPhones for sale are unlocked and brand new in box.

Apple originally discontinued the iPhone SE in September 2018 when the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR were announced. Apple's iPhone lineup now starts with the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus as its entry level devices.

The iPhone SE, first announced in March 2016, was the last 4-inch smartphone that Apple offered, with the 4.7-inch iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 models now the smallest that Apple officially sells in retail stores.

Apple added discounted iPhone SE models to its clearance store on January 19, but available stock quickly sold out. Apple refreshed the store this afternoon to add additional supply, though what's in stock now could also potentially sell out quickly.

We don't know for sure why Apple is selling the iPhone SE again, but it's likely that Apple is clearing out remaining iPhone SE stock.

In 2018, there were rumors suggesting Apple was working on an iPhone SE 2, but in hindsight, some of the rumors were conflated with iPhone XR rumors and no second-generation 4-inch device materialized.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who often provides accurate insight into Apple's plans, said in early 2018 that an iPhone SE 2 was unlikely, and other analysts have also suggested Apple no longer has plans to produce a new 4-inch model.

Article Link: iPhone SE is Again Available From Apple's Clearance Site for $249

2. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

I really want to buy the 128GB Space Grey model, but I can't justify it as I would rarely use it, but that's a great phone and a great deal. It's obvious that Apple needs to replace the SE with updated internals and cameras at the very least. Hell, keep the same form factor, but put the A11 or even A12, at least iPhone 8 camera, and Touch ID 2 solid state home button from the iPhone 7/8. Oh, and offer the Black form the iPhone 7 and bring on Product Red. Watch your iPhone sales increase Apple.

3. Ankou_Sabat macrumors regular

Ankou_Sabat

Where is my red iPhone 8? It was available for like a month and then disappeared with the XR and XS/Plus model announcement

4. usersince86 macrumors 6502

usersince86

Please Apple provide an up-to-date smaller format iPhone

5. samven582 macrumors 6502a

6. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

The SE is still a very capable phone. Mine performs as well today as when I bought it a year ago. I don't have any trouble running apps, and the photos taken in well-lighted situations are outstanding. If you're on the fence, maybe buy one with the knowledge that you can return it within the grace period if it doesn't work out for you.

7. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

Was issued a SE for work. Horrible phone, so small it’s like a little toy.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

That would sell very, very well. The problem seems to be that they are very focused on ASP these days rather than number of units sold.

9. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I’m curious what they will inevitably do with a second-generation SE. Will it utilize the XR design or stick to the older design for cost savings and familiarity with its target audience? Either way, the SE was a hit and has a place in the lineup.

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I'm so tempted to buy one to stash away in case mine ever up and dies but I'm hopeful that by the time that happens Apple will have a new 4" model available for purchase.

11. Glavin macrumors member

Glavin

Some reseller is snatching these up faster than you can say Jony Ive.

12. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I got mine for 75$ plus the first month of service by my provider. The total was 2.5 times less than Apple is charging (but not unlocked).

If you're in the market for an iPod touch, grab this instead. It'll cost less (if you do what I did) or nearly as much (if you get it from Apple), but it'll be more capable.

13. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

Tim Cook is a fool for abandoning the small form factor iPhone, there is clearly a sizeable demand for it.

14. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

Got to get rid of all thoes soon to be outdated and unsupported parts to make way for the next great phone.

15. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Almost bought it. Really not what I want.

I wanted a high Rez >400ppi full screen no bezel SE form factor with headphone jack and updated internals and camera. And waterproof.

Apple makes nothing I want any more.

They've lost their mojo.

16. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

The SE is the best phone they've ever made (for me). Their latest range are like massive tablet toys.

17. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Apple's greed is getting in the way of their brain. Give people the option for a smaller device. Many will buy it. Have a small medium and large model. How simple is that?

18. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

Well I have an XR and prefer the larger form factor, which is why I'd likely not use the SE very often. I just think the SE is one of the greatest phones Apple has made from the build and performance per dollar ratio. I'm glad they are selling these and I hope they bring out an updated model. They would absolutely increase their iPhone sales.

19. coleblk macrumors regular

I got my rose gold that I had ordered yesterday but of course I now wanted a 128GB space grey however in the midst of checking out it updated and went out of stock! How rude! :(

Someone is snatching these up very quickly indeed. What a great phone.

20. samven582 macrumors 6502a

space grey 128gb is all gone

21. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Clearly based on the unknown number selling out?

Apple sold 217M iPhones last year. How many SEs did they sell?

22. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Cricket had it last year for $99 and SIM unlocked after one month of service. Wouldn't pay more than that considering it's lacking many of the newer bands like 71, 66, etc.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t think this is a fair statement. Apple brought back the SE in 2016, when they didn’t have to. During the March 2016 keynote, Greg Joswiak stated there was a strong demand for a smaller iPhone, which Apple did listen to the consumer and returned the 4” form factor. I think iPhone SE was always meant to be a limited term release, but the fact that they offered a 4 inch iPhone in the first place, when most other manufactures have abandoned smaller devices in favor of larger 6” smart phones.

24. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

They're testing the waters. If the clearance models keep selling they'll see there's still a market for them. Potentially bring it back.