iPhone SE Launch Day Overshadowed by Tesla Model 3

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 31, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple launched the iPhone SE today in the United States and eleven other countries and territories, prompting a number of early adopters looking to get their hands on the refreshed 4-inch smartphone to line up over the past twenty-four hours.

Early morning lines for the iPhone SE could be found in a handful of major cities, ranging from Sydney, Australia to Miami, Florida, but many other Apple Stores had no queues whatsoever as excitement was unsurprisingly more tepid compared to the launch of a flagship smartphone like the iPhone 6s.

[​IMG]
    iPhone SE lines in Sydney, left, and Miami, right (Images: Nick Sas/Julio Perera)

In fact, the launch of the iPhone SE was arguably overshadowed by Model 3 reservations, which began today at Tesla stores and galleries, some of which are located directly adjacent to or within close proximity to Apple retail stores.

At the Tesla store in the Bellevue, Washington shopping mall pictured below, for example, the queue at around 10:30 a.m. local time was significantly longer than many of those outside of Apple Stores today.
    Meanwhile, the Tesla Model 3 reservation queue in Düsseldorf, Germany actually extended past an adjacent Apple Store earlier today.
    iPhone SE reaction has been mixed in Asia, where the smartphone launched to little fanfare in Japan but reportedly received over 3.4 million pre-orders in neighboring China. The low-cost smartphone is expected to be particularly popular in emerging markets such as India and Pakistan.

Investment bank Piper Jaffray performed a spot check of iPhone SE stock in select American markets and found that 90% of stores had the device in stock:
    For new orders, Apple currently lists delivery estimates of between April 6 and April 21 in the U.S. depending on the iPhone SE size, color, and carrier selected.

Article Link: iPhone SE Launch Day Overshadowed by Tesla Model 3

2. StudyFlo macrumors member

StudyFlo

3. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Good on Tesla, but an article on lineups?

4. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

People have been able to buy this phone for years, it's called the iPhone 5S.

5. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

6. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

Peasants, don't they know that we can buy it online?
    Just do a virtual test drive, and buy one and then head over to Apple Store to queue for desired SE and iPad Pro. :p

7. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

No ... it's not. That's like saying the iPhone 6 and 6s are the same because they have the same body and screen size.

8. 0007776 Suspended

The iPhone 5S was missing a lot that the SE has, so no you haven't been able to buy it for years.

9. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

I'll bet ArtofWarfare is going nuts, standing in the middle of the street looking manic. "Do I get in the Mode 3 line or do I get in the SE line?"

Model 3 definitely.

10. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

The iPhone SE is not a "line up in the queue" type of release. This should not have come as a shock to anyone.

I just went over to my Apple Store to try to get my hands on a 9.7" Smart Keyboard Cover. Both sizes were completely sold out, and there were tons of people at all the tables. So did the Apple Store traffic where I live overshadow the Tesla 3 launch?

11. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

People are lining up outside for the iPhone SE? Seriously??

12. MBadagliacco macrumors newbie

MBadagliacco

Uuuummmm, not really... The "Event" was the reveal by Apple of the SE & Pro... The majority of the people who wanted to purchase the SE and Pro already ordered it. The Tesla has not even been revealed yet. WOW!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2016 ---
    Are you serious? So because the basic form factor is close, it is the same? Unreal! They are completely different and have different capabilities and specs.

13. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

Wow, I definitely would have upgraded to the 5s from my 5 if I had known that the 5s had an A9 chip with 2GB of RAM. Stupid me skipped the 5s for the 6 and only got an A8 processor with 1GB of RAM!

Now to figure out why Apple lied and told everyone that the 5s had a mere A7 inside of it...

14. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Honestly I'm surprised there were any lines forming for the SE. It seems like it's more popular than I initially thought!

15. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I stood in line today to buy a cookiewich. I'm not sure that's any more relevant to the iPhone launch than this ridiculous headline.

16. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I was #77 at my local Tesla store. The line was 400 more people behind me at 10:45 AM. I arrived 3 hours before opening.

I'm predicting that Tesla receives around 200K reservations in-store reservations today before opening online reservations. That's going to be at least the first 6 months worth of cars.

So if you choose to preorder online, you're going to be waiting at least 6 months longer than if you choose to line up in person.

If Tesla manages to deliver 500K cars per year (in the US alone) like they say they will in 2018, they'll have more sales than the #1 and #2 of 2015 combined. They'll capture around 10% of the entire passenger vehicle market with a single car.

Apple is moving far, far too slow with their car project. What killer feature could their car possibly have that would persuade people to go with them instead of Tesla?

Not even the slightest struggle. I'm happy with my iPhone 6+. If I were to get the SE, I'd be okay with just ordering online and waiting a few weeks for it if that was the penalty for not waiting in line.

I've never waited in line for any product before today - I've always been content with just ordering online in the dead of night for Apple products.

17. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Although it's a matter of opinion, this news should surprise no one that news of the lines for a car would outshine the news of lines for a phone. Personally, neither is of ownership interest for me, but the Model 3 lines are a bit of a surprise.
    Considering the Model 3 people aren't standing in line to buy a car, it's more than a bit of a surprise. Those people are standing in line to pay $1000 for the chance at being one of the earlier purchasers of the Model 3. A car, which under the best circumstances, they will Dec of 2017. Most likely they will get further into 2018. There's also a pecking order to consider. Model 3 reservations: https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/reserving-model-3

That is some real want.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2016 ---
    You being in that line is not a surprise. I even wrote about you at post #9. Pro tip: Do not stare at the calendar. It will feel like the days aren't moving.

18. Mums Suspended

Mums

I suspect Elon Musk is just a puppet frontman for some sort of free / electric energy suppression cabal. I also suspect Volkswagen was going to release a revolutionary electric car but got crucified with that MPG scandal or whatever it was. Elon Musk strikes me as less intelligent than he makes himself out to be.

19. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

We've been waiting for this for years. I had my eyes on Tesla before the first Model S rolled out of the factory in 2012.

I asked a few people around me in line - everyone has been waiting for this car for at least a year, 2 years was the average answer.

Self driving EV. What part of cars isn't revolutionized and made hundreds of times better by that phrase?

20. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502

OneBagTravel

If you were still rocking your 4 or 5 for this long, you'd be excited too.

21. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

I don't know why but I thought the iphone se guys would order online, I'm surprised people are queuing for this, it's must be doing better than I thought.
    I hope the Surface phone delivers they picked a tough year.

22. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Of course not. I waited years for this day. I never thought it would come. I can wait a few more years now.

I just received my reservation number. RN107790043.

I have no idea how to make any sense of that number... is it just randomly generated?

Maybe it somehow indicates which register checked me out and says I was number 43 at that register?

23. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

200k reservations at $1000 a pop = $200 Million!!! If Tesla doesn't deliver, this will make the Tucker debacle look like a joke.

24. RowellE macrumors regular

RowellE

This is all new to me. Can you explain what's going on? People wait in line for cars now? You guys must be rich! I read a reservation costs $1k. What is the reservation for and can you use that toward the amount of the car?

25. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Anytime someone is enthusiastic about cars it puts a big ass smile on my face.:D <-- see. Even though you and I are on different teams (Self driving EV vs. ICE manual -and no, paddle shifting is not real manual;)) it's all good. You've been waiting years to get your baby and it took me 3.5 off-and-on years to build my 3rd child... the one I'd save in a fire. The other two have legs, they can get out on their own.:oops::eek: