Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
I got an SE in the first round of clearance; if I could even come close to financially justifying it, I'd get another one now. Because even if Apple eventually comes out with an SE2, I doubt it will have a headphone jack. Well, I also doubt that sitting in the box for three or so years, while I use the first one, would be at all good for it.
I'm sure it'll be able to be replaced for a repair for several years anyway, if not at an Apple Store then by sending it in.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Seems like they are trying to get rid of inventory. It’s hard to gauge interest when a product is being sold for such a low price

Not true. You can find the SE available on prepaid networks for $139, sometimes as low as $99. Straight
No, it is not "comical"; actually, perhaps surprisingly, bigger is not always better, and some of us find it - the iPhone SE - just perfect for our needs.

It is a lovely, portable, reliable, phone with a terrific battery life.

As screen size goes up, information density throughout the OS goes down.

You have more screen real estate but it ends up as wastes space that contains no information and actually makes it harder to absorb info at a glance. It’s why I love the SE.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I wonder if Mr. Cook knows this is going on behind the scenes at Apple?
I thought he said no more small iPhone. I doubt he would go back on his word.

jgdeschamps

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Since they are recognizing their pricing errors, I hope they also mention at some point that their leftover stock of iPhone SE moved pretty well and that they learned something -ANYTHING, PLEASE- from it.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Got to get rid of thoes old outdated parts to make room for the new i phones.

Except that Apple doesn't manage inventory in that manner.
[doublepost=1548966372][/doublepost]
Seems like they are trying to get rid of inventory. It’s hard to gauge interest when a product is being sold for such a low price

Apple doesn't keep inventory. It's demand driven.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Yes and iOS 13 is going to age the SE very badly given what's expected this year.

I would keep the SE at iOS 11 if you can. I can easily get close to iPhone XR like battery life (7+ hours screen time). The other SE in the house with iOS 12 has about half the battery life.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
How long before an upcoming iOS version won't be compatible with the aging A9 chip? I don't see much life left in these, in the long run...

That's the single reason I won't get this phone. I love everything about it (size, grip, chamfered edges, lack of camera bump, headphone port) but I know its head is on the chopping block with the blade raised.

I want to believe one will be released this year but I think it's too soon given how slow Apple are to react to what the market wants (especially if this is indeed a data gathering experiment with the staged releases).

Reactions: sartor

jgdeschamps

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
That's the single reason I don't get this phone. I love everything about it (size, grip, chamfered edges, lack of camera bump, headphone port) but I know its head is on the chopping block with the blade raised.

I want to believe one will be released this year but I think it's too soon given how slow Apple are to react to what the market wants (especially if this is indeed a data gathering experiment with the staged releases).

I wouldn't worry. iOS 12 runs like butter on my SE. Extremely smooth without glitches, slowdowns, etc. I would dare to say that it runs better than iOS 11. As for battery, it dependes on usage, apps, etc. I can get through the day, no problems.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
I wouldn't worry. iOS 12 runs like butter on my SE. Extremely smooth without glitches, slowdowns, etc. I would dare to say that it runs better than iOS 11. As for battery, it dependes on usage, apps, etc. I can get through the day, no problems.

I'm not so worried about the performance factor because grunt hasn't been an issue in phones for years now. I worry that if iOS 13 support is dropped by Apple many developers typically follow suit and that's where things start to fall apart for a user.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
The phone lasts all day, battery life is amazing on the SE because of the power draw on the A9 and the smaller screen size. The phone is 3 years old and runs as fast as the iPhone 7. It’s an amazing device. They were very dumb to abandon the design and I think they’re figuring that out now.

Whatever keeps people buying them is okay with me.

Reactions: yojason

jgdeschamps

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I'm not so worried about the performance factor because grunt hasn't been an issue in phones for years now. I worry that if iOS 13 support is dropped by Apple many developers typically follow suit and that's where things start to fall apart for a user.

Ah, don't worry for that either. Apple supports hardware for cycles between 5 and 7 years after they were introduced, and iPhone SE is 2 years old if I remember correctly.

Reactions: sartor

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
The ‘other’ phones that you’re referring to, are water resistant rated, not waterproof. I know I’m being a bit technical, but huge difference. Anyways, I was never one that really needed a water resistant rating for a phone when I did own the SE, I never bring my phone around water as it is, but that’s just me personally.
Waterproof needs to be a norm. I don't want to get GoPro or anything like that these days when iPhone is slowly getting to being waterproof. And the water resistance is fine as it allows for shallow depth for 30 mins so technically it is waterproof :)

glassyeyed

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2019
Moon
This is my primary concern as well. Not only that, but will future iOS updates essentially cripple the performance of the SE? With the exception of iOS 12, each update has had a negative effect on performance, even when usage hasn't changed.

More generally, this isn't a great deal... it's 2016 hardware for $400 CAD + tax. I love the form factor, but let's not pretend this is a steal.

It's new stock, it's eligible for AppleCare, and it's $500 less than the next cheapest iPhone. Now add in its diminutive size -- that's a feature for those interested in this device -- and it's a stea.

AFA new updates "crippling performance", if iOS 12 didn't break it ... AND iOS 13 (and higher) is offered .. these probably won't break it, either. Apple engineers haven't had a great track record lately but they ought to be smart enough to keep the A9 functional for the next several years; it's not that bad of a cpu.

Reactions: Mac 128

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I doubt Apple is gauging demand with this but it would be great if they are. One can only hope. I see SO many people daily with iPhones 4-8. Tons more than X, XR, XS. Downtown Chicago, all walks of life. Most of these people will want to upgrade in the next year or two. Apple would be very foolish to not release an updated small to mid size / mid spec phone option for $400-$600 price and market the hell out of it. Google and Samsung are already catching on (M10, M20, Pixel Lite). Not to mention OnePlus gaining serious steam. I'm resisting snagging an SE for beach / outdoor / vacation backup duty. Form factor is so perfect for when on the go and active.

launch SE2 with X internals. I don't even need big screen (I have iPhone 6). Make it waterproof like other phones and I'll buy it straight away. Fed up with these inflated prices and huge phones.

I use an SE 64GB as my daily driver, and just bought a 128GB to replace it. The 64GB will become my backup/travel phone (my old 5s is now). But therein lies the biggest problem. I have to put it in a waterproof case in order to use it on vacation, and that kind of defeats the whole purpose. Making a phone this size waterproof is essential. I've seen people stick the larger water-resistant iPhones sans case in their swim trunks at the beach, and it looks ridiculous -- but they don't have to worry about the sand and water either. I'd love to be able to slip the SE in my swim trunks, and not worry about it, but it looks even dumber in its waterproof case.

The iPhone 5S that came out in 2013 is still supported by Apple. Expect at least three more years of software and security updates, and five more years of service support for the SE. You have nothing to worry about.

I just bought a 128GB SE this morning, and with Apple Care, they have to support it 100% for the next three years. I can't imagine this phone won't get two more OS updates to cover it almost the entire time. It's definitely getting 13. The last thing Apple wants is a newly sold phone that they have to support in which the old software creates service problems for them.

Make phones small again!

View attachment 819282

Seeing this reminds me of an argument I saw two wealthy men get into about who had the smallest phone, as a sign of status. My how things have changed.

Reactions: yojason

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The other thing I think worth mentioning, is Apple is not really advertising this. It’s just on their clearance website, so the average consumer likely wouldn’t even know the SE was back in stock, unless they were searching for it. Or, if someone would frequent sites like this, 9-to-5 Mac, etc. So it’s not like Apple is making some big announcement, they’re just secretly putting it out there, which leads me to believe how closely are they monitoring these ‘Flash type’ sales.

yojason

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
SoCal

Apple has replenished stock of the iPhone SE on its online clearance store for the third time this month. These are brand new, unopened, and unlocked models starting at $249 in the United States. Availability dwindled very quickly in the each of the first two times the iPhone SE was added, so act fast.

iphone-se-clearance-third-800x510.jpg

Apple is offering the iPhone SE with 32GB of storage for $249 and with 128GB for $299 in Silver, Space Gray, Gold, and Rose Gold. Tech specs include a 4-inch Retina display, A9 chip, Touch ID, 12-megapixel rear camera, and 3.5mm headphone jack.

Prior to being pulled, the iPhone SE was available with 32GB and 128GB of storage for $349 and $449 respectively, so Apple is offering $100 to $150 off. The device was originally released in March 2016 and was popular among fans of smaller smartphones and those who preferred the iPhone 5-like design.

(Thanks, Bob!)

Article Link: iPhone SE Makes Third Appearance on Apple's Clearance Store at $249--Act Fast

Argh!!! I missed out on the 128gb again!
[doublepost=1548977298][/doublepost]
I GOT IT I ****ING FINALLY GOT IT WOOOOOOO! 128GB in Space Gray!

What's funny is that I ordered a 64GB iPhone SE from an eBay seller basically new in box and it's arriving today because I didn't think this would happen again. Whoops. I guess I'll have to sell that privately now.

I'm just happy because I just missed the first two times.

Jealous!!!!!!
[doublepost=1548977365][/doublepost]
The other thing I think worth mentioning, is Apple is not really advertising this. It’s just on their clearance website, so the average consumer likely wouldn’t even know the SE was back in stock, unless they were searching for it. Or, if someone would frequent sites like this, 9-to-5 Mac, etc. So it’s not like Apple is making some big announcement, they’re just secretly putting it out there, which leads me to believe how closely are they monitoring these ‘Flash type’ sales.

And I suppose that I should as well... I hope there’s a 4th opportunity!

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Very well said, (and beautifully expressed); the exact same thought crossed my mind.

Some of us like the smaller (and more elegant) form factor; personally, I love the iPhone SE - it fits nicely in a pocket, and can be used with one hand - and loathe those monstrosities that are currently fashionable.
I will keep the SE until the bitter end if apple doesn't make a new phone with a reasonable size. (4inch - 4,7inch without big bezels)

I used to upgrade my iPhone every two years. Then I got the 6 but after the SE came out I switched immediately back to 4inches due to the form factor. It holds up well and I still love it.

Me too! I went 5 -> 6 -> SE, and I’m keeping the SE as long as I can.

Reactions: redfirebird08

Musocat

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2005
Hollywood
The other thing I think worth mentioning, is Apple is not really advertising this...

True. I had no clue until I saw the link here. I ordered one immediately!

It's the only phone without the camera bump on the back. I can't imagine Saint Steve approving the protruding lenses on the current models.

I'd love for Apple to keep this form factor as an option and just upgrade the guts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.