iPhone Seeing Some Issues?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Businessweek cites an analyst with iSuppli that the iPhone may be seeing some minor delays due to ongoing issues. According to Jagdish Rebello, "various iPhone suppliers have been told that the iPhone may not be available until the end of June."
We're hearing it's mostly an issue with the complexity of the device, and that all the component suppliers are making their deliveries on time
Apple has not specified when in June the iPhone would ship, but some have speculated that the iPhone would arrive near the Worldwide Developer's Conference which starts on June 11th.

Rebello speculates that the delay in Leopard was prompted by an unexpected shift in personnel from Leopard to the iPhone: "It's clear they have found some issues that they need to fix." Another analyst who has tested the phone states that they didn't uncover any problems with it but points out that "Apple wants to get it right the first time."

Meanwhile, Shaw Wu believes that the Leopard delay was due to the "secret" features that have not yet been revealed: "Our analysis indicates that if not for the 'secret' features, the core Leopard operating system would likely have shipped on time,"

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
this is just great

apple delays leopard and now the iPhone

apple really needs to stick to what they say

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
this is just great

1) This is all speculation by generally uninformed analysts.
2) This is also a few analysts starting to pickup on what Apple already stated ... jumping in to make it sound like they know something.
3) Apple stated June for the iPhone way back when and Apple stated a few days ago June for the iPhone... lets wait until June or a statement from Apple on a date change.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
this is just great

It's hard to do that when you depend on other companies to supply the components.

It's just like when Apple claimed the G5 would be at 3Ghz, but due to IBM's fab problems, they never got to their declared goal.

Don't blame Apple for the shortcomings of other companies.

bubba451

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
This just in:

Due to delays in Leopard, Apple has had to pull engineers from the iPhone, thereby slipping its ship date.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
They never said ready june 11th, just ready in june. Since they also reconfirmed that in their recent press release I bet they will realease it on time (in June) since i can't wait to get my hands on one, june does still feel like a long time

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I am so sick of iPhone this and iPhone that....until the thing comes comes out, who cares???

belovedmonster

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
Its bad luck for Apple that a few projects seem to have been delayed back to back. I say bad luck because I am sick of reading people saying how Apple has completely betrayed them because of a few delayed products. Get over it. They don't lie on purpose, they try to get the thing done on time and work 23 hours a day when they find out thats not going to happen.

Max Payne

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
I have no problem in delaying Leopard nor iPhone. Let them all be released when ready.

I prefer the iPhone not being released instead of having the zune released problems.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
"It's clear they have found some issues that they need to fix."

"Clear," is it? Sound like a bit of a strech to me. I'll go with "possible" :) (No great shock that a new product would have "issues" still unfinished 2 months before release.)

I am so sick of iPhone this and iPhone that....until the thing comes comes out, who cares???
So people should only care when it comes out... after it already IS out? :eek:

One thing I like to do if a product makes me angry is to not spend time reading stories about it :) Granted, I don't generally get THAT upset about future products...

Its bad luck for Apple that a few projects seem to have been delayed back to back. I say bad luck because I am sick of reading people saying how Apple has completely betrayed them because of a few delayed products. Get over it. They don't lie on purpose, they try to get the thing done on time and work 23 hours a day when they find out thats not going to happen.
But NO other company EVER has delays of weeks (iPhone--wait Apple never said June 11, rumors did) or months (Leopard) or years (Vista--wait, that's not Apple). Never :D

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Human Resource - Why not hire more?

Why does Apple not just hire a few more engineers/developers/QA people? Sounds like they could use them anyway in the long term.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Where do I have to apply to get to be an analyst? I'm full of wild speculation, unfounded predictions, and I have a general commitment to keeping the word truth as loosely defined as possible. :D

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
Honestly is Shaw Wu ever right lately? where is the touch screen full video iPod?

There's more to be done then just the iPhone it's self. I'm sure apple is still working on the iTunes ring tones deal with the recording companies and other things we don't even know about yet. Not to mention the peripherals that go it with it.

bring out those slick little bluetooth head sets promptly pleease apple. :D

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Think positive*

There goes my stock!
It's not an AAPL stock price drop, it's a buying opportunity :)

*I realize the proper grammar is "Think positively," but I just wanted to riff off Apple's grammatically-(ahem!)interesting slogan.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Why should anyone be surprised if iPhone is late? A lot of Apple products have been late.

Apple have a lot of dependencies, e.g., suppliers. If they are late shipping components, thats going to affect Apple.

Sometimes its out of Apple hands. Maybe this time its the complexity of the iPhone software and late arrival of 3rd party hardware components.

HailToTheVictor

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
See you in 2008. Seriously, release things when they are promised. If Apple would, from the onset, add three months to their 'original' ship estimates and then release things *cough* early, Steve would look like a hero, and the stock would soar. Just a thought.

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
this is just great

And the World has now ended. So far Apple has stuck to what they said. iPhone... June. That's it. Leopard, June.. October. Really, I don't care. My computer, running Tiger, still works just as good as it did yesterday. If you're basing your business or personal computing lifestyle on technology that doesn't exist or isn't available yet, you're doomed to fail.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
The iPhone is a huge bet for Apple, Inc. Accordingly, it would be better to take the time to get it right than it would be to release it with known issues. It has the potential to be another iPod in the impact it could have on Apple, and it is coming out under a LOT more scrutiny--the iPod was nowhere near as anticipated a product.

Best,

Bob

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Why does Apple not just hire a few more engineers/developers/QA people? Sounds like they could use them anyway in the long term.
That's something Microsoft and others have been criticized for. I do NOT want to see Apple make the same mistake. There's a book on this very mistake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

Doubling the number of programmers or engineers does NOT halve the time to complete a project--especially when they are dumped in after the fact. Throwing late staff additions at a product can actually reduce quality and make the project even more behind until features have to be cut.

"Assigning more programmers to a project running behind schedule will make it even later, due to the time required for the new programmers to learn about the project, as well as the increased communication overhead."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.