iPhone Share of Smartphone Sales Continues to Increase

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Research firm Gartner today released a report detailing mobile phone sales for the second quarter of 2009. While Apple does not rank among the top five worldwide vendors for all phones, the report also highlights the smaller smartphone segment, where Apple held the third position in unit sales with 13.3% of that market. Apple's market share is up from 10.8% in the first quarter of this year and from only 2.8% in the year-ago quarter.

The significant increase in the year-over-year data is due in large part to the timing of Apple's product releases. Because the iPhone 3G was not launched until July 2008, Apple's sales number for the second quarter of that year reflected potential customers holding out for the new model and did not include the sales numbers generated at the device's launch. With the iPhone 3GS launching in June of this year, the initial sales bump, which included one million iPhone 3G models sold in the launch weekend and continued brisk sales in the remaining week of the month, was included in Gartner's data. Gartner also notes that the early June iPhone 3G price drop to $99 contributed to increased sales for Apple.
Apple's expansion into a larger number of countries in the past year has produced a clear effect on sales volumes, as have the recent price adjustments on the 8GB 3G iPhone. Sales of 5.4 million units in the second quarter of 2009 indicated a 51 per cent growth in shipments and helped Apple maintain the No. 3 position in the smartphone market, where it has stayed since the third quarter of 2008. Apple brought its much-anticipated new device -- the iPhone 3G S -- to market at the end of the second quarter of 2009, but its full potential will only start to show in the sales figures in the second half of 2009.
Article Link: iPhone Share of Smartphone Sales Continues to Increase

iGod 2.0

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Wow...

If Apple can accomplish this with just single carrier partners around the world. Could you imagine if they went universal and made the iPhone available on most carriers like RIM or Nokia. Because of that was the case, RIM and Nokia would be in a world of trouble. Numbers really don't lie I guess.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Wow. I must have been living under a rock somewhere because I haven't seen a Nokia smart phone. They have a huge share of the smartphone market too.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
wait, so just because i think its one way that's not the way it is? Page 2 *yawn*

Nokia smartphones must be huge overseas. Here in the US, I know exactly zero people who use one.
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Wow. I must have been living under a rock somewhere because I haven't seen a Nokia smart phone. They have a huge share of the smartphone market too.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT

You live in the US. Nokia has a much stronger presence elsewhere.

P-Worm

safasule

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
Denmark
Great news for stockholders and corporate! With the huge new Apple campus in Cupertino, I can only imagine Steve Jobs being happy with these numbers.

iGod 2.0

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009

Well in the US and Japan, there presence is not big. Else were though, they are a hefty amount of them.

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
If AT&T didn't have a monopoly over it, shares would increase exponentially.
One thing i always wondered was, lets say that Apple made the Iphone available on all four carriers in the US, would it just over-saturate the market with iPhones, and lead to something along the lines of Motorola and the Razr, where everyone had one, so no one wanted it anymore?

Packersfan27

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2008
Good job iPhone :D

I am surprised, like others had posted, that Nokia has such a large market share. Those things must be pretty popular in Europe and Asia!

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
If Apple can accomplish this with just single carrier partners around the world. Could you imagine if they went universal and made the iPhone available on most carriers like RIM or Nokia. Because of that was the case, RIM and Nokia would be in a world of trouble. Numbers really don't lie I guess.
Actually Nokia smartphones outsell the iPhone at the Carphone Warehouse which is one of only three distribution channels in the UK (the others being Apple and O2) despite Nokia's being available everywhere else so I'm not sure the iPhone being available on the other carriers would make a difference (transferring carriers here is very easy - just get your PAC code and switch).

I don't think Americans realise just how utterly dominant Nokia are because Nokia has next to no presence in the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.