Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sths-gr

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Greece
One thing i always wondered was, lets say that Apple made the Iphone available on all four carriers in the US, would it just over-saturate the market with iPhones, and lead to something along the lines of Motorola and the Razr, where everyone had one, so no one wanted it anymore?

To say that everyone had one means that they had achieved their goal! :rolleyes:

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Palm must be listed under "Others". It will be interesting when Verizon starts selling the Pre.

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
Nokia

Perhaps this is just a egotistical American view, but if the Nokia smart phones were all that great, you'd think they would have been here by now, wouldn't you? I've always thought Nokia phones were pretty "no frills" myself, but admittedly I haven't seen one of their "smartphones"

safasule

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
Denmark
Perhaps this is just a egotistical American view, but if the Nokia smart phones were all that great, you'd think they would have been here by now, wouldn't you? I've always thought Nokia phones were pretty "no frills" myself, but admittedly I haven't seen one of their "smartphones"

+1

They're everywhere in Scandinavia but iPhone sales are said to be through the roof even in this edge of nowhere. Also, Nokia's phones are ugly, huge and have horrible hardware configurations.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
If Apple can accomplish this with just single carrier partners around the world. Could you imagine if they went universal and made the iPhone available on most carriers like RIM or Nokia.

Jeez really. It'd be fairly ridiculous if just One other carrier got the iPhone.
(and Apple isn't giving away any iPhones for free either, unlike RIM)

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
US or Europe Ahead?

Actually Nokia smartphones outsell the iPhone at the Carphone Warehouse which is one of only three distribution channels in the UK (the others being Apple and O2) despite Nokia's being available everywhere else so I'm not sure the iPhone being available on the other carriers would make a difference (transferring carriers here is very easy - just get your PAC code and switch).

I don't think Americans realise just how utterly dominant Nokia are because Nokia has next to no presence in the US.

As usual the US is ahead of Europe, with little or no Nokia smartphones. I don't miss them. Since no else uses them in the USA they don't miss them either.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Uh... RIM increased sales by over 2 million.

Yeah, I know. Mainly, notice that "others" went from 25.1 % to 13.9 %. I'm assuming that is where the bulk of the new iPhones cannibalized from. I think most of this was people trading in their Motorola RAZR phones for iPhones.

Apple's next goal should be to increase their sales beyond the "other" category. In Q209, Apple sold 5435K phones while "other" sold 5688K phones. To be a dominant player in the market (keyword: "dominant"), Apple needs to sell more phones than the "other" category.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
As usual the US is ahead of Europe, with little or no Nokia smartphones. I don't miss them. Since no else uses them in the USA they don't miss them either.

Actually no. Your phone market is somewhat backwards compared to Europe and Asia.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Smartphones is what this is about

Yeah, I know. Mainly, notice that "others" went from 25.1 % to 13.9 %. I'm assuming that is where the bulk of the new iPhones cannibalized from. I think most of this was people trading in their Motorola RAZR phones for iPhones.

But is a RAZR a Smartphone? I don't consider my KRAZR to be anything other than a regular dumb phone. It does the job of a cell phone as it is designed to do, but not to be a smartphone.

What is the list of smartphones in this market comparison? The Palm Pre only had a few weeks. Palm's old models would be here.

What does Nokia have to offer?

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Nokia smartphones must be huge overseas. Here in the US, I know exactly zero people who use one.

over here, Nokia and HTC is huge. Apple is still too expensive ... we usually buy the phone outright, so we don't get locked into a ridiculous contract.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA

Actually, having a larger variety to choose from is a sign of a healthier market. So, technically Europe has a healthier market for the consumer.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Since Microsoft does not have a smartphone hardware as it were in the running, just the "OS", I wonder where there standing is as of today? Remembering the YouTube video of Steve Ballmer laughing at Apple's most expensive iPhone and won't be a success because it doesn't have a keyboard...

Who's laughing now?! :eek:

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU

have fun on your ****** 7-21Mb/s networks. i'll stick with our "behind" 150Mb/s network.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Actually no. Your phone market is somewhat backwards compared to Europe and Asia.

Is that because we choose the iPhone & RIM phones over the Nokia phones or because we still have use for wired phones in our Wild West? With non-metered wired service there is no out of the box incentive to go to cell phones.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Is that because we choose the iPhone & RIM phones over the Nokia phones or because we still have use for wired phones in our Wild West? With non-metered wired service there is no out of the box incentive to go to cell phones.

Nah, it's the choice of carrier, coverage and range of handsets. Nothing wrong with RIM or Apple it's just that they aren't top dog here.

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
You live in the US. Nokia has a much stronger presence elsewhere.

P-Worm

Also keep in mind it's just the smartphones (mainly N series). Nokia ships around 100 million phones per quarter in total (20 million "smartphones" + 80 million "non smartphones").

It's probably because overseas the priority on phones seems to be different than to the US. In Europe it's now important to support stuff like HSUPA, rSAP etc. Also HSDPA 21Mbit/s is on it's way here. The iPhone doesn't do that kind of stuff yet.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
have fun on your ****** 7-21Mb/s networks. i'll stick with our "behind" 150Mb/s network.

Yet, the wired.com survey places AT&T as the third fastest 3G iphone network in the whole world --- beating a lot of carriers who promote their much faster "paper spec" networks.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006

Apple's next goal should be to increase their sales beyond the "other" category. In Q209, Apple sold 5435K phones while "other" sold 5688K phones. To be a dominant player in the market (keyword: "dominant"), Apple needs to sell more phones than the "other" category.

The majority of the "others" category is Windows Mobile smartphones that are not made by HTC (where HTC had about 30% of the Windows Mobile market share).

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/01/29/samsung-moto-pull-ahead-of-htc-in-windows-mobile-market-share/

On a iphone launch quarter --- Apple got a 2.5% market share boost. In Q1, Apple had a 10.8% market share.

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/05/20/iphone-market-share-doubled-in-q1-gartner/

Zarniwoop

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2009
West coast, Finland

You've got half truth there (about the egotistical thing). ;)

There's one big reason why Nokia is small in the US: mobile operators "monopoly". Accroding to yesterdays OECD report, US citizen pay premium for their mobile use. Over four times more than in Scandinavia or most of Europe.
Here's the report: http://www.oecd.org/document/20/0,3343,en_2649_201185_43471316_1_1_1_1,00.html

And why is that? US mobile operators want to have their specific phone models (to force for a long time contracts). Sure you get a phone free, but with a long contract you end up to pay four times as much as Europeans. Nokia has not want to make their phones operator specific so then they've been out of the market. Nokia's business model has been that you can buy the phone for any operator you want. But.. money talks and I've heard that US will see few operator specific models soon.

Sure most Nokia phone models are cheap and boring, but not all of them. I have E71 and it has been the best phone I've ever owned. I considered iPhone too, but it was quite expensive, it lacked 3G back then and I'd had to broke its operator lock. That must be one reason why iPhone is not that popular here, because of its one operator policy.

About E71
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/review/2008/07/08/Nokia-E71/p1

Ps. Not working for or other connections to Nokia corp.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
You've got half truth there (about the egotistical thing). ;)

There's one big reason why Nokia is small in the US: mobile operators "monopoly". Accroding to yesterdays OECD report, US citizen pay premium for their mobile use. Over four times more than in Scandinavia or most of Europe.
Here's the report: http://www.oecd.org/document/20/0,3343,en_2649_201185_43471316_1_1_1_1,00.html

And why is that? US mobile operators want to have their specific phone models (to force for long time contracts). Sure you get a phone free, but with a long contract you end up to pay four times as much as Europeans. Nokia has not want to make most of their phone models operator specific so then they've been out of the market. Nokia's business model is that you can buy the phone for any operator you want. But.. money talks and I've heard that US will see few operator specific models soon.

Sure most Nokia phone models are cheap and boring, but not all of them. I have E71 and it has been the best phone I've ever owned. I considered iPhone too, but it was quite expensive, it lacked 3G back then and I'd had to broke its operator lock. That must be one reason why iPhone is not that popular here, because of its one operator policy.

About E71

It has NOTHING to do with monopoly --- it has EVERYTHING to do with Nokia refusing to sell flip phones.

The OECD study is flawed because an AVERAGE American talks about 800 minutes per month, but the OECD study classified MEDIUM usage as 780 minutes per year. That's like classifying the Smart Car or the Mini Cooper as a full size family sedan.

uricmu

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2007
I'm surprised at the Nokia share - I haven't seen anyone using one in the US, though I know they're popular in other countries.

The Apple marketshare is actually impressive, considering that the iPhone is not sold officially in much of the world.

Zarniwoop

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2009
West coast, Finland
It has NOTHING to do with monopoly --- it has EVERYTHING to do with Nokia refusing to sell flip phones.

True about flip phones. But topic was about smartphones. I put the word monopoly inside quotes because I meant that mobile operators want to have a monopoly on a specific phone model.

On the OECD list there was also a chart of heavy use. Same figures.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
About E71

Wow that thing looks more primitive than even most Blackberry devices. It is not even in the same league as the iPhone. I would call that a slightly less dumb phone. Where is the full HTML browser? Where the the HTML email? I have not even gotten to the lack of a touch screen interface.

It can do email and has a slightly bigger screen but otherwise, I don't see a huge difference between it and old Nokia dumb phones that I've owned in the past. You are comparing iPhones to that? :rolleyes:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

I think a huge reason Nokia is not in the US is because of the carrier locks. They just do not want to play the game as much as everyone else in carrier subsidies because it does limit the phones so they choose not to play in the US.

As for the iPhone I think it is going to level off and not grow much more. It has it huge spike and now I think with other competitors coming out it is going to put a squeeze on the iPhone so to speak.

RIM is going to release the Onyx and the Magnum in the next 6 months and those will be a huge improvement for their phones move even more to the g3 line up. Other are dropping some rather nice phones out.

I think apple may get to 15-17% and not really grow much beyond that in the smart phone market.

While I like the iPhone I will not get one. I would rather have a Blackberry or HTC and an iPod touch. I do not want my media and my phone getting mixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.