Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobgeorge71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I have a 128gb iPhone 6S Plus and today it just randomly filled up its storage to almost full. Last time I checked I was only using 35gb and I haven't downloaded anything huge since then. I'm thinking it might be a corrupt app but under the storage section in Settings none of my apps have jumped a huge number.
[doublepost=1456280940][/doublepost]Yep, I just added up what's shown in Settings. It's 33.4 gb used and it says I have 111.11 gb used.

bobgeorge71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Try restarting it and then you can try one of those apps that clear junk space taken up on the phone. I use battery doctor.
I've restarted multiple times which didn't do anything. I tried battery doctor but it only took away a few mb of space. The only other thing I can think of doing is either restoring from a backup which would only bring back the corrupt app if that's what it is or delete each app one by one until I find what's taking up the space. The funny thing is though is that it isn't showing up under the Settings. When I add up all the storage it only adds up to 33.4 gb.

bobgeorge71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Yea it's looking like a restore is the only option now. Thanks for the help everyone.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
There is a glitch with battery doctor since 9.2. After you get the pop-up saying storage is almost full and it deletes data, you have to restart your device and run the app again to clear more data. It's an absolute pain but if you do it 5-6 times it will clear everything. I get 1-2GB back weekly.

slbfltrn

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2016
I had the same problem couple months ago right after getting my iPhone 6s plus, did a hard reset and everything was great till last night and again showing my 128gb storage only has 5gb free???????? yesterday morning it was 89gb free???? at a loss... Guess I will have to do a hard reset again, not sure if a glitch or what. I have tried all the other tricks to no avail.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I had the same problem couple months ago right after getting my iPhone 6s plus, did a hard reset and everything was great till last night and again showing my 128gb storage only has 5gb free???????? yesterday morning it was 89gb free???? at a loss... Guess I will have to do a hard reset again, not sure if a glitch or what. I have tried all the other tricks to no avail.

When you plug it into iTunes, what does it say at the bottom for memory. Something has to be taking up the space.

slbfltrn

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2016
It shows documents and data taking up almost all my space. Not sure if a faulty program I looked at all my apps and nothing makes sense. Just really frustrating, this happen back in December and I did a complete restore. I have kept very close tab on my storage and until last night it was fine.

slbfltrn

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2016
I restored it back to last back up and the my storage returned. Weird I will have to keep a closer eye on which app may be the culprit.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I restored it back to last back up and the my storage returned. Weird I will have to keep a closer eye on which app may be the culprit.

I'm running 9.3, beta 5 on an iPhone 6-64gb. Since updating to the latest beta, I've lost all of my free memory. I've literally watched available memory drop from 6gb to 0 over a few hours with no new apps or pictures or music added. Plugged into iTunes, and it shows a very different value...closer to 5gb. One thing I noted was that podcast had downloaded about 3 gb worth of video...I deleted this, but it did not 'credit' the phone with this space. Since then, I've deleted hundreds of photos, a few apps...and still...no increase in space.

I attempted to restore the phone, but it can't...probably due to the fact that I am using beta sw. One thing that seems like an obvious place to go is the 'documents and data' segment of the memory bar. It shows 19.5gb! I'm not even sure where that would be...? some in iMessage, some in vm?

after an hour of deleting items...I'm still at only 2.5gb free on the phone (iTunes shows 4.5gb). Suggestions?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm running 9.3, beta 5 on an iPhone 6-64gb. Since updating to the latest beta, I've lost all of my free memory. I've literally watched available memory drop from 6gb to 0 over a few hours with no new apps or pictures or music added. Plugged into iTunes, and it shows a very different value...closer to 5gb. One thing I noted was that podcast had downloaded about 3 gb worth of video...I deleted this, but it did not 'credit' the phone with this space. Since then, I've deleted hundreds of photos, a few apps...and still...no increase in space.

I attempted to restore the phone, but it can't...probably due to the fact that I am using beta sw. One thing that seems like an obvious place to go is the 'documents and data' segment of the memory bar. It shows 19.5gb! I'm not even sure where that would be...? some in iMessage, some in vm?

after an hour of deleting items...I'm still at only 2.5gb free on the phone (iTunes shows 4.5gb). Suggestions?
Download Battery Doctor.

Now, there is a glitch with Battery Doctor since 9.2 but there is a workaround:

Open Battery Doctor, go to junk cleaner. Click clean. If you get a pop-up stating "Storage Almost Full" it will clear out junk from the device. Turn off the device, turn it back on and run Battery Doctor again. Do this until you get the pop-up and it clears out nothing. You may have to restart the device 6-7 times. I do this once a week and get back 2-3GB a week.

They key thing is what is stated above. If you get the pop-up you must restart the device to get the pop-up to register again. You may see the device clear junk without the pop-up but it will be very minimal. Only major junk files are cleared when the pop-up is displayed. Every time the pop-up occurs, restart the device. Once you get the pop-up but no more space is being freed, you are done.

I know I am being repetitive but its really important or it won't work.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
Download Battery Doctor.

Now, there is a glitch with Battery Doctor since 9.2 but there is a workaround:

Open Battery Doctor, go to junk cleaner. Click clean. If you get a pop-up stating "Storage Almost Full" it will clear out junk from the device. Turn off the device, turn it back on and run Battery Doctor again. Do this until you get the pop-up and it clears out nothing. You may have to restart the device 6-7 times. I do this once a week and get back 2-3GB a week.

They key thing is what is stated above. If you get the pop-up you must restart the device to get the pop-up to register again. You may see the device clear junk without the pop-up but it will be very minimal. Only major junk files are cleared when the pop-up is displayed. Every time the pop-up occurs, restart the device. Once you get the pop-up but no more space is being freed, you are done.

I know I am being repetitive but its really important or it won't work.
Thanks! I've been trying it...but the first time it cleared about 690mb. within 20 minutes that was gone again...I've run it several more times, and it seems to only find about 20 mb now. the phone basically just shows 0 available

d3one

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2016
I have the same issue, restore didn't fix it
iTunes says 6.54GB used by Documents and Data
iPhone 6S+ 64GB

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
apple support responded through the beta feedback assistant. They want data from my phone to help figure the problem out, but my phone won't write the diagnostic files they are asking for...the message 'snapshot failed' appears on my phone...over and over

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
it turns out, my case had to do with WhatsApp. They released an update which hinted at the problem...large memory losses for some iphone users...installed and suddenly 19gb were free.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Check out WhatsApp: the last version has a bug that could eat up all the storage available. They released a fix yesterday.

zoejane2016

Suspended
Aug 10, 2016
i guess, if you do not want your iPhone filled with, you can also use some wireless storage devices to add storage, i mean, just not to expand, but to backup all the important files. You may see this video demo for steps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.