Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone to Verizon Wireless? Yes, No, Maybe

• Yes

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • No

Votes: 80 63.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 20 15.9%

• Total voters

kdarling

macrumors P6
If what I have read is to be believed the necessary tech to provide voice over, or side by side, LTE is in the works. The understanding is that by the time the next generation (2011 or later) is in production the solution will be found.

Yes, Verizon has recently shifted gears (probably because of the intense interest in 4G phones) and now says they'll be doing voice over LTE with their first LTE phones... and that they'll have three to five of those within a year from now.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I was in the wireless industry at the time of the TDMA and CDMA rollouts. My TDMA phone was horrendous. People often sounded like they were talking underwater.

CDMA on the other hand did not have those issues. CDMA was always superior when it came to voice quality. And at the time GSM was nothing but a European standard that they chose to market at "Global". Other countries were testing CDMA as well. So it was a toss-up.

Edit: And exactly how would this end carrier exclusivity anyway?

If VZW, or Sprint for that matter, were to have used GSM, that would give Apple more options to use for a US based carrier that uses an internationally used standard. Apple could have then launched the iPhone on more than one US-based network, similar to how they did with Vodafone, Optus, and Telstra in Australia.

But neither did, so Apple didn't.

BL.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
If VZW, or Sprint for that matter, were to have used GSM, that would give Apple more options to use for a US based carrier that uses an internationally used standard. Apple could have then launched the iPhone on more than one US-based network, similar to how they did with Vodafone, Optus, and Telstra in Australia.

But neither did, so Apple didn't.

BL.

You can't reasonably blame decisions...that at the time were for very good reason.....made 20 years ago for the status of the iPhone today. That's just asinine

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
You can't reasonably blame decisions...that at the time were for very good reason.....made 20 years ago for the status of the iPhone today. That's just asinine

No-one said that it was just for the status of the iPhone today.

20 years ago, being with Sprint, with my Nokia 6185i (i being international), I couldn't send a SMS message from the internet to myself, nor could a friend of mine with her Nokia 5110i. My friend's phone was GSM. Mine was not (CDMA). Quick change to ATT using a similar model phone for ATT, and it worked.

Sprint and VZW, with their networks, pretty much told the phone makers to make phones for their network, otherwise they weren't going to sell anything of theirs on their network. Nokia flipped them the bird and stopped making them for CDMA, because they felt that, like in Europe, the customer should be able to take their phone anywhere they want, pop in the SIM card for that network, and have service on that network.

Note, that you still can NOT do that with Sprint, and VZW, to this day, 20 years later. Sprint and VZW pretty much alienated themselves from the world by using CDMA and trying to pass it as the standard for the US. The rest of the world could have been open to them if they made the decision back then to adopt GSM.

BL.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

bradl said:

No-one said that it was just for the status of the iPhone today.

20 years ago, being with Sprint, with my Nokia 6185i (i being international), I couldn't send a SMS message from the internet to myself, nor could a friend of mine with her Nokia 5110i. My friend's phone was GSM. Mine was not (CDMA). Quick change to ATT using a similar model phone for ATT, and it worked.

Sprint and VZW, with their networks, pretty much told the phone makers to make phones for their network, otherwise they weren't going to sell anything of theirs on their network. Nokia flipped them the bird and stopped making them for CDMA, because they felt that, like in Europe, the customer should be able to take their phone anywhere they want, pop in the SIM card for that network, and have service on that network.

Note, that you still can NOT do that with Sprint, and VZW, to this day, 20 years later. Sprint and VZW pretty much alienated themselves from the world by using CDMA and trying to pass it as the standard for the US. The rest of the world could have been open to them if they made the decision back then to adopt GSM.

BL.

You have no idea what you're talking about. That's not how it went down at all.

But it has no meaning to the iPhone today and I need sleep so I'm not going to sit here and regurgitate history to you. (BTW. At the time I was a national trainer travelling across the nation working with multiple carriers.)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

You have no idea what you're talking about. That's not how it went down at all.

That's nice.

In fact, I do know what I am talking about. I worked for Sprint and one of Sprint's competitors between 1998 and 2002, in Las Vegas. But I digress.

But it has no meaning to the iPhone today and I need sleep so I'm not going to sit here and regurgitate history to you. (BTW. At the time I was a national trainer travelling across the nation working with multiple carriers.)

Okay, I'll call you out. regurgitate it.

BL.

Mike2128

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
People want flat rates for their bandwidth, and the company that offers them that will get their business. Verizon won't be it, when they go to this, and their competitors keep with flat rates.

I'm not sure how much you know about the following (you may know all about it), but some may not, so here it is...

Part of the provision of the 700MHz LTE frequency band is that it maintain a level of "openness" with regards to how a customer can choose to use spectrum. What this means is that, essentially, so long as a device is deemed "safe" and not malicious to the network and its users by the FCC and by the service provider (after testing processes by both), they have no choice but to activate it within this frequency band.

With Clearwire's WiMax, there is no such specification and therefore they are still allowed to restrict access to whatever devices they deem fit, as Verizon and Sprint are currently allowed to do with CDMA.

In this way, 700MHz spectrum owners are really going to have to be more strict on pricing tiers. Imagine the possibilities with regards to devices that could EASILY consume TB's upon TB's of data on a monthly basis. They can't risk inundating their network for the small number of devices that could do a inordinate amount of traffic. Sprint can afford to offer all you can eat because it's business as usual for them, just on a grander scale.

Picture a small side street that has a cop standing at its end. He's decided that, yes, a truck driver may drive down this road but only one may do so every hour. If these trucks were to pass through at their own leisure, the street would quickly become blocked and congested.

Separately, there's another side street with another cop who says, 'sure, drive down as much as you want!' but only allows cars/SUV's/cycles to go through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.