iPhone to Verizon Wireless?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SeanEE89, Apr 23, 2010.

?

iPhone to Verizon Wireless? Yes, No, Maybe

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. No

80 vote(s)
    63.5%
  3. Maybe

20 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. SeanEE89 macrumors regular

ModNote: Please stop creating new Verizon iPhone threads. Either use the "official" news threads or use this as your one-stop shopping. --mkrishnan

I have been hearing that the next generation of iPhone will not be coming to Verizon Wireless. Is this true?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

haha I know it's a little played out. I just heard a recent rumor, and I wanted to see what people knew, and I didn't want to go based off of what was said in previous threads.

Googled didn't help me much in my search for the truth.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nobody here knows anything. Your poll is worthless. None of us have anything to offere except conjecture. In fact, I'd say a Google search is of more value.

5. SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

I was only finding older articles. I'm just trying to see what people may know or think based on the recent news about the "lost" iPhone that Gizmodo came into possession of. I'm just asking a simple yes no maybe so question.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nobody here knows, but you will get a lot of what they think.

The recent iPhone discovery told us absolutely nothing about a potential Verizon phone. Based on the micro-sim one could easily deduce that it is most likely a GSM only phone.

Edit: Use Google's advanced features to limit your search results to the last week.

7. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

This. :p

8. jesterscourt macrumors regular

I think doubtful. Instead of just making baseless assumptions, let me state why I feel that way:

LTE vs CDMA... Verizon Wireless currently runs on a CDMA-based wireless technology. While it has it's own benefits over GSM, there is a major downside... no data and voice connections at the same time. It's one or the other, not both. This is why if you have a Verizon Wireless smartphone and you are talking, you'd notice you can't get MMS messages at the same time. Or browse the web. Why would Apple release an iPhone in 2010 that doesn't do what previous models are capable of? The short answer is the LTE buildout, the next technology, will support this. Verizon Wireless' buildout is allegedly starting this year, so maybe we'll see a dual-band phone LTE/CDMA, but I doubt that'd occur this year.

Branding... Verizon Wireless brand all of their phones. It's been awhile, but when you turn on your iPhone, does it have an ATT logo on the boot screen? How about a death star logo on the casing/front? Yeah, I didn't think so.

So there you go.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think the iPhone will be coming to Verizon any time soon.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Because they can. And to get access to Verizon's subscriber base. Money is money.

Edit: Let's not forget that the first iPhone was Edge only.

Article on Verizon's LTE:
    http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=190875&f_src=lightreading_gnews

It would be reasonable to think that a hybrid CDMA/LTE device could be in the works.

Good point, but I'm thinking that Verizon is now ready to conceded on the sticking points that made them pass on the iPhone originally after seeing it's success and a portion of their subscriber base leave.

Edit: But all of this is conjecture on my part. I wouldn't bet more than lunch money on Verizon having an iPhone this year. I would be a week's pay on them getting one in the next 12-18 months.

11. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

not anytime soon......but eventually between a year or 2

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not another Verizon thread.... people it ain't happening.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You're gonna have to eat crow when it does. ;)

14. skelaw macrumors member

Aren't you the one who made the big deal about the supposed iPhone leak being fake? Then was proven wrong?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What are you eating this summer?:D

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nothing. I'll be the first to say that A) I was burned during the last announcements by all the false speculation and B) I honestly think to see a Verizon iPhone come out this summer with what we know today is a bit naive.

However, a holiday release is reasonable/possible in my mind based on reports of the additional factory with production scheduled to start in September. If this is false, I'd expect to see something for sure next year when LTE service is beginning to be more widespread.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/mobility/business/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224200730

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Summer release? With what? There are no rumors about it and if AT&T is reassured this Summer, then don't expect a Verizon iPhone anytime soon.

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

That's what I said, no summer release.

But you yourself are being naive thinking that an AT&T launch rules out a Verizon launch. When Apple rolls out a device on Verizon (or any other carrier), they will not be abandoning AT&T. Therefore an AT&T launch means nothing to Verizon.

What is possible is that AT&T talked Apple into another year of exclusivity when they signed the iPad agreement. But as usual, that's just speculation.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Once again, I said "POSSIBLE". I have been burned too many times to say absolutely....which you guys seem to have no problem doing when you say Verizon won't get an iPhone in such absolute terms. :p

I find it so amusing how people on this forum so often state things as fact when they don't know squat. They are just guessing like the rest of us. Sure, perhaps educated guesses as we all read the the same news announcements, but guessing none the less. Even all of these analysts we read are guessing (although some are more privy to industry rumors than you or I).

21. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Anything is possible. The further we get from the 2007 introduction, the more likely it becomes. It's far more likely to happen than it was a year ago.

Bottom line is that the LTE rollout will take years to complete and cover enough people for it to be successful. Verizon's 3G CDMA as its primary data network has a good 2-3 years left, which is more than enough time for Apple to market a 3G only VZ phone.

But we'll see. I don't know why these conversations get so nasty all the time. It's as if certain people would cry if Apple decided to democratize the phone. I detect some elitism in some people, because the alternative--that there can actually be fanboys of telecoms is scary.

22. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

NO, Apple is not hurt by the whining of Verizon fanboys...and will allow the iPhone on Verizon's network when it utilizes a standard that other carriers around the world use, GSM...when the iPad shows up on Verizon's network then I'll say we're closer to that happening..but with Google trying to cozy up to AT&T I don't see it happening...I speculate that by 2012 Verizon will be ready

23. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

not really. if anything, its less likely. remember those verizon ads about "the island of misfit toys"? that, IMO, completely ended any possibilities of it happening

too bad verizon probably isnt going to use GSM

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    When they write the history books, Apple's exclusivity with ATT could well be seen as a self-defeating marketing decision.

By staying with ATT, Apple has allowed Android to gain a market foothold it might not have otherwise gotten. (Some analysts now predict that Android will surpass the iPhone in market share by 2013.)

Exclusivity has allowed RIM to continue its lead. It has even allowed Palm to stay alive long enough to start putting out GSM models, and perhaps even time to create a new one that will save it.