iPhone trade-in program -- different values for exact same model???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dauber, Jan 4, 2014.

1. dauber macrumors regular

dauber

So, my wife and I went to the Apple Store tonite (Michigan Ave. in Chicago) to get the iPhone 5s. We totally didn't think that our iPhone 4 phones (yes, that's redundant, but "iPhone 4s" and "iPhone 4S" would look too similar) would have any trade-in value, but when the Apple Store guy entered the data from my wife's iPhone 4 -- that it was backed up, Find My iPhone was turned off, etc. -- he found that the phone was eligible for a trade-in of $79. (WOOHOO!!!!)

So, he did the same with my iPhone 4 -- same exact model, bought the EXACT SAME TIME as my wife's, both on the same receipt, from the same SHIPMENT of iPhones (second wave after the first one sold out)....but I was only eligible for a $47 trade-in. The rep didn't know why, nor did the manager on duty.

Why would we get different trade-in values?? Both phones were 100% working condition, not a scratch on 'em...

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Different carriers? Different storage sizes? Different colors?

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Pretty much the only things I can think of.

4. dauber thread starter macrumors regular

dauber

Both AT&T, both black. (White wasn't available yet when we bought the phones in 2010.) Both 16GB.

5. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Could be the prices updated right after he checked your wife's phone... I would recommend try agian or sell your phone on Craigslist for a lot more money.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Different plans? different activation dates?

Really is a moot point. The front line people have no control, they give you what the "computer" says will give you.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Exactly. IMHO, there is much better retail value in Craigslist, although tread those waters lightly.

8. dauber thread starter macrumors regular

dauber

The phones were purchased and activated within minutes of each other. Only thing I can think of is that maybe Apple was only going to take a certain dollar amount worth of recycling per store per day or something, and we had just reached that limit at that moment...

And to tell you the truth, neither of us intended to sell our old phones in the first place. We thought they were pretty much worthless. Last we heard, providers were offering the iPhone 4S -- the model later than ours! -- for FREE. I was basically going to use my old iPhone 4 as a portable gaming device...

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Or as a back-up phone. The iPhone 4 is not totally worthless. It can still have value in it.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Free when you sign a two year contract. $450 without signing a contract.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Any chance one of the iPhones was swapped out under warranty and is a bit newer?

Or they give less $ on the 2nd trade-in assigned to the same household.

12. Idefix macrumors 6502

Apple Genius quoted only $67 for my iPhone 4 32 GB--i kept it as a spare.

Your quotes are pretty good for 16 GB.