Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhornback2

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
Vancouver, Washington
I thought going to the Apple Store was mandatory.

There may be a different policy over seas?
[doublepost=1473523700][/doublepost]
Whether they understand or not, the comments made are, "way to treat your most loyal..." That's BS. Folks on the upgrade program aren't likely more or less loyal, but they DO deserve the same chance everyone else got to pre order. Saying people in the program are most loyal is like me saying I'm most loyal because I pay for the phones outright and don't rely on payment plans. That would be just as absurd.

What I do believe is that people thought somehow that being a part of that program meant they were somehow guaranteed a spot to preorder. I don't know if this is something that Apple implied or users assumed. The tone I saw on Friday was that many seemed to believe they had first dibs or at least a guaranteed spot. If Apple were smart, they would reserve a variety of phones that could handle the upgrade plan user base. It would still mean some didn't get what they wanted as Apple can't plan on which models people want. But they could have handled that much differently. Upgrade plan users got screwed, but the aren't entitled to special treatment because they're in a program similar to those that the carriers have today.

I don't think that's the main argument of people who feel frustrated by the process. It's that they can't reserve any phone no matter how long the wait. And I think it's pretty clear that's the reason. HOWEVER, they should have every reason to feel slighted due to how Apple has promoted the program. This picture below is what was on Apple's site just the day before preorders began.

image.jpeg

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Why should 'Upgrade Program' users have additional privilege over normal paying users? Are normal full-amount paying users less loyal than those on 'Upgrade Program'?

I have been buying iOS and macOS devices annually using FULL PAYMENT over the last 5-6 years at least. I would definitely expect Apple to be fair and allow FULL PAYMENT users to have a fair chance to grab launch stock.

Oh, by the way to those 'Upgrade Program' users who have NEVER in their life sit in front of their system waiting for Apple Store to open and take orders to new launch products, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NORMAL that every year over the last 5-6 years' of new iPhone launch, the hot favourite models get snap up within SECONDS or MINUTES. It is almost like to fight to get it down to the milliseconds (not joking here), not just down to seconds.

Did you read ANY of the prior 18 pages of posts? The upgrade program members don't want to be treated better than regular customers - they just want to be treated equally, and they're not.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
Apple sucks man - this is no way to promote an upgrade program. cant believe the nasty carriers had a better way

It's not like you can't get the phone. You're going to lose your mind because you can't get it on launch day? There are always major supply constraints the first weekend. Everybody is scrambling to get one of a very limited quantity of phones.

mhornback2

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
Vancouver, Washington
I agree. Yes there is a possibility they can get a few more out there but, no other company in the world has to reach this ridiculous demand on such an expensive product within a few months whilst producing other items as well. They're not new to this I believe watching any other company try and produce tens of millions of these devices for the general public this quickly for a launch would be incredibly laughable. Think about how little pressure literally every other phone company has to produce. I don't think people take into account how much more a company like this have to accomplish in smaller windows because of the popularity of their product. No one cares about other products like people care about iPhone.

Also, the sooner they start production, the older the technology becomes before it is released. I'm sure Apple works hard to push the production to the last minute to get the best design and newest technology available.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
There may be a different policy over seas?
[doublepost=1473523700][/doublepost]

I don't think that's the main argument of people who feel frustrated by the process. It's that they can't reserve any phone no matter how long the wait. And I think it's pretty clear that's the reason. HOWEVER, they should have every reason to feel slighted due to how Apple has promoted the program. This picture below is what was on Apple's site just the day before preorders began.

View attachment 649973

It says right on there that you have to make a reservation to go to the Apple Store... Why are people acting surprised?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Hopefully Apple will learn from their experience this year and improve the program by next year's release.

I put in a pre-order for a phone through the upgrade program, but after reading this thread I've decided that I'm going to return it (too late to cancel), and have already ordered a second phone with full payment up front. I don't really want to take a gamble on Apple figuring this out between now and next September.

ramonabynes

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2016
lol, here were are--18 pages in-- and people are still questioning why people want "special priveleges".. JEEZ!!! Nobody else come in here and ask that, ok? :mad:

For the millionth time, The Upgrade Program customers were not given the same opportunity as the regular customers.

Personally, I just signed up for the program Friday morning and I am alarmed by ineffectiveness of the program. Actually I think, yeah the IUP customers should get priority reservations! Maybe even the week before launch. The main perk of the program is CLEARLY upgrading every 12 months, not the fact that it includes apple care. :confused:

Otherwise we would all do att next or whatever carrier program. What is so hard to understand?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Why should 'Upgrade Program' users have additional privilege over normal paying users? Are normal full-amount paying users less loyal than those on 'Upgrade Program'?

I have been buying iOS and macOS devices annually using FULL PAYMENT over the last 5-6 years at least. I would definitely expect Apple to be fair and allow FULL PAYMENT users to have a fair chance to grab launch stock.

Oh, by the way to those 'Upgrade Program' users who have NEVER in their life sit in front of their system waiting for Apple Store to open and take orders to new launch products, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NORMAL that every year over the last 5-6 years' of new iPhone launch, the hot favourite models get snap up within SECONDS or MINUTES. It is almost like to fight to get it down to the milliseconds (not joking here), not just down to seconds.

Did you read ANY of the preceding 18 pages? Upgrade program participants don't want to be treated better than other customers. They simply want to be treated the SAME as other customers, and they haven't been.

Hopefully Apple will learn from their experience this year and improve the program by next year's release.

I pre-ordered an iPhone 7 through the upgrade program, but after reading this thread I ordered another and paid for it upfront. It's too late to cancel the upgrade program order, so I'll be returning that phone. I really don't have a lot of confidence that Apple will iron out these bugs between now and next September.

adrianm2000

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
This is the first year I won't get a new iPhone in launch day. Couldn't get into the website until 12:09, at which point the configuration I wanted was sold out. They know there's going to be a zillion people online. Why not ramp up for that? But year after year, the system is down or people get shut out. And every year they don't produce enough product and sell out. It's all a big mess. I get the whole creating hype / demand thing, but it's gotten out of control. I think it's poor planning and management, and a bit of sadism.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Way to treat your most loyal customers apple. This was a most unmagnificent experience.
Tim doesn't need to care what loyal customers think....he can treat people however he wish (because he's at that level) and people will still buy it.

thefarang

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
What a joke. We have to check the reservation system daily beginning on the September 17th. Who has the time to do this. Apple please revise your advertisement to First to Join, Last to Upgrade!!!

When I went to the Apple Store and spoke with one of the supervisors - who is also on the IUP - he seemed bewildered when I said I had better things to do with my time than remember to check the Apple Store website every day. It was like what I was saying wasn't even in English.

Reactions: ramonabynes

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
The thing is the IUP is broken and the system needs to be sorted by Apple.

I've been buying iPhones outright since 2007 and never taken out a carrier/finance plan. As long as i've woken up on time i've always been able to get my preorder in for the day of the release. When Apple said they were now introducing the IUP in the UK i thought i'd give it a go since i can trade in the following year which will take the hassle out of me having to sell my old phone.

The problem is yesterday like any other day with preorders I was up on time but the reserve an iPhone page for the IUP was broken and kept sending users back to Apple.com. Whilst this was going on i checked what was happening on the buy outright page and saw that was fine with the 128gb jet black 7+ showing as shipping in 4-6 days (i understand there were none on this model ready to ship for the 16th)

By the time the IUP page was up and running not a single store in the UK (yes i went through every single one) had the jetblack/matte black 7+ 128 for reserve and pick up in store.

In the end i was left with nothing except Apple asking me to check back next week.

Bare in mind i'm NOT even on the IUP programme yet, what would happen next year when the 8 comes out and more people are looking to upgrade? I think i might not bother with the IUP and stick with buying outright. If i had done that to begin with I wouldn't have been in this situation now

Reactions: ramonabynes

mtcowdog

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
Jeepers. I just signed up with the IUP this year with an iPhone 7 purchase. I hope they get this worked out to be more reasonable.

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
I think most of us are not asking for special privileges. I'm not even disappointed about stores being out of stock because I get that managing launch day stock with so many partners is hard. What IUP customers are upset about is that normal customers were given a spot in line when stock ran out, while they were given no such option. In essence they were left dangling in the wind. IUP customers would have been satisfied with a spot on a waiting list at their local store. As it stands, they were told to try again on September 17.

EXACTLY!!! This is the point i'm trying to get across. We tried to preoder the second the site went live and the model you wanted was sold out/not available. Apple should have had something in place to say we have reserved your spot for you and once stock arrives you will be notified not a simple try again next week

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
So after discussing this program with Apple, I see some details that I didn't realize before because I've been on contract the past couple of years.

One has to get approved through citizen's bank for a loan...unsure if that's interest free though.
One has to have established credit for approval (interpretation of the tone of the dialogue)
One has to select 12 or 24 months for the program and then must make 12 month's worth of payments before an upgrade can occur. The 12 month's of payment can occur earlier than the 12-month count down but it must occur never-the-less.

And with the later of those, may show if someone may or may not be approved for an upgrade by launch day or with the pre-orders.

I decided to just pay outright when I get mine but just some interesting things the rep was saying.

Modernboy

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
So after discussing this program with Apple, I see some details that I didn't realize before because I've been on contract the past couple of years.

One has to get approved through citizen's bank for a loan...unsure if that's interest free though.
One has to have established credit for approval (interpretation of the tone of the dialogue)
One has to select 12 or 24 months for the program and then must make 12 month's worth of payments before an upgrade can occur. The 12 month's of payment can occur earlier than the 12-month count down but it must occur never-the-less.

And with the later of those, may show if someone may or may not be approved for an upgrade by launch day or with the pre-orders.

I decided to just pay outright when I get mine but just some interesting things the rep was saying.

Not knocking your post but I don't think any of that is new information to those of us already on the program who got shafted this year. If you can pay outright that's great. Some of us entered this program to avoid having to do that since we upgrade every year and resale value is a crap shoot.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Not knocking your post but I don't think any of that is new information to those of us already on the program who got shafted this year. If you can pay outright that's great. Some of us entered this program to avoid having to do that since we upgrade every year and resale value is a crap shoot.

I was stating what I learned and how it may have landed to getting shafted. I'm not living in a oblivious world who thinks everyone should live and will spend the way or how I do but rather posting an understanding of what may be going on.

So my question is were phones unavailable for purchase because of stock that ran out or is it couldn't purchase because the account couldn't be unlocked because of the current plan?

Modernboy

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I was stating what I learned and how it may have landed to getting shafted. I'm not living in a oblivious world who thinks everyone should live and will spend the way or how I do but rather posting an understanding of what may be going on.

So my question is were phones unavailable for purchase because of stock that ran out or is it couldn't purchase because the account couldn't be unlocked because of the current plan?

They were unavailable because we were limited to in-store stock. The site clearly stated I had made my 12 payments and was eligible to upgrade. But the stock available to me in my area for upgrade was extremely limited. I never even got to the reservation transaction.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Interesting. It sounds the system is reading time in plan rather $$ spent to determine eligibility.

Well I'll be in line come Friday morning with my computer looking to lock in an online purchase with in-store pick-up.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Is stock artificially limited?

I can think of a lot better reasons, far closer to reality, but I'll pretend to live in lala-land along with everyone else for now.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
They were unavailable because we were limited to in-store stock. The site clearly stated I had made my 12 payments and was eligible to upgrade. But the stock available to me in my area for upgrade was extremely limited. I never even got to the reservation transaction.

That's the case for most big brands in general. Nor do the local stores want to pay for units that might not sell anytime soon, or have to ask for a bigger insurance payout if the store is robbed then deal with 50,000,000% premium hikes because one little robbery in the 15 year period in which the store existed suddenly made the store win the "super high risk" award. I thought only tv shows and movies used outlandish extreme hyperbole...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.