iPhone Upgrade Program Causes Headaches on Launch Day Due to Limited Stock

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Modernboy macrumors regular

Modernboy

I understand that in-store stock is typically extremely limited. The issue is that only people on the IUP were restricted to in-store stock. If we had been able to order from the same inventory stream as everyone else and had it shipped to store to do the physical upgrade it would have been a fair option.

Also to everyone saying it's not in Apple's interest to allow the upgrade because they lose 12 months revenue, they have already been paid for the phone by the bank. Apple is getting that paid for phone back to refurbish and re-sell and will also be getting paid for a whole new phone. They're not losing much of the bottom line at all. If anyone is losing out it's Citizens since it is a 0% interest loan.

2. betsy51556 macrumors newbie

I went on apple site at 3:01 and wasnt able to get to order until 3:15 I Ordered the iphone 7plus and the new apple watch and was finished @ 3:28am I went for the next plan but paid off the balance as I can sell my phone for more and last year i traded in my phone and they lost it and put in on my bill and it wasn't cleared up for 6 months! My delivery date is Sept 16 1st day!

3. gaedfly, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

gaedfly macrumors regular

Only if you're already on the IUP and are upgrading. I guess people who just signed up this time aren't under the same miserable umbrella.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2016 ---
    Let's see. Maybe it's because no-one mentioned that in order to upgrade I would have to make a reservation - no-one when I signed up for the IUP last year, no-one at 1800APPLE, no-one during the many times I asked how upgrading to the iPhone 7 would work. In fact one rep I talked to prior to the launch said the phone would be shipped to me and I would have 30 days to return my current one. Another said they were not allowed to disclose anything about the IUP until the preorder date (newspeak for "we have no clue"). No-one said that IUP people would be reserved phones from a limited batch and that neither black option would be available while non-IUP people were snapping up both black options like candy. It's just amazing that people on here who were just as frenzied to grab the iPhone 7 of their choice shut their minds to the very real and well-founded frustration of the IUP people who were clearly screwed. Not getting a black iPhone 7 is not a major life event for me. But we were made a promise and Apple broke the promise. That's not a perspective of privilege and enfranchisement. It's just the truth. Anyone on here who doesn't get that needs tutoring.

4. Markarian421 macrumors member

Markarian421

If you're an IUP member who hasn't been able to order a phone, please call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753) and let them know.

Yesterday I was unable to contact Apple Online Support via chat or phone (both lead to a message that due to high volume they couldn't answer) but today I was finally able to get through first on chat (after about 30 min) and then via phone (which took about an hour). As the person on chat told me, you need to call to actually get to the right people, so do that. Don't bother with the chat for now.

Most of the customer support folks were a lot like the people who drop into this thread and say uninformed things because they've kind of heard of the problem but didn't really bother to read the other comments and don't understand it (but, you know, way more polite and interested in helping than those people in this thread!). "You couldn't order it online? Are you qualified?" No, I can't place an order. Yes I'm qualified. When I finally got to a person who attempted to place an order for me, it was the same thing, it's like she'd kind of heard of the problem but didn't really understand it until she found that she couldn't place an order for me either. Yes, indeed, people on the upgrade program can't upgrade. The case is being escalated, supposedly someone will get back to me. But now that it's finally possible to get through, more people need to call so they realize there's a widespread problem and come up with a fix.

5. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I just ordered a new one using my same phone number with no issues. Put me in the Oct 11-18 range. I'll either try to switch it to an upgrade in store or just sell my 6S plus to somebody. Might be a nightmare decision but I won't have time to check the store everyday.

6. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

To make it fair to everyone, they should enable pre-orders the day after announce, but have in-store availability as well as shipping a month later. It would give them more time to meet demand.

Also, to help with demand estimations, let IUP customers state beforehand in their profile which device they anticipate upgrading to. (time will tell how accurate these predictions will be - but it may help).

As far as getting your old phones back - the kit they ship to IUP customers should include return shipping (and a deadline - you don't hit it, you're charged for the additional phone).

Oh...and bring the damn IUP program to Canada already!!! GRRRR! :)

7. Modernboy macrumors regular

Modernboy

I think the reason they aren't doing the mail your phone back is because if there is anything wrong with it they charge you a service fee along with the costs of the new devices. So they need to inspect the phone.

8. MacBird macrumors 6502a

I don't find it very reassuring that they seem to have no clue how poorly their IUP system works. This is amateurish to an extent that I would not have expected from Apple.

9. newellj macrumors 604

If the phone you want is still available consider returning the IUP phone and ordering one for outright purchase this year. That's what I've done.

10. Modernboy macrumors regular

Modernboy

I want to echo this post. I just got off the phone with Apple and they are well aware that they are not delivering on what was promised. They are manually taking all info and will be back in touch in 48 hours with a solution. They've said that they are looking to prioritize IUP upgrades over the next couple of weeks so that we can get our phones. I highly suggest anyone who had the same issues I had to call and ask to speak to someone in the IUP department.

11. Modernboy macrumors regular

Modernboy

Be prepared to sit on hold though they are extremely busy right now. I was for about an hour. Worth it though.

12. newellj macrumors 604

C'mon, these are captive corporate stores.

13. toddcharvey macrumors newbie

Preferential treatment isn't what we are asking for. The Apple Upgrade Program failed to be a pre-order option shortly after 12am. While other purchase and lease (e.g. AT&T Next) programs are still available for pre-order into the cue, Apple Upgrade isn't even offered. We are supposed to "check back" after the 17th.

14. ramonabynes macrumors regular

ramonabynes

This is absolutely unacceptable. I would call myself, but I am new to the program this year. At least having the option to ship to store for pick up is acceptable. Better would be ship to store OR home and requirement to bring the current phone in to the store within several weeks or continue to be charged for the device. Simple. Clearly there were like 3 of each phone in each stores' allotted stock (if that). Even the reservations weren't just for the upgrade program customers, so other customers probably snatched those up too. This was literally mission: impossible.

15. Cosmoknot macrumors newbie

They'll learn when it actually costs them significant customers. It doesn't, so they haven't.

16. MathersMahmood macrumors 6502

MathersMahmood

Yeah it sucks and a company like Apple should have known demand and started production to meet the launch weekend sales.

17. thefarang macrumors member

thefarang

Not worth it to me. I ended up just ordering mine and paying for it up front. I'll buy out the contract for the rest of my IUP 6S+ and sell it once I'm sure I 100% own it.

The reason I'm choosing not to wait for a solution which may or may not come is because there's no guarantee this won't happen again next year. 0% financing is great but not if I have to deal with being locked out of ordering my upgrade again next year or the year after that. I would rather pay it all today and know nothing is stopping me from ordering the next time I want to upgrade. The only other thing I'm sacrificing is a guaranteed sale price at 12 months. No biggie either.

And when you factor in that now, you're likely to not get an iPhone until at least October and perhaps even November by the time they sort this all out, you're looking at 2 or 3 extra payments into the program. And next year you'll have to pay those extra 2 or 3 payments to upgrade because your new contract didn't start until October or November.

So between that and the hassle factor involved with checking their site on a daily basis until the model I want becomes available, even if you lose 1 year worth of interest on $1000 or get back slightly less than 50% of your purchase price on resell, the difference is so negligible as to make buying it outright upfront a push.

The funny part is that I decided to upgrade last year only because I had decided to go from the 6 to the plus. So, I upgraded and didn't upgrade my wife because I didn't think the "S" was a big enough of a reason to upgrade alone.

I was going to put her on the IUP this year as well. Was all prepped with 2 computer screens open so I could be filling out the application for her while placing the order for mine.

No way now. No way either of us will ever join any Apple financing arrangement.

In the 10 or 15 years I've been buying Apple products (MBPs, iMacs, Apple TV's, iPhone, iPads, etc) I've never had a moment like this where I fell like saying, "F you, Apple" but this program was just such a heinous lie. Even the screen grab people are posting in the thread shows that they were heavily intimating that you could get your new iPhone right away. Not only was that not true (and I never expected them to give IUP people priority) but they went the complete opposite and penalized people in the program.

Where they say that you'll be one of the first to get your new iPhone, they've created the program in such a way as to make sure that most people will be the last to get their iPhone.

To be fair, I don't think they did this on purpose. In talking to a few people over the last couple of days who work at Apple, they seemed really confused at why there's even a problem. Then when you explain that IUP people can only order from the stock being allocated at each store, the light bulb sort of goes off.

Not that any of them created the program but it's obvious that even people within Apple are really confused about how the program works. In my experience, that usually means a company doesn't really value the program. Nobody really fleshed it out or mapped out how the process works. They did the deal to get a deal done with Citizen's Bank and someone had to try and make it work. Some mid-level product manager was told to implement it and he or she doesn't have the kind of pull within Apple to change store allocations or the commerce flow in the Apple Store so . . . we got screwed because this was the best solution he could come up with. He checked off all of the boxes in terms of what his bosses had told him and voila, IUP.

I just have better things to do with my time than get myself involved in a company's program that was an afterthought.

18. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Well said
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2016 ---
    Apple Insider is reporting

AppleInsider has learned that some Apple retail store stock on release day will be reserved for Apple Upgrade Program members for a few days. Apple's suggestion on the order page to "check back on September 17 at 8 a.m." reflects this hold.

Maybe we'll get priority after all, deserved or not.

19. Skrizza macrumors newbie

Skrizza

How's that right for IUP people? The 17th is the day AFTER the release. They f'ed up and need to make sure that IUP do get one! Hands down. Sorry. Bull crap.

20. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Well I don't think I felt a promise that I would get one on release day. If I can get one release weekend I'll be satisfied, but if it keeps being out of stock........ well I'll react if it happens.

21. thefarang macrumors member

thefarang

The only problem is it's all pretty vague. And what happens if you loyally wait until Sept 17th at 8am and your store says, "Not Available"? Then what? You're now sitting behind how many tens of thousands of other people who pre-ordered between now and Sept 17 plus all of the people who went online on Sept 16, the release date, and ordered.

Then what? Wait until the 18th and do the same thing all over again? And the 19th? . . .

The truly offensive part of this whole mess is you still don't know when you can even place your order. AppleInsider says there will be "some" stock reserved. But is it enough? Is it all Rose Gold 7's? Even the Apple Insider story says the store managers have no idea.

Plus, making it even a bigger joke, they're only reserving inventory for a few days. One manager said 5 another said 3. So, if you miss those days or they don't get the phone you want in those three to five days, guess what, you're stuck checking the Apple Store website again every day because you STILL CAN"T RESERVE! After the 3 - 5 days (which is total unsubstantiated rumor at the moment since no store manager would go on record) it's first come, first served. Hope you like getting up and checking the Apple Store at 8am every morning. Because at least until supply catches up to demand, there's no chance you'll be able to find any of the more popular models by 9:30am.

How the heck is this supposed to be a better deal than just ordering your phone and getting an estimated ship date like everyone else?

Total, total lunacy.

And the Apple Insider article just reaffirms my suspicion that they really didn't think it through. They should have taken our orders and not a single iPhone should go out the door at a retail location until the pending orders have been fulfilled.

They're going to reserve "some" inventory for IUPs? F That. If you weren't in the IUP you could do an in-store pickup and have a phone guaranteed on the day it arrives.

To some degree it cracks me up that they think that we have nothing better to do than to sit there clicking a button every day hoping they'll dispense their product.

I don't need it on launch day. I don't care. It's a piece of technology. But getting yanked around like this just gets to me. That's why I'm buying out my IUP contract. It's obvious there are few advantages and a ton of disadvantages. I am kicking myself for having believed the multiple sources that said doing an upgrade on pre-order launch would be just as easy as purchasing (which is a question I asked 3 or 4 times before signing up for IUP).

Never again.

22. tylerdw89 macrumors 6502

I spoke to someone on the Apple Retail Executive team yesterday about this issue.

Today, he called me back to get some more information. It sounds like they are going to try to get me a phone. However, after reading Apple Insiders report I do wonder if it will just be from the reserves. Regardless, it does seem like they are trying to get me a phone.

He said there are "a lot of eyes" looking at this issue and it sounded like I wasn't the only one.

23. JonnyBravo, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

JonnyBravo macrumors regular

And let's not forget...as it stands now, as we wait every morning at 8am to search for available reservations, people will be lining up on launch day and every day as walk ups to get their phones if the stores have them. They'll potentially get their phones first...and as iPhone Upgraders, we don't have that option as we're locked into finding a store with appointments.

24. Skrizza macrumors newbie

Skrizza

I was on the phone with 4 people yesterday. The first person I talked to have me her direct number, so I called her when I got home, after I talked to 3 other people. The second person I talked to said yeah sorry about you luck. Try again on Friday! Wtf seriously. I told him I wanted to talk to a supervisor and he said he get a senior sale rep. Put me on hold and immediately hung up on me. Jerkoff! Third person was nice and took my info for a supervisor to call me back......that was at 11am est. still waiting for call back. Finally I called the first person back and she was on hold with me for an hour trying to get in touch with some senior reps that could help me. She couldn't get through. What the hell is that. A rep from the same company can't get in touch with another rep. Wasted a bunch of time on the phone yesterday. What a ***** up Apple. Seriously comical.

25. leesweet macrumors 65816

leesweet

The IUP page you go to check for stock now has the 'call 800-MY-APPLE' message 'if you are having problems locating a phone'. Lol. Has anyone actually gotten a positive result from calling? I'm wavering between calling and seeing WTF and waiting until Friday. (Or reinstating (reordering) my full price phone that I cancelled and then selling the current phone on Swappa and f this program.)