iPhone upgrade program - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JCarmona, Feb 13, 2017.


Should I join the iPhone upgrade program in February?

  1. Yes

  2. No, wait for Sept 2017

  3. No, that program sucks!

  1. JCarmona macrumors member

    May 23, 2014
    Hey everyone,

    Thinking of joining the iPhone upgrade program. I would love to hear your thoughts and experience.Currently I have an iPhone 6s 64gb and my wife has an iPhone 6S 16gb

    I would like to upgrade to the Plus models.

    Why thinking of joining in Feb?

    a) Looking at the resale prices for these models, they have decreased severely, mainly due to the 32/128GB options. Looking to sell them at the best price, I was thinking of joining the iPhone upgrade program in the UK in February.

    b) I always want the latest iPhone and joining now would give me a 5 month delay, but also, being one of the firsts on buying has its issues (battery issues with my current iPhone 6s, being one of the first of the production line)

    c) reducing the hassle of each year (or 2 years) going through the resale process (which can be a pain), would ease my life; but in depends on how much I would lose (or win! =))

    Thanks guys!
  2. Ian.C macrumors regular

    Mar 6, 2008
    Lancashire, UK
    I would personally wait for the new release later this year, from all the speculation this could be a complete redesign of the iphone. It's a good solution to replace your iphone every year and it comes with Apple care within the price.

    The negatives for me, you will pay a monthly fee and then another monthly fee to your carrier... it is adding more cost it's all comes downing to wanting the latest every year, and there is a price to pay for that.

    Also if there wasn't a big redesign this year i would say do it now..

    Hope that helps, this topic is really subjective and there will be lots of opinions and they will all be correct.. down to what you want really

    good luck

  3. Macman45 macrumors G5


    Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    I'm in the wait brigade too...I never join these programmes anyway, preferring to choose the time I upgrade. My nearly brand new IP7Plus 128 ( would have been happy with 64GB but those day's are gone) in Jet black is a great phone. It's a lot quicker than my 6Plus was and I'm happy with it. Lately I've skipped the S's and gone for the full new models at update time. Exceptions being the 4S and the 5S due to the screen and camera. Missed the 6 S and unless the 7S (if they even make one) would have to be a big technological update for me not to wait for the 8.
  4. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

    Jul 9, 2008
    cherry point
    voted before i saw you were in the uk, my bad. I upgrade my iPhone on launch day every year by literally waking up, having coffee and driving to the local (yet unpopular) mall and walk in before anyone thinks the mall is open (except old people, they seem to always be there walking). I walk into T-Mobile and they usually have a few up to 10 of EACH color and EACH size. Even showed up an hour late one year and walked out with the iPhone I wanted.

    So anyway, if I understand correct TMO charges you a rental fee (to buy) over 12-24 months and you are simply turning in the prior year and transferring your rental cost to the new phone. No charge unless you want more storage space. I got whatever they plan is called where I can do that like 3-4 times a year I think.
  5. nburwell macrumors 601


    May 6, 2008
    If you are going to join, I would wait until the next iPhone is released come September. If you join now, you're going to have to make up payments if you want to upgrade once the new iPhone is released. Granted you could probably sell your current iPhone's to make the extra payments, but I would still wait.
  6. jr866gooner macrumors 65816


    Aug 24, 2013
    I was tempted to later in the year however the lowest price is £33 just for the phone alone with AC. A simple only deal is at least £10... already the monthly fee is nearly £16 more than what I pay now! So that would be for the IUP and a sim only deal which is quite a bit more!
  7. JCarmona thread starter macrumors member

    May 23, 2014
    Thank you everyone!!! It's always good to hear your thoughts!

    Waiting it is!
  8. geoff5093 macrumors 68020


    Sep 16, 2014
    Dover, NH
    I signed up with the 7, but regretted it. The fact I had a loan for a phone in itself was idiotic IMO. When I wanted to cancel because I decided to try the Pixel, it was hell to finally close it out and be done with it. I had to wait forever to talk to a Citizens Loan rep to pay off my phone (you can't do it online for some reason), then I had to call Apple to cancel AppleCare, and then months later Citizen's still hasn't refunded me the AppleCare credit.

    Even if you are sticking with Apple for years, this year there were numerous reports of people being unable to pre-order the new iPhone with the Apple Upgrade program, but could do so full price no problem.
  9. High Desert macrumors regular

    Nov 26, 2015
    Powell Butte, Or.
    FWIW - I decided to upgrade from a S5 to an iPhone 7 with 128 gb of storage. At the time I had the option to go with an annual upgrade plan, via Verizon, and just pay the monthly phone cost divided over 24 months. The caveat is that I cannot upgrade until the phone is at least paid off halfway. I did this at the release cycle of the 7 series. I think, in your case, it would be best to wait until the next release cycle as if you purchased now, come September, you would have to come up with 6 or 7 months additional fees to be able to upgrade. As others have stated, I agree with them as it is not worth the additional cost. Better to wait till the new cycle. I would also consider not getting Applecare but look at the phone providers insurance plan. It seems, via OP remarks, Applecare is not as good as it once was and cover less for same price to more. Just another consideration
  10. JCarmona thread starter macrumors member

    May 23, 2014
    I agree, if AppleCare wasn't part of it, it might be a good deal. Buit paying AppleCare that is very limited, seems a little bit too much.

    Thanks everyone for their input, it was very helpful. I will upgrade in September, without the plan.
  11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

    Newtons Apple

    Mar 12, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Save your money between now and September and just buy it outright.

Share This Page

10 February 13, 2017