iPhone Uses 10 Year Old Camera Technology

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OnlyOneThatEver, Dec 29, 2008.

1. OnlyOneThatEver macrumors member

2. Cory5412 macrumors member

I don't think the iPhone is using old technology per se, it just happens to have a "low" megapixel count compared to today's digital SLRs and compact cameras.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

4. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Maybe for dedicated cameras but its a different story for cellphones.

ChrisN

5. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

Yeah, show me a ten year old cell phone with a 2 MP camera, and then we'll talk.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL seriously... 1998... my phone in 1998 didn't even have a color screen. When I got a Nokia 3650 in 2003, and it had a camera, camera phones were still fairly rare. In fact, Wikipedia claims camera phones weren't even deployed in the US until 2002.

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I can't beleive cell phones had 2 MP, thin, low power cameras ten years ago!

That's crazy.

Also - get this - movies are still using the same 100 year technology! LOL. 2 hours worth of film pulled through a camera! Get with it hollywood!

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

The iphone camera is **** because they used a cheap as lens, it cant even be compared to other 2mp cameras.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, just as many megapixels as ten years ago. Maybe they should put in 50 megapixels with the same crap lens. Then it would be up to date. The pictures could be of the same quality only more pixels and thus a larger file size! yay!

10. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Now as for the lens: it's about what you'd expect from a fixed lens in a phone. The phone's not designed with photo quality in mind. Few phones are. Phones are designed to make calls, send/receive SMS messages, and (recently) provide some light web/e-mail functionality. Even phone cameras with expensive lenses suck -- they're still fixed focus, and they're still just a minor feature grafted onto a device designed around an entirely different task set.

Oh, and not all CCDs are created equal. It's not, as they say, all about the megapixels.

11. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

First, not all digital cameras use CCD sensors.

Oh, and the iPhone has a CMOS sensor.

12. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

What is this website anyway? I stopped reading after the grammatical error in paragraph three.

13. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Camera phone memories in the UK

This is what I can remember about the release of camera phones in the UK market.

1) Summer 2002 - Sony Ericsson T68i - The first phone I recall that had a camera. Now the camera wasn't built into the phone, it was an external attachment.

2) Autumn 2002 - Sharp GX10 - Launched by Vodafone this was when their Vodafone Live kicked off. Less than VGA sized pics and terrible quality by todays standards. It was the first phone I recall being on sale with an inbuilt camera. Vodafone also released a Panasonic model alongside. Unfortunately today, Panasonic & Sharp are no longer in the UK mobile phone market.

3) Spring 2003 - Sharp GX30 - 1 Megapixel camera plus flash with memory card storage!!

4) Autumn 2004 - Sony Ericsson V800 - 1.3 Megapixel rotating camera. One of Vodafone UK's first 3G handsets.

5) Summer 2005 - Sony Ericsson K750 - 2 Megapixel camera with Auto Focus and flash.

So this article in the OP is complete bogus!

14. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Ah. My mistake. I though I recalled reading that the iPhone used a CCD, but I guess not.

The "not created equal" bit still applies though, regardless of which sensor tech it uses.

15. stevearm macrumors 6502a

... and 95% of the other cameraphones on the market

16. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Thats one thing my LG Dare has over the iPhone, I am amazed at how crappy the camera is on the iPhone.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh so its "lets make up outrageously inaccurate statistics day is it?"

I love when this comes around.:rolleyes:

18. firewood macrumors 604

pure nonsense

I had a 2 MP camera in 1999. It cost more than twice as much as an iPhone and was almost 10 times bigger and heavier. It also ate AA batteries, 4 at a time, and came with a 16 MB memory card (about 1.5% of a GB!). No way they could have made a 2 MP as small and inexpensive as the one wedged into a corner of an iPhone 10 years ago.

19. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

The iPhone camera is not fantastic.

If its pictures your worrying about..

buy a camera?

End of the day, it's a phone

20. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Am I the only person who thinks the camera is alright?

In light places, the images come out quite nice. Its just low light area that are the trouble.

Also, the shutter speed is a little slow.... but other than that, I like it. :eek:

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

+1

This thread is a perfect example that the camera is not, as some say, "completely useless":

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=336174

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The iPhone camera is actually pretty good. It's also comparable to allot of other cellphone cameras offered on the market today. I hear all the phone commercials on the radio and it's amazing how many phones have 2.0MP cameras on them.

Last September I took a vacation and used my iPhone to take allot of pictures. I also took along my old Sony 3.2MP camera. The camera is still sitting in the trunk from vacation because it is inconvenient to uses these days. I have a camera built into my phone. It gets used more than any camera would.

23. Aurial macrumors 6502

Even Windows Mobile have moved beyond 2MP now, and that's saying something.

I've got to throw my 2 pence worth in. I remember reading another thread about the iPhone camera and just out of interest had a look in my local carphone warehouse next time I was passing. I think I found one other phone with a 2MP camera. That recorded video though.

My opinion of the iPhone camera is that it's awful. It's fine if you want to take a pic of something that isn't/can't move(ing) and in broad daylight. Try to take a pic of any movement at all and it blurs really badly.

And to the person who said all phones have fixed focus lenses, you're wrong. You'll find that all the latest Nokias in the N-Series, the majority if not all Sony-Ericsson's from about the K750 onwards as well as a lot of the newer Samsungs have autofocus lenses.

24. deadsouls macrumors regular

the iphone is definitely a piece of garbage. sure it takes decent photos during the day, but after 6pm it becomes completely useless.

25. Aurial macrumors 6502

At last, a voice of reason.

Couldn't agree more!