iPhone v2.0 No Address Book Sync with BMW Bluetooth

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TransientWolf, Jul 11, 2008.

1. TransientWolf macrumors member

Hi Guys

A warning for all those using their iPhone linked to a BMW Bluetooth in car phone system. On v1 software it worked a dream - including full address book sync call from address book and caller ID on received calls. However, on both my old iPhone upgraded to v2.0 and my new 3G iPhone purchased this am, the iPhone will still Pair, and can make and receive calls, but there is no address book sync. After searching for a few minutes it reports "No Available Entries".

I assume this is due to whatever has changed with the contacts app on the iPhone to facilitate MobileMe syncing and/or searching.

Not ideal - I can live with it but was always really happy to have full address book in my 650Ci. Now I have to dial manually or talk to the useless voice recognition bird who can never understand me!

You have been warned! Anybody finds a way to make it work please let me know. :)

2. onesixeight macrumors member

You've gotta be kidding me....

Man...that's very disappointing. My iphone has worked well with my two BMW's, but if the 3g one doesn't work with address book, that's really a major setback.

Considering BMW was one of the first manufacturers to support the iphone, I'm surprised they didn't sort this out earlier. I'm wondering if we need to update the car's iDrive software.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

4. TransientWolf thread starter macrumors member

You ever tried to get BMW to do a software update ....... :D

Mine was updated a couple months ago cos I complained about the iDrive being a bit slow - improved it a lot and changed the brown backgrounds to a nice silver grey. Took a lot to get it free thoiugh.

Maybe my software is too new (doubt it) or maybe Apple less concerned about BMW drivers (minority) than Mobileme and Exchange integration (major priority).

Voice dialling and manual dialling still work, plus you can dial from the iPhone itself. Signal strength still appears on display screen. Just the address book sync that doesn't seem to want to know.

5. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

I just got my 530d's software fully upgraded last week in anticipation of iPhone 3G and for a few nav benefits.

I'd already tested with a 1.14 1st generation iPhone belonging to a colleague and all seemed to work well. It's a big disappointment if 2.0 breaks this.

The address book transfer is essential to me so, until/unless this is resolved, there's no way I'll be buying an iPhone. I'll be watching here and E60 forums for further news.

6. RealEvil macrumors 6502

No way. I am stunned, I never thought this would be a problem. I might be returning my 16GB 3G iphone then :-(

7. onesixeight macrumors member

Yup...and it takes a REALLY long time! My 745Li had a lot of iDrive problems and I often had to bring it in for software updates. They often kept the car for days... Now I have a E70 X5 and E60 M5 and they have had periodic software updates when needed. It's usually an overnight process for my dealer.

I actually have my work BlackBerry as the phone synced up to the car, and that works great. But I use the iphone as a second personal phone, and have that synced up on the weekends. I used to use a Nokia N95 and quickly got rid of it because of a similar address book sync issue.

8. TransientWolf thread starter macrumors member

Remember this is a problem with v2.0 software not the iPhone 3G per se.

9. RealEvil macrumors 6502

We cannot rely on a BMW update as a) its difficult and b) most garages charge for this. So its up to Apple. Who do we email to complain to?

10. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

I would say that if V2.0 doesn't work whereas V1.14 does, then it's very clearly something Apple has done (or more likely failed to test and prove) so there's little BMW could do.

Anyway a CIP upgrade out of warranty is about £200 and usually an overnight stay for the car as the dealers normally leave upgrades running overnight. Since BMW do not currently list V2.0 as compatible (surprise, surprise) then a CIP upgrade would not be covered by warranty.

11. TransientWolf thread starter macrumors member

I'll take the thrid party apps, 3G and push email from exchange over my address book in the car I guess :D

Apple should be able to fix it if they are inclined to as long as this MobileMe stuff isn't getting in the way.

Appreciate if others can try and see if same problem or if I just screwed up somewhere!

12. RealEvil macrumors 6502

I have a e90 330 with iDrive. It just got some updated software (I have perspective maps etc so its deffo not the original software and was told it was 'new' software 6 weeks ago). It works/ed great with my 1.1.4 iPhone (original). My 3G iPhone is charging and I will test it when I leave at 5pm ish. I will report back then.

I have not setup mobileme even though I am a .Mac subscriber... I will deliberately not set this up today.

13. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Posted on the E60 forums too, and will monitor for updates there.

Hope this can be easily fixed - it's a deal breaker for me.

14. RealEvil macrumors 6502

Just tested...

It WORKS perfectly on my 2005 330i (new shape, E90). Like I said, it has had a software update and it has iDrive

My iPhone setup is this:

16GB 3g (bought today)
    Mail/Contacts synced but not via MObile Me (didnt use this feature in iTunes)
    I still have 'No Service' because O2 havent sorted out my upgrade properly
    BUT I synced phone, all contacts were there. Could get the 'call' option but it was greyed out due to no net coverage.

Looks the same as my 1.1.4 iPhone did.

15. TransientWolf thread starter macrumors member

Ok Thanks for testing and giving me some real hope! I am still a nada tonight. I will play around with MobileMe and my change settings - may have to resort to a complete restore and see if that makes a difference.

Presumably you are syncing your address book between mac and iphone just via the hard wired sync?

My mate as a new M3 so will test with his on Tuesday when I see him to see if its my phone or something else.

16. slaphotk macrumors member

2008 BMW 335i and 3G Iphone or Version 2.0 update

Would be interested to know if any 2008 335i owners have had the address book sync problem?? If not, what did you do to get it to work??

TIA

17. RealEvil macrumors 6502

Yeah the sync is as you describe - I have a bunch of contacts in Address Book on my mac and I syn via the 'sync address book contacts' checkbox in iTunes. It works exactly the same as it did in 1.1.4.

Over the weekend I will turn on Mobile Me and see what happens.

18. TransientWolf thread starter macrumors member

Okay guys. Last night I did a factory restore of my iPhone 3G, did not sync it with anything so it was completely factory clean. I then added one contact to the phone and paired it with my 650Ci (Apr 08 CIP update). Exactly the same problem - thinks about the address book for about 2-3 minutes then comes up with "No Details Available".

Conclusion - must be an issue with my E64 6 series that doesn't seem to be an issue for others on the E90 3 series cars.

Glad it works for some of you tho! :rolleyes:

Maybe this is the excuse I need to upgrade to that M6 convertible..... :D

19. Radioman macrumors regular

I have an E60 M5 and it doesn't work :(

I recently had the software updated to the current issue.

20. peterja macrumors regular

peterja

That's one expensive address book ;)

21. zmit macrumors regular

no....

THAT is an expensive address book ;)

22. HaroldC macrumors regular

Paired it with me e70 X5 and it works as it did on the 2g iPhone. The only difference is that the contacts are now organized by last name instead of the first name, as it was on the previous iphone.

My car is an 02/08 build, which means it has the software from this year. I also had an '07 (10/06 build) e60 M5 that the 2g iphone worked perfectly with. Can't test the new 3g, as I don't have that car anymore.

23. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Update

E60 forums showing a mixed bag of results with some address book trasnfers wroking fine and others not. Diffiicult to spot a definitive trend as yet, but it would appear that older E60 TCUs are no compatible with V2.0 software.

Coupled with all the other niggles, major and minor, reported here this is a deal killer for me. Need to find someone who will pair/test their 3G phone with my car.

24. TransientWolf thread starter macrumors member

So you think a new car might solve the problem? :D

Will test on my mate's M3 tomorrow.

25. BigladUK macrumors member

Can you post any links to show how you came to that conclusion as i've search high and low and haven't found that confirmed anywhere.

Thanks

Si