Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
How difficult was the installation? Was it difficult to move the camera and cables from the original cover to the black one? Was it difficult to align the camera to the hole? What about the apple logo?

Aplovmyi

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
Da Vinci Code Clue

Did you see the Mona Lisa screen saver? What is Da Vinci trying to tell us? Perhaps it's Da Vinci's way of saying, the "Jesus Phone" was married - perhaps a nano offspring is in the making? Ooooooooooooooooooooo

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
look I got a prototype version 2 iphone, it's black and has 3G.

Just kidding.... I just spent 3 hours converting my silver iphone back into all black in the back.

the pictures are crappy... I will try to take some better ones...

ENJOY!

sd card? removeable storage? think pad? apple will punish you....

rocklobzter31

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Any one else think this makes the iphone look terrible?

I think it is cool that it is different from other iphones but IMO this looks really bad.

It looks so boring and not like an apple product at all to me

EDIT: now that i look at it a couple more times...i guess it's pretty cool

nebulight

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2007
I don't see why you can't make it any color you want. If it's aluminum, you can just have it anodized.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
How difficult was the installation? Was it difficult to move the camera and cables from the original cover to the black one? Was it difficult to align the camera to the hole? What about the apple logo?

I don't know about the logo (does it come with the replacement cover?) but based on the video at the link below, it does not seem like the camera is attached to the back cover. The camera is attached to main body of the phone, and the back cover only contains a ribbon, a cable that attaches to the main phone, and some stuff for the headphone jack.

I assume the replacement cover is identical and comes with the ribbon to attach, etc?

Check out this video: http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IP-2085&Category_Code=IPHONE

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
There are a couple of questions that have never been answered, and I'd like to know before I order!

1) Is this really metal or is it the plastic material that the original cover is made of?

2) For installation, is the new cover a full replacement, or is there stuff you have to move over from the old cover? If so, what do you have to move over and how did you do it?

(Removing the cover and replacing looks easy, but I don't want to get into soldering stuff on the new cover...)

enero@serpico50

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2005
There are a couple of questions that have never been answered, and I'd like to know before I order!

1) Is this really metal or is it the plastic material that the original cover is made of?

2) For installation, is the new cover a full replacement, or is there stuff you have to move over from the old cover? If so, what do you have to move over and how did you do it?

(Removing the cover and replacing looks easy, but I don't want to get into soldering stuff on the new cover...)

The original silver cover IS metal. As is this cover.

Removing the back looks to be a bit of a pain, as all those screws are very tiny. And more likely then not, they are on there really tight, and the metal the screws are made of is very weak. No solidering is required, but you will have to remove the headphone jack that is attached to the back by very tiny screws. You will also have to pop off the apple logo from the original back, which I believe is just attached with double sided tape.

I am also thinking about getting this cover, my only concern is that the sim card try will remain silver, which might become a major eye sore...

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
Given how small the sim card tray is, it could be pretty easily painted. I might go that route. Course that would totally void the warranty (i dont think the rest would because you could replace the orihinal cover without them knowing.) Glad to hear that the headphone jack can be removed by screws. That doesnt really sound terrible. I like the idea of keeping the orginal nice and safe. Mine is already sowing some wear from ordinary use.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
i saw this after a link was posted from ilounge. i ordered the same backplate from CNN and was hoping to be the first to do the mod, but guess i was too slow :)
anyway, the new backplate definitely feels like plastic which is disappointing for the $50 it costs. also, none of the electronics on the back of the original housing are attached (i don't understand why anyone would think they were) so it all needs to be transferred from the silver housing.
i was hoping the original poster could elaborate on removing the cables and whatnot from the original silver housing and what he used to hold them in the black housing.

cheers

hexproject

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
rough directions

okay, been away on business trip, a lot of you have questions on how I did it.
here's are the steps that i used.

1) assuming you got the back plate off.

2) you must then carefully use the tiny screw driver to remove all the screws that you can find and take the buttons and ear phone jack out.. becareful not to lose the screws.

3) The hard part. you must use a putty knife to carefully ( i used a small swiss army knife) cut all the parts from the silver plate. this will take the most time.

4) I then used krazy glue and attached it to the black cover... the buttons should line up on the positions...
and then screw all the tiny screws in and just put the cover back up, and voila.. you got a black back..

be careful on the tiny screws when putting it back... it's hard cause it's so damn tiny...

**** also, for those of you who are not confident in DIYs, i would rate this as a 8 out of 10... not an easy DIY.

ianbeerent

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007

2) you must then carefully use the tiny screw driver to remove all the screws that you can find and take the buttons and ear phone jack out.. becareful not to lose the screws.

3) The hard part. you must use a putty knife to carefully ( i used a small swiss army knife) cut all the parts from the silver plate. this will take the most time.

4) I then used krazy glue and attached it to the black cover... the buttons should line up on the positions...
and then screw all the tiny screws in and just put the cover back up, and voila.. you got a black back..

be careful on the tiny screws when putting it back... it's hard cause it's so damn tiny...

**** also, for those of you who are not confident in DIYs, i would rate this as a 8 out of 10... not an easy DIY.

is there any way to switch back to the silver cover (if your phone broke), and make it look like you didn't void the warranty?

E46NM52

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks for sharing. I actually ordered the silver metal cover, because my iphone has a dent when I accidentially dropped it on the first a week. My question is... looks like the hardest part is to transfer all the buttons and the phone jack to the new cover. Are the buttons and phone jack held together with the cover by krazy glue only? or krazy glue with screws? If only held by krazy glue, how well are they holding up after awhile? Thanks.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
I am no modder.

I was excited by the black casing and, as an added bonus, I thought it would be nice to preserve my original backing for resale purposes. That way even if the black backing gets scuffed up, I could always put the original back on and it would look like new when I eventually sell the phone.

I got the black case, a small screwdriver, and a case opener tool. Unfortunately, I have come to the realization that I'm no modder. Bottom line: my case opener tool has now been dulled to the point of being unusuable and I couldn't even get the black bottom off.

Maybe I should leave the modding to the experts.

If anyone wants to give this a try, PM me. I'll give it to you for cost and eat the shipping I paid to get this from CNN in Hong Kong. (You'll get it faster because it takes a while to get it from CNN.)

gif32

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
No Longer Available?

The link to CNN.cn is broken as of 2:00pm PDT Friday, 27 Jul. Any ideas?? :confused:

I ordered mine on Wednesday and received it today (despite not having even chosen the fastest shipping). I haven't gotten my phone completely apart yet, but it looks like the thing they sent me is missing any means of attaching the parts to it. It doesn't even have the place to put in the screws in at the bottom... ??

gif32

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
SUPERGLUE (and serious patience) required!

There are many tiny parts you have to remove from the old case, including the rails down the sides, the headphone jack, power switch, and :apple: logo. How the heck are you supposed to even remove them, much less reattach it all?

See photo.

Attachments

• DSC00862-small.JPG
    DSC00862-small.JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 407
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.