iPhone Vs Android in the media

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 8CoreWhore, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

There are so many names and words in that story my freaking head hurts. Give me a simple iPhone 4 with apps that work and call it a day.

Apple....iPhone.....Keep it simple......keep it fun. Did I say it just plain works?

Android 1.6
    Pre-2.1
    Android 2.2
    Motorola Droid
    Froyo
    Cliq
    Cliq XT
    Backflip
    Devour
    ROM
    HTC Evo 4G
    Droid Incredible
    Dell STreak
    Galaxy Phones
    Droid X

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Sorry - did you need another phone/company to have bad press to make yourself feel better?

Were you the kid who got detention and wasn't happy until someone else did too?

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Did you just dumb down the intellect of forum posters here? I'm glad you're happy with a phone that just works (when in actuality - it doesn't just work and has the same pains as any other phone). But I'm glad the iPhone doesn't make you have headaches. Especially one that involves making a choice :)

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I understand the desire for some to have the one device to make it simple, but surely you can see how others might have different needs/wants so many devices are need to support those other people.

And then their are nerds, like myself, who like to toy around and have many different phones for their different provs

6. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Cool, the daily Android Vs. iPhone thread. Maybe we should dedicate a Android Vs. iPhone sub forum here

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

The reality for me is the iPhone does just work. I loved my Blackberry on AT&T but it had issues. Rebooted a lot, GPS took forever to lock on and compared to the issues and complexity to the various Android phones, that my coworkers use, the iPhone is stupid simple. Yes, that's a good thing, when one doesn't want to spend hours on the web researching updates or when they will be available on 42+ different phones. ]

So far as choices, it's pretty clear that regardless of how many choices there are, there will be just as many if not more issues. I only need one phone not choices filled with their own baggage. To each their own as they say....

Of course I see the desire for choices. And you're right on about some who want to toy around. I've been in technology for years and see tons of geeks going nuts about open source products. I am however in sales, where most of us just want a great tool that works and allows us to focus our time where it counts. Not everyone has time nor desire to toy around. If there's enough demand for a "custom" anything, all one has to do is wait a few weeks and it will become "official" and available to just about everyone.

8. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Pop psychology? :rolleyes:

The point is stated in the title: How the media compares.

The only time I got detention BTW, was when Penelope did, so I could spend time with her. :p Twice. I was in after that. ;)

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

On big difference is the carriers have a HUGE amount of say on the android phones and are controlling the OTA updates.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you're getting an Android phone you better be happy with whatever version of that OS you bought it with--because you can't count on it being updated. Hopefully, Google will solve that soon but its a complicated problem. Traditional handset makers are still getting used to the idea these things are more like computers now--and need regular updates to remain relevant and keep their customers happy. The Droid line are good phones though. A little while longer and maybe that fruit will be ripe enough for me to pick.

11. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

"How can VZW put a cease and desist on the sharing of an open source OS?"

This is a very good question.

12. Stormspeed macrumors member

You won't find any here because this forum has turned into droidboy forums. Their crap doesn't stink and they are perfect in every aspect.

/end sarcasm

13. samcraig macrumors P6

sarcasm aside - I notice many posts about android phones, os, etc are posted by Apple enthusiasts who are looking to knock down the "competition" a peg or two, etc. If threads about competing OS and devices weren't posted here (and why are they anyway?) then there wouldn't be an issue

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Most of the handwringing like the dramatic silliness expressed in the article comes from headline seeking bloggers.

People who actually own Android devices aren't worried. Updates will come whenever they come. Or they won't. Not a problem either way.

As people constantly point out around here, unless you were promised something in the future, you should simply expect to have only what you get when you buy a device. Anything more is gravy.

15. ATC macrumors 6502a

This article highlights one of the things I hated about my Blackberry. RIM always released frequent updates to carriers but not directly to consumers, so it was always at the carriers' discretion as to when and how to release the update, if at all. We were all at our respective carriers' mercy as to whether we'd get an updated OS.

There are ways to install non-carrier-approved BB OSes on the devices but it was a pain and in my case I couldn't due to IT policy with my BES account. So for my BB Bold I never received an OS5 update (even though RIM released it to all carriers) because my carrier (Rogers) decided in their infinite wisdom that it wasn't worth it and left all its Bold 9000 users live with a 1+ year OS.

I now appreciate how Apple releases updates directly to consumers, bypassing the carriers entirely. It works much better.

16. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Interesting article. I'd sure be pissed off if I had an android phone and had to put up with that crap.

17. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Sorry, but I'm going to have to call you on that one.

18. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Android phones are a clunky mess. The only people that will say they are better then iphones are only saying that because they are locked into a contract and are trying to convince themselves :p

19. NightGeometry macrumors regular

I like my Android, and I'm not locked into a contract. If the iPhone 4 wasn't a bit of a dogs dinner, I may have got one to use side by side. When the iPhone 5 is released next July, I may get one - failing that I'll probably buy another Android phone.

Not really interested in the whole 'my iPhone must be good coz someone wrote an article about how bad Android is'. Just thought I'd point out you're wrong.

20. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Dont have to. They send it to your phone when there is an update. Some phones dont get them though because the specs arent fast enough for 2.2. NOW, the really good Android speced phones can handle whats coming.

iP4 has just as many issues and any other so when your dropping your next call, i guess it just isnt working after all.

21. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Dell Streak Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Because the rom contains closed source compnents. Android OS is open source and free at the OS level but some apps (Google Mail, Android Market, Google Maps etc) are not a part of the android source code.

By leaking/ distributing the rom with these non open components, i guess they can issue the C&D on it.

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It's not even a valid question, since VZW didn't do it.

Motorola found out that people were posting a leaked ROM, and they sent out letters saying they didn't want their copyrighted beta being publicly available.

Being based on open source does not mean you can distribute someone else's code for free as you wish.

It's not much different than if someone leaked a beta Safari from inside Apple.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Some are many are not. I'm one of those with a Droid x and the phone is working great. Froyo will certainly add a big performance boost, but I'd rather have moto get it right then rush it out the door. That is to kdarling's point. I'm not worried when it comes.

Do you know that google did the same thing to cyanogenmod folks? The OS is open source but the stuff that is built on top of it, or apps included may not.

24. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

The thing is Android isn't glamorous enough for the media. There just isn't enough people who,

A. Never heard of Android or,

B. Care about Android.

All people know is Apple and the iPhone and I want the iPhone but can't afford it, give me something that is like the iPhone.