iPhone vs Windows Phone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoneCollector, Dec 21, 2010.

1. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Hello i'm planing to buy a new smartphone that does all the cool things a smartphone has to do these days i.e email,browsing,videos,games etc. Now my question is whether i should buy an iphone or the new wp7. i know that the iphone is better but the windows phone is cheaper if one manages to fing a good deal at some operator.
    So what i'm asking is has anyone had an iphone and has switched to wp7 or vice versa. I'd be glad to hear your experiences with both phones. I kind of like apple and have several macs at home (only one active computer not using the older ones that much) so apple is a familiar interface for me.
    And just for the record i think android is awesome but it just doesn't seem like the right OS for me.

if there already exist a thread like this then feel free to send me the link i wasn't able to find one my self.

2. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I've heard so much praise for both types of phone. Personally I love the look of the HD 7, i guess WP 7 offers more choice because it launches on more than one handset.

But as for the phone OS..... Pepsi or Coke?

3. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

My bet is on WP7 becoming the better OS in 2011 and beyond.

iOS is a bit dated IMO. Im not into all the dumb use-once apps that people seem to love and when I think of how I work (Online services) I see WP7 as the best platform for me.

This is from someone who has owned Android and iOS devices and wants to switch to WP7.

Ive always said iOS is more polished than Android, but Android is my preferred OS because of iOS's lock downs. What WP7 will bring is the polish (plus more) of iOS, the device choice of Android, and the best UI IMO.

4. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

It all comes down to preference. He doesn't like iOS, but I do very much indeed. I use apps all time as well (far more than just once). WP7 brings a new interface to the table, and I enjoy it when companies create something unique, rather than copy (read: Android). I recommend going to a store, trying them both out and deciding what's best for you. Right off the bat, I'm suggesting iPhone. ;)

5. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

WP7 is still too much in it's infancy to be compared to any major OS. It does look promising and has many nicer and better features than iOS. iOS does have better functionality and better developed BUT it's dated and can easily slip more behind it's competitors than it already has.

Hopefully WP7 wont follow in iOS's footsteps with stagnant innovation, slow progress and minimal OS updates.

6. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

They've already unoffically discussed 2 releases early next year (January and February) as well as a "MAJOR 7.5 release" Mango being rumored.

Microsoft is fully backing Windows Phone (7) and as it stands it's in the best position to become dominant in the near future.

Wait for CES I guess before making decisions.

7. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

i suggest you watch a few youtube vids of the os and see how you feel, have a play around in store. Personally, im sort of over ios, its a bit boring now after 3 years, yes its moved in leaps and bounds but pretty much the same. Love the whole WP7 experience but im gonna wait a while for a few updates, things like multitasking and load times for apps (facebook takes around 10 seconds to load unlike ios which is instant) but im sure these things will be worked on in the coming months, may wait until june see whats on the cards for iphone 5, hopefully it will be better thought out than this iphone 4 i have now!

8. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

That's good news. There's always room for a better platform. I'm personally looking forward to see what WP7 will evolve into, like I said before it looks promising.

9. JD914, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

That seems to be the general consensus of the most of us who have had iPhone since it's initial release.

I wouldn't say iOS has moved leaps and bounds, has it improved? Yes...Does it have to improve more in order to compete with the other OS's? Without a doubt it does.

Few enhancements/upgrades here and there but it's still on the initial core OS that was released in 2007. Nothing radically new with better hardware. It seems that Apple is following in the footsteps of Blackberry which basically rehashed their same OS year after year which is a recipe for disaster.

10. Savor Suspended

Savor

Get iPhone now if you haven't experienced owning one yet. If you have, iPod touch or iPad can fulfill that iOS void. Get WP7 by Season 3 or 4. Like anything in software, it takes a few years to mature.

My money is still on QNX. People are counting out RIM and believe their tablet will flop like the Palm Pre. They will likely be wrong without looking at actual data. RIM is still surpassing sales and BlackBerry is starting to expand alot outside the U.S. Jumping to conclusion at their demise. RIM has a far greater core audience in mobile devices than anything Microsoft has ever done with WinMo.

11. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

So you are an iPhone collector but are curious about whether to get an iPhone or WP7? If not, then what was the motivation behind your user name? It sounds like you've never used an iPhone before.

12. iPhoneCollector, Dec 21, 2010

iPhoneCollector thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

i hope you realize that i created an username in a rush a couple of weeks (perhaps even a month) ago and it was really hard to find some username thats is neither 100% stupid nor hard to remember so i went for "iphonecollector" as i mentioned in my post i don't own an iphone but maybe i will buy one. Many users have some seriously stupid usernames that are just some random letters and random numbers. if my username is disturbing you too much then i can resign and create a new account called "shkhgia124"if that makes you feel better then just inform me.

but back to the topic i have watched several videos about both devises and find the iphone better looking and smoother. but the wp7 seems to be simpler in many ways see the simple home screen. but what i want to know how the phone feels after one has used it for week or perhaps months. because obviously i want to keep my phone more than just a couple of days. i.e i don't want to get the feeling "damn i regret buying this phone".
    In conclusion does the iphone/wp7 feel attractive even after long periods of usage?
    ps. does the windows phone work well on a mac?

13. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

Most people's reaction to actual use of WP7 is that it is very good looking, quick, and intuitive. More so than the iPhone. On first impressions it may seem a bit confusion with the animations. My first thought when it was unveiled was "hmm.." now Im digging it.

My advice is to hit up an AT&T store and get some prolonged use out of each device (Samsung Focus for WP7). The screen is brilliant on the Focus.

WP7 no doubt needs some work, but my thought is that its coming, and its coming quickly.

Mac uses a Windows Phone Connector that is a 5mb program. Its not a separate media program like Zune; it works in conjunction with your iTunes/iPhoto libraries.

14. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Good input from all the above posters. Thanks!

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

If it matters to you Windows Phone 7 doesn't yet support encryption at rest so you won't be able to use it in an Exchange enviroment that enforces encryption. I haven't tried Outlook Web App with WP7's micro-browser.

16. SmokeyRobinson, Dec 21, 2010

SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

FYI a new Facebook update was released today which is said to be much snappier and efficient (more optimization from devs and Microsoft still needs to occur IMO though)

17. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

18. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I've been using my WP7 since they were released. It's not bad, has the pros and cons I'm sure you've already read about. Yet that said, I still prefer my Android phones over the WM7.

It's obviously not as mature as an iPhone. Frankly I don't think it should be compared anyway.

The ideal smartphone for me, would be an iPhone with a 4.0" display, and a working internal antenna.

19. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

20. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

YET is the keyword here.

Having said that they have a good marketing plan for the "other" smart-phone users. :apple:

21. mz100 macrumors regular

I own an iPhone 4, and got a chance to briefly play with a Windows phone 7 today. I played with the Samsung Focus=first impression, VERY IMPRESSED!!

I don't know how to describe it but the phone and OS of the Samsung was just....Light. Everything was very fluid, and fast. Microsoft did a kick ass job on WP7, in fact, I would honestly say its more fluid than an Android phone.

Ok here goes my review, (I have owned quite a few phones, so I know what I talking about)

Design (physically)
    There will be many different WP7 and Android phones, but only one new iPhone each year. And as far as the design and the way the phone is constructed, the iPhone wins no questions asked, it is shiny, good weight, and an all around sexy phone. The thing you have to remember about the iPhone is that the OS and device are both made by the SAME COMPANY, which means software and hardware are going to work better than the competition. The Samsung focus is plastic, but did feel good in the hands, it was easy to type on and I will review the keyboard later.

Screen
    Well the big thing here is Retina v. Super Amoled. and just like any other feature on a phone it is opinion based, personally I would take the Retina display, just because the PPI is so high that text and details look unbelievable clear on the display, not to mention the colors on the iPhone look pretty damn good too. However, if what you are looking for is colors and movie watching the Super Amoled is the clear winner. When you look at the Super Amoled display the colors are just sharp, they pop-out and are very bright. Both displays are great. Here is the way I look at it though, Super Amoled maybe better in watching movies and looking at pics, but I spend a majority of my time texting, emailing and surfing the web, meaning the retina display is going to win FOR ME. IMO more people spend time on the internet, reading emails & texts than watching movies.

OS/UI
    Before Windows Phone 7, Windows Mobile was the clunkiest OS out their, yes, there may have been a lot of business features but the OS was just slow and buggy. Well, in WP7 it is fast and fluid! No lag what so ever, scrolling and navigating were very easy and the animations on the phone make it seem like the "tiles" and screen are real (lol, you no what I mean). Your tiles on the windows phone 7 are live meaning they update right away.
    you have a calculator app, phonebook, weather, news, messages, and email. But IMO the way the tiles work is just unorganized. I really like how fluid each app works, and how you have to scroll to the right or left to get more options, but it just seems like microsoft was 90% of the way there and just threw it together. i just think that the way to start the apps and display them on the homescreen could have been improved. I know the tiles are basically the entrance to how the UI works but its not as simple as IOS.

IOS on the other hand has 3 years of experience over WP7 OS. And Apple has done a fantastic job with it. Yes, their are no widgets, and the UI may seem "stale" but it is the easiest to use. The icons and every part of the OS is colorful, and really is visually appealing and pleasing to the eye. The retina display makes the icons look fantastic, and the phone and OS it self just look organized and simple. I personally prefer it. IMO every feature on the iPhone is more visually appealing than any other OS. When apple releases a feature they make sure it is perfect and easy to use.

In the end, I see more colors, more unity and organization in IOS. In windows phone 7, there is a lot of black, and the tiles are only 2-3 colors, v. the wide variety on the iPhone. WP7 is very fluid and easy to navigate around and IMO less laggy than Android phones.

App Store
    Come on now....
    The app store is simply incredible, over 300,00 apps/games and counting. Gaming companies like Electronic arts, Business's, Stores and universities are all releasing major applications on the iPhone! Yes, Android is starting to catch up, but I have yet to find a Major app on the Android market that is superior to the iPhone version.
    Windows phone 7 just started, but has a decent amount of apps. The xbox live integration is great, and very colorful which makes the app look like fun, and work great too.
    In the end Apple wins.

Email/Music/other
    for basic email again the iPhone's clean and organized UI make it very easy to use. However because I don't use my iPhone for business, I cannot vouch for the amount of features that it has, I know for sure that it is not as advanced as a blackberry though. Windows phone 7 has a simple, elegant app that is very smooth. again same thing with business email.

Music on both devices is great. Basically Zune v. iPod argument. Both are great and it's totally your opinion.

Keyboard
    Ok, I believe this deserves it's own section. ON an only touch screen phone the on screen keyboard is the only form of text input. the iPhone has been my favorite to date. Apple did its research with the size of screen to keyboard character lengths, and widths, to best colors, everything. And I have always preferred the iPhone's keyboard its fast and simple and very easy to get used too. I have used the HTC keyboards, Stock android, Every althernative on the android market, you name it and I have not found one to come close to the one on the iPhone. Their is just a lag or its not as fast.

HOWEVER, after using the keyboard, I was THOROUGHLY impressed, I was blown away by how easy and accurate it was to type on. Easily better than any Android alternative, and IMO just as good as the iPhone's.

All in all, it comes down to user preference. But I have to say I have used many phones, with the Galaxy S, the windows phone 7 phones coming out they look pretty cool, but i have never thought of giving up my iPhone. The organization makes it look like an elegant OS and is easy for me to use. Not to mention Jailbreaking opens up a whole new world of phone. Good luck to what ever you do, and if you have any questions just ask.

22. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Thanks for the review.

23. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Microsoft emulated Apples first iPhone. It couldn't copy & paste either.

Even worse, all other smartphones ran on 3G when Apple could barely make the iPhone function on EDGE.

Apple & leading edge don't apply.

24. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I had to use a Win7 phone for work (AT&T) and i can honestly say.. i'd rather use my old V60i. Crap OS, crap hardware, crap apps, crap everything.