iPhone Was Most Activated Smartphone in United States Last Quarter According to Survey

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple increased its share of smartphone activations in the fourth quarter of 2017, following the release of the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X, according to data shared with MacRumors by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners.

[​IMG]

iPhones accounted for 39 percent of activations in the United States between October and December, up from 34 percent in the year-ago quarter, based on CIRP's survey of 500 people who activated a new or used smartphone during that period.

Samsung was the runner-up with a 32 percent share of activations during the quarter, trailed by LG at 13 percent. All other smartphone vendors, including Motorola, HTC, and others, accounted for the remaining 16 percent share.

[​IMG]

The survey findings are rather unsurprising given a trio of new iPhones launched between late September and early November, while Google's Pixel 2 and LG's V30 were essentially the only major Android smartphones to debut during the quarter.

CIRP co-founder Josh Lowitz:
    The survey also shows that Apple and Samsung continue to form a smartphone duopoly in the United States, with no sign that'll change any time soon.

Article Link: iPhone Was Most Activated Smartphone in United States Last Quarter According to Survey

2. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That supercycle uprades. It seems many people took a bite of the preverbial bullet and bought lots of iPhone X

4. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

I wonder what the breakdown of models was. The survey taken the week before Christmas showed worldwide the 8, 8 Plus and X only accounted for 1/3 of activations. I'm sure it was higher in the U.S. though.

Just a personal anecdote, but two members of my family and one friend purchased iPhones over the holidays; two iPhone 6 devices on one of the national discount pay-as-you-go carriers for the $199 sale price (no contract) and one that got an iPhone 7. I have yet to see an X out in the wild.

5. Wash08 macrumors member

Wash08

Apple is doom!!!! for almost 30 years I've hearing this....like or not they are the master of marketing and brand perception, the fact that they have very good products is the icing on the cake.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 16, 2018 ---
    Not really, if you really want to switch to other phones or brand you can, no one is forcing these people to do it. I tried I switched from and iPhone to a android for a year, I just could not get pass android mess of ui...and the constant tinkering to get it to work, is more work than is worth.

6. Danoc, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  7. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Doomed!! The ironic clarion call of Apple fanatics everywhere.:)

You may have chosen the wrong Android handset. If you had to constantly tinker to get things to work you definitely chose the wrong handset. Either that or you're referencing something from the distant past that's no longer relevant.

8. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

How many of those were forced to upgrade from a slow, awful battery 6 model? My other half bought a new iPhone 8 before batterygate was a thing as her 6 was getting completely unresponsive. Shame on apple.

9. anzio macrumors 6502

Absolutely loving my X. Been a while since I felt this smoothness.

I hop back to my folks 6s from time to time, and it’s always a shock to see how used to the iPhone X I’ve become. Pressing the home button seems like a distant memory.

Hope Apple keeps this up. It’s a solid product.

10. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

iPhones are going to be really popular in the US, so no surprise they did well last quarter.

11. macTW Suspended

I thought the new iPhones were bad, according to people whining on these forums...?

12. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

Huh? Are we looking at the same graph? It shows Apple doing the same in Dec 2017 as they did in March 2017. That is not being better nor show the iPhone X as a super seller.

13. PG(Austin) macrumors regular

PG(Austin)

14. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

They’re literally everywhere at least in Italy and in all the airports I’ve seen recently.

The iPhone lineup, though, works great, as there’s something for almost every pocket, plus an halo device on top.

15. now i see it macrumors 68040

16. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Same for my wife. Then she dropped it into the toilet and needed a quick replacement.

17. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Lucky girls :):)

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I was also wondering a breakdown which iPhones were specifically categorized as activated, but I'm not sure if there's a way to actually know this without having Apple allowing so. Either way, I suspect that many of the devices activated are older devices such as an iPhone 7 for example.

I think with the announcement of the iPhone 8/X, carriers want to liquidate older models by discounting them and Apple discounted the iPhone 6S/7 further, which I believe those are still very popular iPhones with a cheaper price point which are likely contributing to the activation percentage.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This makes sense. However, the issue is we will never know as Apple stopped reporting specific number breakdowns.

20. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

What's going to happen when a slightly faster phone is unnecessary? When the entire front is a screen and nothing new to add? And software has been scrutinized so that upgrades for to slowdown is upon us?

21. KiwiAdventure Suspended

And the fake news industry said there would be a shortage of the iPhone X until February. How wrong they were yet again

22. KBeat macrumors newbie

KBeat

Out of curiosity, where do you live? I've seen dozens of X's out in the wild in the Los Angeles and Denver areas. I know four people personally who have them as well. One thing about the notch, love it or hate it, it makes an X easy to spot.

FWIW, my wife is upgrading from a 7 to an 8. She does not want the X because it's not available in Rose Gold or regular Gold. I expect Apple with add a Gold option soon to the X for this reason.

23. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

I didn’t even know iPhone 6 were still available for sale. I guess it varies by country.

Estimates vary between 30 and 40 million iPhone X sold last quarter. No idea what country you live in, but your observations apparently aren’t generalizable to the larger population.

24. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Also, corporations that have been laggards and DOJ, Homeland security and other gov security departments leaving BB10 devices as OS support is done with pricing is just right.

Lmao. You’re wife is smart and cunning. My son tried the same move just when the iPhone 7 launched we repaired his 5S then. Upgrade to 6S came later. You can’t easily deny your wife an upgrade though, happy wife happy life so I guess that makes you smart as well.

25. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

I live in Mississippi. Not too rural, but I guess if I lived in one of the college towns I would possibly see some of the X. I've got a keen eye so I would spot an X pretty quickly from across the room. I imagine the relatively lower income of the area is affecting the mix of iPhone models to some extent, but I do remember seeing a lot of the iPhone 6 models shortly after they were introduced.