Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
Actually there have been some recent developments involving a leaked eng kernel. Tethered root on the AT&T Note 5 (requires an adb script to reboot), which is enough to mod system files and then unroot. Does not even trip Knox.

Damn, thanks for the heads up. Stopped following dev progress on it when I got my SE.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Did you even read that? It barely qualifies as an "article". The whole thing is "might", "could be"... then about ten paragraphs in, we get the real truth:

"Symantec also found seven new threats aimed at Apple's mobile iOS platform, with jailbroken devices - those that have been unlocked - being particularly vulnerable."

So yeah, jailbreaking makes iPhones vulnerable. This is news?

It seems to me that the only view you are prepared to countenance is one view through iSpectacles - hardly balanced is it?
[doublepost=1465120522][/doublepost]
Try teaching someone over 60 how to use an Android phone if they've never had a smartphone or a computer. Do the same with an iPhone. That should answer your question I believe.

That'll be me then - no issues whatsoever?
[doublepost=1465121150][/doublepost]I know many of you have said you prefer or think that iMessage is much better than its Android equivalent. I have to say that for me personally iMessage drives me to distraction. Now it could be me that isn't used to iMessage and so I am missing a trick here. However, with Android once you press 'send' the keyboard then dissolves but reappears the instant you put the cursor in the text box.

With iOS this doesn't happen, the keyboard remains meaning you have to press the back arrow which effectively takes you out of the message screen then reselect message in order to have a clear screen i.e. no keyboard? The keyboard remaining may not be an issue if you have a larger screen but on a 4" screen I find that in long texts I cannot see the entire message without swiping up. With Android because the keyboard hasn't remained it's much easier to read the entire message at once especially on a smaller screen - bliss.

Regarding security, I accept that Android has much more work to do to make it inherently safer to use. I've never quite understood why Android doesn't use the same system as MS i.e. issues updates regardless of manufacturer that go to all devices and for quite a number of years.

All in all though, I will have been using this 5c for a month come Wednesday and to be perfectly honest for everyday use I find it hard to differentiate between iOS and Android.

Sadly, though not unexpected the usual suspects have hit the thread and done what I feared i.e. turned into into iOS is fantastic and Android is the spawn of the devil, which if debated rationally is clearly not the case - well not if you are able to rationalise that is.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It seems to me that the only view you are prepared to countenance is one view through iSpectacles - hardly balanced is it?

[doublepost=1465121150][/doublepost]I know many of you have said you prefer or think that iMessage is much better than its Android equivalent. I have to say that for me personally iMessage drives me to distraction. Now it could be me that isn't used to iMessage and so I am missing a trick here. However, with Android once you press 'send' the keyboard then dissolves but reappears the instant you put the cursor in the text box.

With iOS this doesn't happen, the keyboard remains meaning you have to press the back arrow which effectively takes you out of the message screen then reselect message in order to have a clear screen i.e. no keyboard? The keyboard remaining may not be an issue if you have a larger screen but on a 4" screen I find that in long texts I cannot see the entire message without swiping up. With Android because the keyboard hasn't remained it's much easier to read the entire message at once especially on a smaller screen - bliss.

Regarding security, I accept that Android has much more work to do to make it inherently safer to use. I've never quite understood why Android doesn't use the same system as MS i.e. issues updates regardless of manufacturer that go to all devices and for quite a number of years.

All in all though, I will have been using this 5c for a month come Wednesday and to be perfectly honest for everyday use I find it hard to differentiate between iOS and Android.

Sadly, though not unexpected the usual suspects have hit the thread and done what I feared i.e. turned into into iOS is fantastic and Android is the spawn of the devil, which if debated rationally is clearly not the case - well not if you are able to rationalise that is.
You yourself have contributed to the atmosphere you wanted to prevent, by the judicious use of pejorative comments, such as "ispectacle." It's do as I say and not as I do.

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
I like both, but changed over to iOS because Android almost never offers updates, if you don't go for a nexus or flagship.

For me a smartphone is mainly for calls, messages, email and sometimes pictures. I don't want to buy a new phone every one or two years just to get security updates.

I do like most of the Google services, which have become a lot better than what Apple offers. I even use them on my iPhone , as their calendar is million times better than apples stock calendar app. Also Google play music and email is my first choice. Google drive is also excellent.

I might change back to android in future.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
You yourself have contributed to the atmosphere you wanted to prevent, by the judicious use of pejorative comments, such as "ispectacle." It's do as I say and not as I do.

I simply report as I find - hope that's not too pejorative for you?
[doublepost=1465129543][/doublepost]
I like both, but changed over to iOS because Android almost never offers updates, if you don't go for a nexus or flagship.

For me a smartphone is mainly for calls, messages, email and sometimes pictures. I don't want to buy a new phone every one or two years just to get security updates.

I do like most of the Google services, which have become a lot better than what Apple offers. I even use them on my iPhone , as their calendar is million times better than apples stock calendar app. Also Google play music and email is my first choice. Google drive is also excellent.

I might change back to android in future.

Your response came at a very good moment as I was going to post something very similar. I started off with the 5c almost a month ago determined to live with Apple only apps. However, as the month as gone on I have found myself installing quite a number of Google apps. It wasn't really a conscious decision it's simply the fact I find Google apps seem to be more intuitive and flow really well.

Without realising it I have now almost replicated my Xperia on the iPhone. As you say, Gmail, Calendar, Google Play Music, Google Maps etc. etc. Mind you I'm not the only one as I know lots of iPhone users who use Google apps. I think this is how it should be though. At the end of the day it's about a good user experience for the consumer and if that means a mix and match of apps then why not?

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

For me a smartphone is mainly for calls, messages, email and sometimes pictures. I don't want to buy a new phone every one or two years just to get security updates..

You still get Security Updates with Android sooner, just not the normal iOS updates Apple gives out for functions and additional features. You don't have to buy another every 1 or 2 years

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I simply report as I find - hope that's not too pejorative for you?
[doublepost=1465129543][/doublepost]

Your response came at a very good moment as I was going to post something very similar. I started off with the 5c almost a month ago determined to live with Apple only apps. However, as the month as gone on I have found myself installing quite a number of Google apps. It wasn't really a conscious decision it's simply the fact I find Google apps seem to be more intuitive and flow really well.

Without realising it I have now almost replicated my Xperia on the iPhone. As you say, Gmail, Calendar, Google Play Music, Google Maps etc. etc. Mind you I'm not the only one as I know lots of iPhone users who use Google apps. I think this is how it should be though. At the end of the day it's about a good user experience for the consumer and if that means a mix and match of apps then why not?
Not at all, I simply report on what I find.

MacHead84

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I am a guest in the land of smiles
I like the iPhone's iOS softwear more than the Android.
That's the reason why I am always buying iPhone.
If you admit than e.i. the Galaxy S7 has a far better camera. But I just can't adopt to the Android software. I just don't like it.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I like the iPhone's iOS softwear more than the Android.
That's the reason why I am always buying iPhone.
If you admit than e.i. the Galaxy S7 has a far better camera. But I just can't adopt to the Android software. I just don't like it.
Seriously though, do you know what it is you don't like because for me if you covered up the branding I would struggle to tell which was which and I suspect so would many others.

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
The differences really have disappeared quite a lot.

I used to be Android, but I got a MacBook, and thought I'd go for an iPhone 5. Since that I have been a huge iOS device fan, with iPads and iPhone 6/6s.

I did try an Android device between the iPhone 6 and 6s, it was a Galaxy Note 4. I have to say that I really liked using Android again, though a bit too much extra Samsung stuff on top for my liking (especially as I had always had Nexus devices before), but there were somethings I loved with it.

I eventually sent it back, and consequently upgraded to the 6s. Not because I didn't/ couldn't like it, but because of the fact of integration with my MacBook Pro and iPad.

This isn't so much a reflection on the individual devices or operating systems, but their respective ecosystems. Being able to hotspot from your iPhone with your Mac or iPad without even touching the phone, or the SMS relaying, or phonemail forwarding. It's just those little things.

Now, if there were to be an Android / Windows implementation of this, then great. BUT, it wouldn't be first party, built in from the ground up, and THAT'S what sways me.
[doublepost=1465138592][/doublepost]
I know many of you have said you prefer or think that iMessage is much better than its Android equivalent. I have to say that for me personally iMessage drives me to distraction. Now it could be me that isn't used to iMessage and so I am missing a trick here. However, with Android once you press 'send' the keyboard then dissolves but reappears the instant you put the cursor in the text box.

Well, that's not really an iMessage "issue", more just the Messages App...

But actually it makes more sense to not have the keyboard disappear every time you send a message, especially as it's considered instant nowadays... Imagine you're having a back and forth, and you have to wait for the UI animation to get rid of the keyboard, and then re-tap on the message field? What a bore!

Perhaps you're not aware of this, but on iOS everything is more "swipy". You want to hide that keyboard to read the long message? Swipe down on the conversation thread as if you were scrolling, and it'll slide the keyboard out of view...

Want to go back? Don't even need to use the arrow, swipe from left to right from the edge of the screen, magic!

(Assuming this is all on iOS 7 and later)

Last edited:

adam_fox

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, Florida
I've used iOS for a few years, then Android for a few years, and now back to iOS for my primary phone. I agree with many previous posters, but want to add some points. A few notable aspects of Android phones that I favored:
  • Android offers more customization, in general. For example, I found it very helpful to make the flashlight app larger on my home screen.

• Android phones often feature a wonderful little LED light that blinks different colors for missed calls and texts, among other functions.

• Android phones can typically be connected to a PC, and the file directory of the phone can be easily browsed.

• Android's store is more liberal in terms of submissions. (Admittedly, this aspect can be both an advantage and disadvantage.) A few years back, someone developed an app that would notify you every time a drone killed somebody. Apple rejected the app on grounds that it was "crude." I felt such an app could be an important way to raise social awareness on an important topic.
Here are a few attractive attributes of Apple/iOS that I favor:
  • My favorite Apple "feature" is that its CEO is gay*. As a fellow failed heterosexual, I believe Tim Cook has a more personal commitment to privacy that is reflected in Apple's products. Surely, no system is completely secure. And the Snowden revelations strongly suggest Apple was involved to some degree regarding mass collection of data. However, I feel Apple was likely compelled and acting under duress. Steve Jobs has always had a very strong commitment to privacy as well.

• Apple builds accessibility more deeply into its products. I would argue that a Windows user or Android user should not need to purchase a third party-screen reader that may not necessarily work all of the time.

• The curated App store. As much as I don't favor closed systems (see remark about re: drone app), overall, the curated app store serves to improve security and stability of iDevices.
One area wherein Apple can significantly improve relates to its iTunes software. That piece of software is very poorly designed, and incredibly intuitive - even to many Apple users. To start with, it's poorly named. Apple should work to integrate iTunes with the App Store, iCloud and other aspects of its web portals to create a more seamless, and easier to navigate tool.

It should also be noted that I was very disappointed to find that HealthKit was tracking my steps and activity by default. And, that I had to go out of my way to turn that off. :-(

Lastly, I can't help but to make a funny re: Tim Cook's gayness. Wait for it .. It's not a bugger, it's a feature. :) I hope I don't get flagged for that .. because c'mon that's a good one. :)

Reactions: LCPepper

Lawney

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
I've thought long and hard about starting this thread as I know how quickly such threads descend into slanging matches.

However, here goes. My wife's got a new works iPhone and her company has let her keep her old 5c. Having owned an iPad I'm familiar with iOS so I thought I would pop my SIM in the 5c and try out an iPhone for a few weeks (I have owned one of the early iPhones for a short while).

Having lived with the iPhone for the last 3 weeks, hardware/design apart I really don't get why we have all this fierce tribal rhetoric between Android and iOS. For your average consumer I genuinely can't see there's much to choose between either systems. The basically both do the same things and with a similar level of sophistication.

I'm sure there will be posters telling me how iOS can turn water into wine or an Android owner telling me that Android can plait sawdust. As far as I can see whatever one can do so can the other with just the odd nuance in how they both achieve it.

Apart from the 5c is a bit short on storage capacity I could live with the 5c or my Xperia. Why anyone would want to spend days queuing for an iPhone though really is beyond me, or any phone for that matter.

I'd be curious to hear your opinions on BB10, which is a powerful RTOS. Unfortunately development has be paused by BlackBerry in order to prioritize their Android offerings.

I'm grabbing an iPhone SE simply because I don't like Google. I like iMessage and FaceTime and NightShift. The OS itself is inconsequential, a glorified launcher, and certainly not a good reason to prefer the iPhone to anything else.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Well, that's not really an iMessage "issue", more just the Messages App...

But actually it makes more sense to not have the keyboard disappear every time you send a message, especially as it's considered instant nowadays... Imagine you're having a back and forth, and you have to wait for the UI animation to get rid of the keyboard, and then re-tap on the message field? What a bore!

Perhaps you're not aware of this, but on iOS everything is more "swipy". You want to hide that keyboard to read the long message? Swipe down on the conversation thread as if you were scrolling, and it'll slide the keyboard out of view...

Want to go back? Don't even need to use the arrow, swipe from left to right from the edge of the screen, magic!

(Assuming this is all on iOS 7 and later)
Well thank goodness someone knows what they're doing with iMessage and thank you. No more keyboard between texts, though you do have to be careful with swipe down as all the previous messages roll down if you aren't careful.

The wife's been using an IPhone for years and just told me she had no idea you could do that.

Reactions: LCPepper

chrisforpm

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2015
I used to be a bit of an Apple fanboy until I experienced android first hand. Now I enjoy both systems equally. I own a 6s Plus and a Note 5. My iPhone is my daily driver mostly because of iMessage and my Apple Watch.

Here are things I love about my iPhone:
- Apple Watch
- Apple Pay (neither Android nor Samsung Pay are available in Canada yet)
- Frequent updates
- as noted earlier, iMessage and the way it handles group messages
- Battery life

Things I love about my Note 5:
- customization
- wireless charging/fast charging
- amazing AMOLED screen
- widgets (I love checking the weather or my email without having to open apps)

At the end of the day, most people buy the phone that looks good and what they can afford. Most people don't care as long as it works.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
I have a feeling more would not be so harsh on Android if they tried a current gen device. Android has come a LONG ways from the days of Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, etc. With that said, lately I've just been sticking with iOS due to integration between the family's numerous iDevices and OSX products. But I still keep an Android or two around and usually it's a flagship, just to keep up with that side of the world. Same goes for Windows.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I'd probably be on Android if my phone was my main communication device.

But for me, it's not. I communicate more from my computers (both home and work) and my tablet than I do from my phone. I use my phone only when I'm out and about.

No matter which device I'm in front of, I want to be able to make/receive phone calls, messages (including old-fashioned SMS ones), video calls, as well as access all of my media (music, photos, videos, etc). I've been very happy with the Apple ecosystem in this regards.

I know that I can install Skype and WhatsApp and Google Photos and Amazon Music and get 95% of that functionality on practically any mix of operating system (Android, Windows, etc), but I don't want to manage maintaining all of that. I prefer having those capabilities built-in at the ground level (like a few others here have mentioned).

I've been pretty impressed with some of the hardware I've seen on some Androids (esp when it comes to screens), and a few of the geeky things you can do with the OS. But it hasn't been enough to make me want to switch to a phone that won't integrate in-depth with my other devices without a fair amount of work on my part.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Absolutely right too. If your family were using other devices then no doubt you would probably be using those instead.
This is ultimately what has kept me with iOS for my main line.

your issue isn't of iMessage. Your issue is the way iOS handles the keyboard. I'm not discrediting your viewpoint, just pointing out this isn't exactly an iMessage fault that you're seeing.

The top reasons people love iMessage that I can think of:
Read receipts (should you care to enable)
No character limit (though software has more or less come far enough that even sms is stitched together)
Much higher quality pictures and particularly video (compared to MMS, but also to something like hangouts)
Ability to hop between devices, including macs, to send messages.

These are in no particular order, by the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Android Pay just launched in UK, I love it. You only need to wake the screen for purchases under £30 but you have to unlock it for purchases over £30.

Xperia battery life is just the best - 2 days even with moderate use.
[doublepost=1465142719][/doublepost]
I'd be curious to hear your opinions on BB10, which is a powerful RTOS. Unfortunately development has be paused by BlackBerry in order to prioritize their Android offerings.

I'm grabbing an iPhone SE simply because I don't like Google. I like iMessage and FaceTime and NightShift. The OS itself is inconsequential, a glorified launcher, and certainly not a good reason to prefer the iPhone to anything else.
I don't really know enough about embedded real time operating systems to give you an opinion - sorry.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
Wait til you try Samsung Pay. Any place you can use a traditional magnetic strip credit card, you can use Samsung Pay. Truly is the best, right now.

Reactions: aristobrat

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Well thank goodness someone knows what they're doing with iMessage and thank you. No more keyboard between texts, though you do have to be careful with swipe down as all the previous messages roll down if you aren't careful.

The wife's been using an IPhone for years and just told me she had no idea you could do that.

You're welcome, glad I could be of some use!

I think the issues with iOS is that there is a lot of this stuff 'hidden', because let's face it, that isn't really obvious in any sense, and there is no pop up the first time to show you it.

Now, if you've been using iOS over the years, as they introduced some of the more swipe like features over time, you might try it 'naturally', I emphasise might.

But especially for someone who has come over from Android, which does work in a different way, it really is something Apple should address.

I know they have the Tips app, but I'm not sure what that will actually have in terms of information.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'm enjoying the android posts describing the android pluses.

Gives added perspective to this thread ...keep them coming.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I'm enjoying the android posts describing the android pluses.

Gives added perspective to this thread ...keep them coming.
I find one the the problems with forums be it Apple, Android or Windows phone is the absence of balance and perspective and a general unwillingness to give credit where its due to competitors wares.

In the end I think the consumer is poorer for it.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I'm sure there will be posters telling me how iOS can turn water into wine or an Android owner telling me that Android can plait sawdust. As far as I can see whatever one can do so can the other with just the odd nuance in how they both achieve it.

no, iOS doesnt turn water into wine.. not even close. i prefer android - it is more flexible, easier and can be used widely - but i also prefer some privacy. only thing that keeps me using iphone nowadays as my primary phone is a privacy.

i dont mean that android is unsecure (it isnt) but i literally hate android app updates: they always ask new permissions when updating. i only use paid apps in both platform, but for a some reason google lets devs in android world to change apps much and often with new permission. today you buy the app which has no special permission, tomorrow it is updated and now it askes to read your contacts.. with the next update it wants to read your calender and so on...

i understand if the app has something to do with sharing etc.. and it adds more functionalities. but i dont understand why a calculator app needs to read and write sms and so on...

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I've thought long and hard about starting this thread as I know how quickly such threads descend into slanging matches.

However, here goes. My wife's got a new works iPhone and her company has let her keep her old 5c. Having owned an iPad I'm familiar with iOS so I thought I would pop my SIM in the 5c and try out an iPhone for a few weeks (I have owned one of the early iPhones for a short while).

Having lived with the iPhone for the last 3 weeks, hardware/design apart I really don't get why we have all this fierce tribal rhetoric between Android and iOS. For your average consumer I genuinely can't see there's much to choose between either systems. The basically both do the same things and with a similar level of sophistication.

Apart from the 5c is a bit short on storage capacity I could live with the 5c or my Xperia. Why anyone would want to spend days queuing for an iPhone though really is beyond me, or any phone for that matter.

Just ignore the tribal rhetoric. Apple as a company has always stood for something I and many others agree with, and for most of its history, those values were reflected in its products. That is less true now, and Apple really did change the world in the sense that other companies have elevated their own aesthetic and quality to compete. The end result of Apple softening its vision (somewhat) and its competitors improving is that the products available today are more similar than they are different.

As a consumer, pick what works for you (or, if you prefer, the corporate philosophy that most speaks to you) and disregard the naysayers. It's really that simple.

Incidentally, tribalism affects other things as well. As a DSLR owner, I've always been amused by the Canon vs. Nikon fandom, given that both are excellent systems with strengths and weaknesses. But for some, the brand name they are holding seems more important than the photos they produce. Personally, I love certain tools much more than others, but they are all a means to an end.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Just ignore the tribal rhetoric. Apple as a company has always stood for something I and many others agree with, and for most of its history, those values were reflected in its products. That is less true now, and Apple really did change the world in the sense that other companies have elevated their own aesthetic and quality to compete. The end result of Apple softening its vision (somewhat) and its competitors improving is that the products available today are more similar than they are different.

As a consumer, pick what works for you (or, if you prefer, the corporate philosophy that most speaks to you) and disregard the naysayers. It's really that simple.

Incidentally, tribalism affects other things as well. As a DSLR owner, I've always been amused by the Canon vs. Nikon fandom, given that both are excellent systems with strengths and weaknesses. But for some, the brand name they are holding seems more important than the photos they produce. Personally, I love certain tools much more than others, but they are all a means to an end.

Says it all really - good balanced response that can't be faulted - thank you.
[doublepost=1465162986][/doublepost]One thing that many posters who keep bringing up the Android updates issue may not be aware of is that since 2014 Google are updating all devices in the background via Google Services.

This is being done to get around the fragmentation and tawdry behaviour of some manufacturers/carriers. By updating via the backdoor to pardon the expression Google are able to patch security concerns and add features to the Android experience going as far back as Freyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.