iPhone WHY?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjr5485, Apr 3, 2009.

1. pjr5485 macrumors newbie

Ok, let me start by saying I was one of the people that waited in line for 10 hours when the original iPhone came out. I paid $500 for an iPhone only to find out the price dropped dramatically a month or two later. Apple's solution? Give us a $100 store credit. Not acceptable.

I currently have an iPhone 3G that I use as well as a Blackberry Bold. I have been switching back and forth between the two. As much as I love the Blackberry it can't do everything the iPhone does. However, as much as I hate/love the iPhone it can't do everything the Blackberry does.

I'll list my main issues with the iPhone. The issues are ones that should be so simple for Apple to correct, yet they don't. It's not that they can't, it's that they won't. That is what angers me. They know these issues exist yet they choose not to correct them.

1) NO MMS-- The iPhone can browse websites, fart (using iFart), turn off the screen when close to your face, etc. but I can't send a picture to my friend. This is absolutely absurd and there is no reason for it. You and I both know that Apple is capable of introducing this to the iPhone, so why not? I love when I ask serious iPhone users or even AT&T employees about the lack of MMS, they always respond, "Oh well there is going to be an update for it soon." Really? This should have been something that was included originally.

2) CAN'T LANDSCAPE KEYBOARD-- Again...we know they can do it, so why not? I use my iPhone for a decent amount of email. I would LOVE to be able to turn my phone and use the keyboard as a landscape display. Again, if you ask others about this, you may get the response, "Well you can download an App for that." I don't want to have to download a separate App, open another program to type an email, then send it to my iPhone email before sending my email. This may be more absurd that the lack of MMS messaging.

3) NO SPELL CHECK-- Apple is trying it's best to compete with Blackberry so that the iPhone can be used by businessmen for intensive emailing. Yet, there is no built-in spell checker. I do not know a business professional out there that doesn't spell-check their email before sending it. Again, we know they can do it since people have written Apps for it. And also again, I don't want to have to open a separate App just to spell-check.

4) NO CUT COPY PASTE-- Again, back to Apple competing with Blackberry. Won't happen without this. And I don't want to hear, "There will be an update/App for this." I can't explain how many times I have wanted to copy and paste something in my browser from a text/email message or vice versa. Again, we know it's possible.

5) LACK OF BLUETOOTH INTEGRATION-- These days you can do so much with bluetooth: Wireless headphones, wireless keyboard, etc. Yet, you cannot use any of these devices on the iPhone (with the exception of a bluetooth headset). What if I want to buy stereo bluetooth headphones so I don't have to have a wire coming from my pocket? What if I want to take my iPhone to a meeting but type with a bluetooth wireless keyboard? Again, so many more things that the iPhone could do, but Apple chooses to not-allow.

6) CAN'T REPLACE OWN BATTERY-- The battery life on the iPhone is horrible. If I am using it as it is intended (checking my email, surfing the web, watching videos, listening to music, etc.) the battery will not last the entire day. They need to either allow access to the battery or improve the battery life. I shouldn't have to pay money to have my battery replaced.

These are just a few items off the top of my head.

Now don't get me wrong I obviously like the iPhone because I am currently using it now. I love all the Apps that are available and they can be very useful. Nothing compares to the touch-screen, display, Apps, etc. that the iPhone has. I just get so frustrated when trying to complete a task so simple as sending an MMS message and then realize I can't do that because I have an iPhone. With all that I have seen the iPhone do the list above should really all be standard.

Apple needs to step it up or else they are going to start losing customers and will never win over Blackberry users.

2. ncsimmons03 macrumors member

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Coming with 3.0. And I'd rather send my picures by email, it is free and way better IMO. Any phone that still have MMS but no email is the fail.

Some apps already have this, others coming in 3.0.

Yes there is.

It has bluetooth.

If you really wanted to you could.

Beat the BB? They have trampled all over the Storm.

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Your "problems" 1, 2, 4, and 5 are fixed in 3.0.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

WHY, or perhaps how, do you not know anything about OS 3.0 coming this summer and the fixes it brings to most of your problems?

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

1)
    2)
    4)
    5)
    are all coming in june / july

3) is sort of done with the auto correct (if you're close enough)
    6) will never happen. Apple seems to be in a "hide the battery" state of mind right now.

_edit_ (seems I'm late)

7. papiti macrumors regular

papiti

WOW, sucks to be you on your constant indecision.

WOW, I gotta talk to Apple and RIM. Lets build a new PHONE for the undecided want all people. Lets Build the NEW iBerry.

Is the best of both worlds. Its an iPhone/Blackberry combined. WOW how perfect is that. AWESOME.

Built just for people like you, undecided on which phone to use and for what. For those unsatisfied people who need to do everything at the same time. :D:apple:

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Dude what are you talking about LOL

1. Coming with 3.0 this summer

2. " " " " "

3. Already apart of the iPhone since day 1

4. Coming with 3.0 this summer

5. A lot of bluetooth integration such as A2DP as well as accessory integration is coming with 3.0 this summer

6. I guess the battery CAN be an issue but honestly it lasts just as long as any other phone I have ever used (i.e. Palms, Blackberrys). It helps keep the iPhone slim by being one piece. Also with todays technology, most people are close to some sort of socket at all times. Just carry a charger in your briefcase/luggage/car etc...

So honestly this thread is pretty illogical as an argument against the iPhone.

10. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Ditto what everyone else said about 3.0..

Sorry, I don't think Apple had to do that period, and no one told you to wait 10 hours in a line to get one. You chose to do that and pay the $500.00; no one forced you to do either. Technology gets cheaper as time goes on. You buy a computer and in a few months you can get something better for the same price.

11. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Guess you better get a blackberry then. The iPhone has been out long enough, and so has the 3.0 software announcement. Not sure why you need to post all this crap that has been posted numeros times before.

And great 1st post...ah booo

12. pjr5485 thread starter macrumors newbie

My Response

Reading everyone's responses kind of made me laugh. Every one of you wrote how all these issues will be fixes in "the new 3.0 software that is coming out." Why doesn't anyone else see a problem that it took Apple this long to correct these issues? They should have been standard in the first place. As to why am I posting this, because I want to and I can.

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

what good would complaining do when it's already been fixed.

14. pjr5485 thread starter macrumors newbie

Someone please tell me where I can click a button to run spell check? Yes I know the iPhone has auto-correct but I didn't post anything about the lack of auto-correct I posted about a lack of SPELL CHECK.

No one else sees a problem that it took Apple 2 years to come out with a fix that allows all of these features?

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

No, I got the iPhone knowing it couldn't do this stuff and it didn't stop me nor do I care. If you knew it didn't do this stuff and it didn't meet your needs, that's not Apple's fault. I don't understand people who do know this stuff and buy an iPhone and then complain about it.

16. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

17. pjr5485 thread starter macrumors newbie

One more to add

7) NO PROFILES-- Man wouldn't it be awesome if I could switch profiles with the click of a button. Yes, I want to be notified when I have a new email, but not when I am sleeping. Some would say, "Just put the phone on vibrate." But wait, I want to hear my phone ring if I am sleeping. Oh well can't have it both ways, right?

18. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Can you honestly say that you really didn't know that the iPhone had limitations? Just like other devices? Rather it be a cell phone or laptop or TV and still buy it?

Please please please.... if you love your storm so much switch to it. No one cares that you love your little blackberry. Please move on if you are going to complain about things that they are finally implementing because they had OTHER ways around what it couldn't do.

And can you honestly say that they aren't human? That they are gods? And do everything right the first time? That they should get everything right the first time due to the fact they make us pay $200 for a phone? Or $500 in your case?

19. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

You know, if Apple had made false or misleading claims about the capabilities of their product I'd sympathize with you, but I don't feel like they did that. They made a great product that lacked some things people want. If you didn't know what you were buying, you didn't do your homework. Sounds like you bought an original iPhone, then, knowing what it was all about, got a 3G. If you were so dissatisfied with it, why did you stick with it?

Your posts sound like you feel that Apple has some responsibility to satisfy you, or else their behavior is 'unacceptable'. I gotta tell you, that attitude has a really distasteful tone of entitlement that doesn't usually get a lot of traction around here. As far as I'm concerned Apple can make whatever they want, as long as they represent their product fairly, and we can all either buy it or not. But complaining like they have some kind of responsibility to do it the way you wanted sounds kind of twisted to me.

If you don't like it, buy something better. If there's nothing better, then stop complaining -- especially since they're actually addressing most of your concerns soon.

20. pjr5485 thread starter macrumors newbie

21. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Yes, yes... I am funny.

Listen, they are right. You have this attitude of entitlement coming on here demanding crap and just ripping on the phone. So please listen to me for your sake or I'm gonna embarrass you even more. When sending important emails to co-workers, boss, employers, consumers or business partners I reread my emails not only to look for spell check but grammar errors that aren't even caught by computers sometimes because they have algorithms and sometimes, they aren't the best. I understand that computer and technology is limited. You however seem to don't understand this concept. Go back to 1980 and please please please!!! Complain about the 10KB improvements they made to their computers. Cause when we don't get a 100% performance gain in our new devices now we complain?! :confused:

You are not special. I don't care about you. You are just another person who is going to live and die. Your name will not be remembered. Your face will be forgotten. And the universe will not pity you.

But here, I'll try to make life a little easier on you. I like the idea of suggestion improvements that they can do to their phone or new ideas. I love that to encourage people from different areas of demographics and push innovation. This isn't what you are doing. You are trying to rip on a device that is my mind, simply great. Now, do I want to see innovation in it? Yes please. I do. I want to see it get better and meet other needs that I wish for and if they do that, they'll keep my business and I'll continue to give them my money.

Please, you don't seem like a dumb kid. But know that we want constructive critics or ideas for innovation so we can talk about them and evolve the ideas. That's fun. That's helpful. That drives the market. That drives developers.

I bid you hear me. Cause you aren't larger than life.

Yeah and if you didn't want to hear my response you shouldn't have posted. And sorry it's a Bold! Big difference! No one wants to hear your damn complaints and saying another device is better.

22. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I just set the "Fetch New Data" to "Off" when I'm sleeping, so i don't get emails during the night.

23. pjr5485 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a reason why in all of your posts you refer to me as "just as another person that isn't special?" I don't ever remember writing anywhere that I was. I am an Apple customer, I paid my money to Apple. Do you know what that means? It means that I am entitled to my opinion just as you are. If I want to sit here and rip on the iPhone, well guess what, I will. If you want to sit wherever you are worship your iPhone, go for it. And really, if you want to spend your days trying to "embarrass" people on a web forum, I think me posting complaints about the iPhone is the least of your worries.

24. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Well, you posted in a forum where Apple is not able to defend itself. What do you expect?