iPhone With Apple Pencil Support Could Launch 'As Early As 2019'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is reportedly "mulling" the idea of launching a stylus compatible with iPhone, believed to be a new iteration of the Apple Pencil, which is currently only supported by the iPad Pro. The rumor comes from industry sources speaking to The Korea Herald (via The Investor), which claimed that Apple engineers "have recently been working" on a new iPhone device that "comes with a digital pen," aiming for a potential launch in 2019.

The sources said that the iPhone stylus is likely to adopt a "supercapacitor stylus type" for price benefits, contrasting with Samsung's Galaxy Note pen which is based on electromagnetic resonance technology that needs additional panel components to be installed underneath the smartphone display. "A supercapacitor type is cheaper to make compared to the EMR stylus. It also offers a more pen-like feel," according to the industry sources.

[​IMG]

Notably, Apple's current A-series chip would see a "drastic upgrade" as well in order to fuel a better handwriting experience for the stylus on iPhone.
    The Apple Pencil launched nearly two years ago in November 2015 alongside the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Apple's first stylus was designed specifically to work with the iPad Pro, and gives users the feel of using a real pen or pencil with sensors that determine the orientation and angle of the Apple Pencil, and pressure sensitivity allowing for darker or lighter pen strokes.

Former Apple CEO Steve Jobs was famously against launching a stylus for iPhones, during the original iPhone event stating: "Who wants a stylus? You have to get them, and put them away, and you lose them, yuck. Nobody wants a stylus."

Apple executives and current CEO Tim Cook have repeatedly avoided referring to Apple Pencil as a "stylus" over the years, with Cook commenting in an interview last year that "we launched a pencil not a stylus." The Apple CEO further stated, "I think that Steve would have loved" the Apple Pencil, and even gave early mention of a pencil device potentially supporting iPhones in the future: "if you've ever seen what can be created on an iPhone or an iPad with that pencil is really unbelievable."

Article Link: iPhone With Apple Pencil Support Could Launch 'As Early As 2019'

2. Beeplance macrumors 68000

Beeplance

"Who wants a stylus for their phones? You've to put it away, you lose em, YUCK"

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

This is an Apple thing to do. Instead of being like Samsung where a pen is provided. Give the ability to add one, at a price, oh and only the Apple one.

4. Delgibbons macrumors 6502

Delgibbons

f7c3d3906bda0a6870d13a5a7c54febf.jpg Who wants a styl..

Oh. The Note is popular you say.

What a joke :D

how-to-charge-apple-pencil-3.jpg

5. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

6. Lucamegh macrumors member

7. mmm1345 Suspended

mmm1345

Remember when Apple was innovative and Apple fans gleefully accused Samsung of stealing all their ideas? Doesn't feel so good to be an Apple fan does it? Not only that Apple takes 2 or 3 yrs to use those "ideas..." and have the gall to still call them "innovative."

8. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Not for me but happy for anyone who may want it. As long as there is no deep holes in my expensive iPhone.

9. mmm1345 Suspended

mmm1345

The way Apple Implements it - probably. Gotta be able to charge $100 for those lost "pencils." But on Samsung Devices they have built in, hidden, holders for the stylist. Something I bet apple won't do.

10. recoil80 macrumors 68000

Damn you were quick, I was about to write the same quote!

I think Pencil could make sense on the plus, but I don't want something similar to Samsung note were you have a place to store the stylus inside the phone. They better make it compatible to the one you can use on iPad so you can buy one pencil and use on the device you have with you, either the tablet or the smartphone.

11. BoneCollector Suspended

BoneCollector

Not interested for me. Whole point of the iPhone is it being compact and ready to use with just your finger

12. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

“God gave us ten styluses,” he would say, waving his fingers. “Let’s not invent another.”

Edit: Keep at it Tim, maybe if you piss him off enough, he'll haunt you and you can get some new direction. :)

13. obiwan macrumors regular

They need to add a stylus to the iPhone now - just so people can use the eraser to rub out the notch.

14. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

It will be right where the headphone jack used to live... ;)

15. jamface macrumors regular

jamface

It's hardly the most greaceful charging solution ever, but let's be honest, you have to be a fkng idiot to actually allow this to happen to something you spent $99 on.

16. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

When Jobs spoke about the iPhone, he wasn't talking about the beast iPhone Plus. Bit late to the game though. 'As early as 2019'....as early!? We'll be out of the EU by then and it's yonks away.

17. jamface macrumors regular

jamface

Well they're gonna do it anyway so who cares if it 'sounds awful'?

18. joueboy macrumors 65816

This must be a joke right? Unless Apple is hinting us a possible Galaxy Note style iPhone.

19. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Yes, because we are so used to border-less displays of iPhones of the past.... and this enormous-shocking notch came out of nowhere!!

20. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

I expected. Apple pencil works on iPad Pro but why not on iPhone X or X1. Most people don't need it but some people want it.

21. bwainwright macrumors newbie

The video and quotes of Steve often get rolled out whenever the Apple Pencil is discussed. However, in defence of Tim Cook, I think people are too quick to jump to those quotes/video.

At the time Steve made those comments in the keynote, pretty much all 'touch screen' devices were shockingly bad and pretty much unusable with just a finger - at least in the way we use them now. Most devices resorted to needing a stylus as the only reasonable way of interacting with the device. The iPhone changed all that, and Steve's comments were indicative of that shift in technology. Here'a device with a touch screen so good, so accurate, so responsive that you can use it entirely without a stylus, unlike 98% of devices on the market at that time. It was a game changer.

The Apple Pencil is an optional stylus. You don't need it. You can use the iPad Pro without the Pencil. But with it, you can write naturally or be more precise.

In that sense, I don't think Steve's comments are completely out of sync with the existence of the Pencil?

22. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

This is a bad hot taek. No one has to be an idiot for an accident to happen. Stuff happens.

23. litmag01 macrumors regular

litmag01

24. Asclepio macrumors 6502a

Asclepio

25. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Works great on the note phones, once Apple does it, people will say it’s magical or Apple did it first