iPhone X iPhone X 256gb Upgrade to iPhone XS Max 64gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kanu92, Jun 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. kanu92 macrumors newbie

    kanu92

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2014
    Location:
    On Earth
    #1
    Hey Guys

    Just wanted some advice/thoughts on whether I should upgrade to XS Max 64gb from my X 256gb. I've had my X since it was released and have loved using it. However I've been given the chance to upgrade to an XS Max 64gb which I am looking at purchasing from a close friend who doesn't want it (unwanted upgrade). My only issue is that if I go ahead would I be likely to miss out on anything major with the next iPhone that is due in a couple of months.

    Looking at the leaks, which are normally pretty accurate, it doesn't seem to be anything major. And that the bulk of change will be in 2020 iPhone's with 5G etc. My friend is willing to let me have the XS max for £700, unlocked from carrier, whilst I can sell my X for around £500/550. Meaning the XS Max would be effectively £150-£200 (depending on sale of my X).

    My thinking is that if there isn't going to be anything significantly different from XS Max to 2019 iPhone's, then this would be a cheap upgrade that I can use for at least next 12 months, before 2020 phones are out. New phone with a new and longer battery span. That being said my X is still working perfectly and has decent battery life at 87%, still lets me get 9hrs of use in a single charge. Memory wise wouldn't be a major issue for me as I tend to use iCloud for my stuff. So that being said what would you guys do in this situation? Would you upgrade or stay? or wait for the new phones? Let me know your thoughts:)

    P.S. Apologies for rambling on a bit
     
  2. Shirasaki macrumors G3

    Shirasaki

    Joined:
    May 16, 2015
    #2
    If I were you, I would ignore this deal entirely just because I did not get 256GB storage, but that is just me.

    Performance wise, X is still strong. What XS A12 processor provide is something called “sustained performance”, meaning that unlike X, the processor can keep up with the work load without ramping up device temperature longer than before. Xs has a better camera as well, however better it is. If you get XS Max you also get bigger screen, which is also a nice plus.

    But, without considering storage, I would still hold my X and skip Xs Max as 5G phone makes a bit more sense and Apple could have something really big by then.
     
  3. Steve121178 macrumors 601

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
    #3
    Financially it's a good deal. Depends if the 64GB is enough or not & also depends if you want a bigger phone.

    If I was looking to upgrade now I'd just hang on a few months for the 2019 models.
     
  4. ericwn macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2016
    #4
    If 64 GB works it will tell you that you overpaid the previous time. Other than that the difference between X and Xs are well documented and I bet most people wouldn’t upgrade just to the next generation as changes these days are rather minimal.
    If you use the iPhone as a camera though this year’s update should be interesting.

    I personally wouldn’t buy a device with this small storage anymore but my needs are likely different than yours.
     
  5. BigDO macrumors 6502a

    BigDO

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2012
    #5
    I moved from 64GB X to 256GB Xs Max recently because like you, I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse.

    The jump from X to Xs Max, screen and battery wise, is significant. It is also a much bigger phone so you will go through some adjustment initially.

    For me, 256GB is complete overkill, as I stream music and use iCloud for photo storage. I was using only half of 64GB, now for some reason even less on the Xs Max.

    So far, there is nothing that makes me think I'll really want to upgrade to 2019 models, but if this changes I will sell the Xs Max and buy the 2019 - the used market for the iPhones is always strong.
     
  6. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2012
    #6
    £700 at this stage is not that amazing.

    However if you are the person that would be happy to hold on the Xs max for say 2 years. And assured you can get 500 for your x.. and can comfortably use 64GB- then go for it.

    Otherwise reevaluate after September ..
     
  7. BigDO macrumors 6502a

    BigDO

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2012
    #7
    Isn't that £400 off the price? If so, pretty good for a brand new Xs Max.
     
  8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

    AustinIllini

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2011
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #8
    Sounds like a decent deal to me. My XS Max was purchased on Swappa for about $800 USD
     
  9. Tsepz macrumors 68030

    Tsepz

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2013
    Location:
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    #9
    If you are happy with the drop in storage amount then yes, HO for it.
     
  10. Wide opeN macrumors 65816

    Wide opeN

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2010
    Location:
    Georgia
  11. aakshey macrumors 68000

    aakshey

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2016
    #11
    If you want the bigger size/battery go for it. 11 Max - Only expected noticeable upgrades might be camera and battery life.
     

Share This Page

10 June 12, 2019