Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
iMore did an extensive article with regards to how you activate various items on the X. One thing that stands out to me is how the app switcher is activated.

If you want to quickly swipe back and forth through multiple apps on iPhone X, you can do that too. You can't double-click the Home button or use the 3D Touch firm swipe to bring up the multitasking interface and fast app switcher, though. You have to use the new gesture.

1. Touch your finger to the gesture area at the very bottom of the iPhone X display.
  2. Swipe up slightly.
  3. Pause. Don't lift your finger up immediately. (That'll take you Home.) Just. Pause.
  4. Lift up your finger.
It can take a few tries to get right, and you can exaggerate the movements at the cost of speed if you need to at first. After a while, though, the gesture is lightning fast.

I am a bit bummed we can’t do it with 3D Touch, now that they finally brought it back to the UI with the recent iOS update. I know 3D Touch isn’t used by many on MacRumors, but curious who else will miss this feature when using their iPhone X?

Reactions: LiemTa

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
iMore did an extensive article with regards to how you activate various items on the X. One thing that stands out to me is how the app switcher is activated.

I am a bit bummed we can’t do it with 3D Touch, now that they finally brought it back to the UI with the recent iOS update. I know 3D Touch isn’t used by many on MacRumors, but curious who else will miss this feature when using their iPhone X?
I believe...and someone can correct me if I’m wrong...that 3D Touch was temporarily removed and is not active in the version of iOS being used on the reviewed X models. It came back in a beta build that I am using now.

Reactions: Impatientmac

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Aug 6, 2012
You don’t have to hold your finger there after you slide up. You can slide up a tad up the right and let go. No need to stop. People are doing that on the reviews.

Reactions: 840quadra

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I believe...and someone can correct me if I’m wrong...that 3D Touch was temporarily removed and is not active in the version of iOS being used on the reviewed X models. It came back in a beta build that I am using now.

We don’t know what version they ship with.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I just haven't seen a reason why we can't have 3D Touch and swipe sideways to enact the app switcher. AFAIK there is no parallel gesture on the X that would be in conflict.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
We don’t know what version they ship with.
[doublepost=1509506099][/doublepost]
I just haven't seen a reason why we can't have 3D Touch and swipe sideways to enact the app switcher. AFAIK there is no parallel gesture on the X that would be in conflict.
There is absolutely no reason to believe it won’t have the 3D Touch enabled app switcher.

Rob198612

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Miami
I don't think the iPhone X comes with 11.1 since it was released today if thats the case then once you install 11.1 3D Touch multitask should start working.

Reactions: Hoosier317

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006

You can swipe horizontally against the bar at the bottom to app switch. I think it's easier.

jft94

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
It might just be me but I don't care if that little 3D touch multitask feature is on the X or not. That little swipe up and over gesture to do the same thing seems better to me.

Reactions: jabingla2810

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Read the link above, iMore states that 3D Touch does not enact app switching.

No iPhone has it on 11.0.3. 3D touch gesture comes back on 11.1. It's likely to exist on the X.

Regardless, the new swipe left/right is going to be faster to switch between recent apps, but I bet the 3D touch gesture is quicker to invoke the actual switcher than the slide up and wait.

devobail

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
For the record, I just learned about this gesture from this trend. And here I was double tapping home to get to app switching.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
For the record, I just learned about this gesture from this trend. And here I was double tapping home to get to app switching.
I didn’t know about the 3D Touch shortcut for this until recently, but I never use it. It’s on the wrong side of the screen for me. Guess I’ll be able to reach across easier with the X though!

Reactions: CaptMarvel

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
...that’s because it isn’t active in 11.0.3. It is in 11.1, which you can upgrade your iPhone X to on Friday.

No iPhone has it on 11.0.3. 3D touch gesture comes back on 11.1. It's likely to exist on the X.

Regardless, the new swipe left/right is going to be faster to switch between recent apps, but I bet the 3D touch gesture is quicker to invoke the actual switcher than the slide up and wait.
I am fully aware that 3D Touch is coming back in 11.1 (actually have had it for weeks since I am on dev Beta). I am also aware the X ships with 11.0.3.

I am not 100% sure, and am worried that it will not be supported on this phone due to potential gesture collisions. The X uses some gestures not possible on other iOS devices, and we still don’t know (I think??) why 3D Touch app switching was technically impossible when 11.0 was first released.

Hopefully this concern is all for nothing.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Good. I hate the 3D touch multitasking and personally think they should drop 3D touch altogether. It makes the screens too difficult to manufacture and barely adds any value.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It’s actually much faster to do certain tasks with 3D Touch

I’ve heard but I just never use it. I may be the minority.
[doublepost=1509570989][/doublepost]
3D Touch on the keyboard and it becomes a mouse cursor to quick navigate your text entry. Invaluable.

Yea but can’t the iPad do the same thing? Could implement without 3D Touch. I’m sure some people love it, but I just don’t have any uses for it.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

Yea but can’t the iPad do the same thing? Could implement without 3D Touch. I’m sure some people love it, but I just don’t have any uses for it.

I use an iPad Pro 10.5" and the same gesture is sloppy, inconsistent difficult to pull off without 3D Touch. It's two fingers, and it doesn't always trigger right.

They're definitely not going to remove 3D Touch.

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
I am fully aware that 3D Touch is coming back in 11.1 (actually have had it for weeks since I am on dev Beta). I am also aware the X ships with 11.0.3.

I am not 100% sure, and am worried that it will not be supported on this phone due to potential gesture collisions. The X uses some gestures not possible on other iOS devices, and we still don’t know (I think??) why 3D Touch app switching was technically impossible when 11.0 was first released.

Hopefully this concern is all for nothing.

iPhone X will actually ship with iOS 11.1.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Based on what information? The carrier allocation of units have been in US warehouses since at least Saturday. The review units that were a part of published reports yesterday had only been in their hands for about 24 hours. The units being shipped from China did so before 11.1 was released and the dev version was still in testing. How exactly do sumize that the 11.1 GM somehow made it on to devices?

They will arrive in people hands on Friday with 11.0.3.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

They were assembled and boxed before 11.1 had a GM build and all the review units are 11.0.3 - you'll probably need to update it right out of the box to accept your backup.

Although you know, it's pretty unlike Apple to release the 11.1 build, have everyone update, and then force all iPhone X buyers to set up as new, update, erase all content and settings, and restore the backup. Maybe there's a trick up their sleeve.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota

The iPad implementation is 2 finger, it won’t work as well on a smaller screen.

Why remove something that people like, just because you don’t use it? I never wear sunglasses, perhaps if I come to power, I will make them illegal . ;)

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
They were assembled and boxed before 11.1 had a GM build and all the review units are 11.0.3 - you'll probably need to update it right out of the box to accept your backup.

Although you know, it's pretty unlike Apple to release the 11.1 build, have everyone update, and then force all iPhone X buyers to set up as new, update, erase all content and settings, and restore the backup. Maybe there's a trick up their sleeve.

Apple does internal testing of iOS versions on upcoming hardware all the time. Look at this Geekbench score from September 14 and the version of iOS used:

geekbench.png

Reactions: macfacts
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.