iPhone X iPhone X battery info and usage not showing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iapplelove, Feb 11, 2018.

1. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

First time I ever saw this under battery settings. It says “Battery information will be available after using iPhone for a few minutes".

It shows my usage and standby but no individual app usage.

And as I type this it seems my iPad is doing the same. A little strange. Is this something new? Or a battery issue?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Did you just update both?

If you haven't, reboot each--

4. TechNismo macrumors 6502

TechNismo

1)I remember this happening back on iOS 9. It usually occurred if you didn't use your phone in the last 24 hours. Just use it for like 5-10 mins and it will start showing info.
    2) You just bought the X and it is your first time using it
    3) You did a restore on the phone

5. pgoelz macrumors regular

This has been happening randomly on my SE on all versions (including all betas) since 11.0. I have not found a pattern to it.... one minute the stats are there and the next they are AWOL. When they go missing, a simple reboot does not bring them back. Neither does a full charge. Sometimes they are missing for an hour or two. Sometimes for days. Web research shows this is a rather old issue, going back several years.

I called Apple support and asked them about it (thinking maybe I just wasn't aware of the trigger). They said it was the first time they had heard of it. When I expressed surprise, they said "you would be surprised how many people talk about issues on the net but never report them to Apple". I guess that is possible......

So I have been reporting it via the feedback app on each beta. Apple also opened a case as a result of my call and collected some logs and information while I was on 11.2.5. No word back yet.

Paul

6. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 601

iapplelove

So it looks like things are normal again. Reason it happened to both devices is becasuse I didn’t use them for over 24 hours.

I didn’t need my devices over the weekend, and when I was home and needed a computer I used my Mac.

Turns out if the screen isn’t in use for an extended period of time ( excluding home and lock screen) this message will pop up under battery info.

It just won’t read individual app info on battery useage, however standbye and usage will still show which it did indicate in my case.

After this post last night, I used my iPad for about an hour. Various things from YouTube to safari etc.

Same with my iPhone X, and now it shows all battery usage and info again.

Never knew this message probably because most normal people are always using their devices all the time lol. I’m in the minority and lately I have not really been using them much at all.

Thanks for the replies!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    You’re correct on the first one. However, it takes more than a few minutes like the message indicates. More than 5-10 minutes too. It was closer to an hour of actually usage before all battery info displayed again, and on both devices.

7. pgoelz, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

pgoelz macrumors regular

I'm glad the per app battery stats came back for you. However, that has definitely NOT been my experience. They have gone AWOL on my SE in spite of the fact that I have used my phone many times in a 24 hour period. And they do NOT always come back even after extensive use. Add to that the fact that Apple was totally unaware of this "issue" when I called to ask about it.

There are multiple threads here on MR as well as elsewhere on this issue. See THIS ONE for example. Some people are reporting that they have NEVER seen the per app battery stats.

Paul

8. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 601

iapplelove

Sorry your experience hasn’t been like mine. Both my devices are calculating battery info just as they should.

I’m sure in rare cases it can turn into an issue, but for my devices and from what I have read every device typically goes back to calibrating correctly after an hour of usage.

It’s actually more common than you think.

9. pgoelz macrumors regular

Well, that would explain why it is not discussed more often. Makes me even more curious why it is such a pervasive issue on my SE though. I'm pretty sure it is a software issue and not a hardware issue. When the per app stats DO eventually reappear, they include usage that occurred while they were missing so it is not that the process or the current sensor are offline. It seems to just be a UI issue.

Paul