iPhone X display not working on cold

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samuraisamurai, Nov 8, 2017.

1. samuraisamurai, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

samuraisamurai macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a space gray 256gb iPhone X and I really like the phone, except...

I live in Finland and here is cold (-30-5°C) about 6 to 7 months in a year. Yesterday I noticed that when I'm outside and temperature hits about -1°C (~30°F) my iPhone X's display becomes working incorrectly. Some touches aren't recognized and some are not accurate at all. Problem solves itself after about 3-5 minutes of use, or when I go back indoors.

This is driving me crazy. Anyone else having this kind of problem with the phone?

2. macphin macrumors member

Well, in fact I had the same issue just recently. It is around 5C degrees outside.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

From iPhone X tech specs:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

What's the first thing you read as you opened the box? HUH?!?

....It's NEVER that cold in California.

5. samuraisamurai thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, what happened? Did it just go away or did you fix it somehow?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    Oh, c'mon. iPhone 7 has exactly same specs and the screen works on -1-5°C where iPhone X is struggling.

6. macphin macrumors member

I have spent 15 min. outside, so the problem was gone when the phone got warmer. I've noticed the touch was inconsistent and it was impossible to type quickly. Never happen before with any iPhones.

7. samuraisamurai thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly same issue here.

8. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I live in Minnesota and I have the exact same problem. Happy I stay inside to use it mostly!

9. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Clearly a defective unit. Exchange it.

10. CiccioAtSea macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

Going naked or using a case? Wondering if this could make any difference; maybe a folio style...

11. samuraisamurai thread starter macrumors newbie

Naked. I haven't tried if case helps, maybe I should give it a try...

12. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

Same problem here. I live in PA and it’s been happening to me too when going outside. The mornings and evenings are in the low 30s F. Not really bothered by it though. I don’t typically sit outside in the freezing cold and use my phone lol

13. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Unresponsive screen at freezing. That's disappointing.

14. Evofreak23 macrumors newbie

I ride my bike in winter with my fatbike and need a phone incase of emergency. My iphone 6 handle cold weather (-10c ish) ok during those winter riding . I want to get the iphone x but this is worrying me.

15. samuraisamurai thread starter macrumors newbie

I contacted Apple Support/Care with this issue, they said it's not normal and they asked me to reset my phone to factory settings and set it up as a new phone (not from backup), and if the problem continues, my device will be changed.

16. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

This is exactly the type of fun stuff we get with brand new (experimental?) products.

So, adding to the list: restricted environmental functioning: temp. Not a huge problem, but not for the sky patrol :D

17. macphin macrumors member

I have tried to force restart the iPhone while I was outside and this worked for me. Not sure for how long though. Try it.

18. samuraisamurai thread starter macrumors newbie

Did what they asked, problem didn't go away. They will call me back tomorrow and I'll hear what's up next after Apple engineering team has checked out the problem.

19. neferr macrumors newbie

Also experiencing this problem. Only 40 degrees in Chicago, and the keyboard becomes unresponsive. It's about to get a lot colder.

20. hazeydavey macrumors regular

21. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

Wow..
    Then it was not just me :/

I live in Denmark and this morning it was around 1°C and my keyboard was not working correctly when walking from my car to my the office ..

Never been an issue before :O

22. bova80 macrumors 6502a

I had the same issue. 40 degrees in Pittsburgh, and when using iMessage it wasn't registering all the letters unless I went real slow. I'm running iOS 11.2 Beta so I didn't know if it was that.

23. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

Well this will certainly be interesting to revisit as it gets colder in large cities like Chicago and NYC where taking public transportation is common. Waiting outside for a bus or on an open ‘L platform in the Windy City? Downtown workers with the wind chill factor coming off the lake? Not cool at all.

Oh let me guess, people just need to buy yet another product so they can use their $1000+ phone properly.

24. neferr macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm thrilled to see how this is going to work in Chicago during the winter. If it can't manage 40F, we're screwed. #Coldgate is coming.

25. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Then -1°C (~30°F) is exactly within normal operating temperatures. Which is precisely why OP says there's a problem...