Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATG1209

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2018
Hello,

I just want to know if you can help me determine if my iPhone X has defective components or if this is a normal behavior.

The test I did was the following:

I run [AnTuTu Benchmark]https://itunes.apple.com/am/app/antutu-benchmark/id803837129?mt=8 two times in a row, to check if the second round would be affected by the fact the device is already hot.

The result was quite shocking, the iPhone looses up to 32% performance in the second round four to the heat and thermal throttling.

Here you can see the results:

[First attempt (214.271)](https://imgur.com/59PHElg)

[Second attempt (146.843)](https://imgur.com/SGRsUu4m)

Just to have a point of reference, my iPad Pro 9.7 deliver almost exact same result every single time I put it to the test, meaning no thermal throttling issues.

I hope you can take 5 minutes to run the same test and let me know the results, perhaps it’s jut a defect of my iPhone X.

Thanks in advance

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Me too. I get 145k or so. But I never get more than 150k. Not even in the first attempt.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
These tests are very taxing on the CPU and it is understandable that the protective software tell the hardware to slow down to protect itself. The OP's iPad has a much larger area to shed heat than the X but if you did the test over and over, even the iPad would be forced to slow down.

Not a defect but a "feature".

ATG1209

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2018
These tests are very taxing on the CPU and it is understandable that the protective software tell the hardware to slow down to protect itself. The OP's iPad has a much larger area to shed heat than the X but if you did the test over and over, even the iPad would be forced to slow down.

You are right, I understand that it is perfectly normal that the device throttle de cpu in order to protect it, but I am suspecting that my iPhone is doing it in a extreme way, I don’t belief it’s normal that I’m getting FPS slowdowns after 5 minutes of Fortnite iOS... that’s why I am asking to iPhone X owners to confirm such a throttle.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Throttling on the A11 is well known. Reviewers weren't even able to perform a single run of 3DMark before it throttled.

The iPhone X uses a stacked logic board and the A11 is literally sandwiched between two PCBs. Not great for heat, especially with the glass back.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

geromi912

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2018

It's certain one way to call "hardware that can never perform as advertised" a feature. Just like when you pay $2600 for a MBP for an i7-7700hq and an RX560, that after 5 mins magically transform into an i7-7500u and RX550 of a $700 laptop.
[doublepost=1530522939][/doublepost]
Me too. I get 145k or so. But I never get more than 150k. Not even in the first attempt.
I get 130K on my 6s......

Reactions: Harthag

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
It's certain one way to call "hardware that can never perform as advertised" a feature. Just like when you pay $2600 for a MBP for an i7-7700hq and an RX560, that after 5 mins magically transform into an i7-7500u and RX550 of a $700 laptop.

Enter 2018 and mobile 8th gen Intel CPUs as well. Every single laptop does this now, even down to the i5U and i7U ones. It is complete fraud in my opinion.

geromi912

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2018
Enter 2018 and mobile 8th gen Intel CPUs as well. Every single laptop does this now, even down to the i5U and i7U ones. It is complete fraud in my opinion.
What's more innovative than the breeding edge Boardwell processors and state-of-the-art 900p TN panels? A competitive price point of $999.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Most of the time the CPU chips are sitting and doing nothing so there should be little to no throttling.

If playing a game or doing your extensive CPU test, it has to throttle or it would be damages from heat. Even desktop CPU without direct active cooling will do the same. There is no conspiracy here, just physics!

Reactions: macintoshmac

geromi912

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2018
Most of the time the CPU chips are sitting and doing nothing so there should be little to no throttling.

If playing a game or doing your extensive CPU test, it has to throttle or it would be damages from heat. Even desktop CPU without direct active cooling will do the same. There is no conspiracy here, just physics!
Or just bad cooling or **** pasting job. Any proper desktop tower with a half decent cooler will be able to stay at max turbo frequency for hours.

Reactions: davidmartindale

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Or just bad cooling or **** pasting job. Any proper desktop tower with a half decent cooler will be able to stay at max turbo frequency for hours.

Just not required for average use.

But for your high performance needs active cooling is the answer and I still doubt the CPU would MAX for hours without some throttling. Few need this performance except gamers maybe and those with HUGE EGOS!

Reactions: macintoshmac

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

Oh I agree, for business use (my use) there's no problem at all. Same goes for my iPhone, I couldn't care less about my phone CPU benchmark. But I'd never spend the obscene amount Razer, Asus, MSI, etc., are all asking for their 6 core gaming laptops. They all throttle unless you perform hardware modification like re-pasting, re-seating. Even then there can still be power and/or thermal throttling. Very misleading on the part of Intel. This was not the case for my old i7 7700hq Blade or other 7700hq laptops. Even during Prime95 AVX testing all 4 cores stayed at their max clocks and never thermal or power throttled. The Intel 8th gen mobile CPUs from top to bottom are different beasts. And it is very shady.

Desktops, at least you have the option of beefy cooling unlike laptops and phones.

But for your high performance needs active cooling is the answer and I still doubt the CPU would MAX for hours without some throttling. Few need this performance except gamers maybe and those with HUGE EGOS!

I won't digress more off of this thread topic, haha. But I love this stuff. I de-lidded my 8700K and it can run all day at 5ghz on all 6 cores without issue at a low voltage that does no harm. Even without modification it could sustain 4.8ghz without issue. Exceeding Intel's spec. Again, options. For people who have high refresh rate monitors, maintaining the highest core clock possible is key. It has much more to do with minimum frame rate than max frame rate. It can make a 10+ fps minimum fps difference, which, is noticeable to those who have trouble maintaining constant 60 fps.

Last edited:

geromi912

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2018

But Apple swears their macbook "PRO" and imac "PRO" are not only for average use but for the """""PROFESSIONALS""""":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yet their CPU and/or GPU go into limb mode after a few minutes of stress:):):)
And for you information, professional very much DO need the sustained performance such as 8k raw editing, 3D rendering, CAD, etc
But I guess COURAGE will make up the dropped frames during graphic design work;);)
[doublepost=1530548627][/doublepost]
Throttling on the A11 is well known. Reviewers weren't even able to perform a single run of 3DMark before it throttled.

The iPhone X uses a stacked logic board and the A11 is literally sandwiched between two PCBs. Not great for heat, especially with the glass back.
It's not limited to the A11 at all, the A10 and A9 before them also have catastrophic thermal throttling issues especially on the 4.7 iphone.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
But Apple swears their macbook "PRO" and imac "PRO" are not only for average use but for the """""PROFESSIONALS""""":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
And for you information, professional very much DO need the sustained performance such as 8k raw editing, 3D rendering, CAD, etc
But I guess COURAGE will make up the dropped frames during graphic design work;);)
It's not limited to the A11 at all, the A10 and A9 before them also have catastrophic thermal throttling issues especially on the 4.7 iphone.

How does the MacBook have anything to do with the iPhone ? Or any other post of yours ?

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
208k antutu 7.0.4 on my first run and 206k on my second, consecutive run on my XZP snapdragon 835 platform.
I've been a processor self teaching geek since Pentium 1 proc.
IT really amused me affirmations like A11 made by Apple is the best proc out there, but users don't like to read that in fact A11 is nothing more than a licensed ARM v8a just like Qualcomm 835. And they call it made by Apple same thing for the display în iphone x, made by apple
If you google it a bit, A11 is nothing more than an ARM v8a cortex a75 core, and also if you read carefully, a single core of those 6 can be overclocked to 3,5 GHz, that's why the high scor in geekbench.
However, lacking 8 core big little, no surprise the bad scor in antutu and also the thermal throttling.
This is why in real life snapdragon 835 wipes the floor with A11, even if Sd835 has a73 cortex. Also the same i can say about Sd845 with a75 core which is just a renamed ARM 75 from 73 cortex and a little speed bump and nowhere near a new innovation. They, ARM, just renamed the CPU flag from a73 to a75 and they sell us Bull... T

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011

Source on 3dmark benchmark?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

"Professionals" know how to control their ego and seldom need the CPU maxed out for long periods of time.

Professionals do not depend on a MacBook Pro. Have you ever seen a real professional AutoCad Station? It has little to do with an MacBook Pro.

If you do not like Apple, move on. If you want to run your CPU maxed out for long periods of time you better move to another computer maker as your MBPro is the wrong piece of equipment. I do 3D CAD rendering and and seldom does the CPU have to run full tilt for long periods of time. It must be EGO!

Last edited:

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
208k antutu 7.0.4 on my first run and 206k on my second, consecutive run on my XZP snapdragon 835 platform.
IT really amused me affirmations like A11 made by Apple is the best proc out there, but users don't like to read that in fact A11 is nothing more than a licensed ARM v8a just like Qualcomm 835. And they call it made by Apple same thing for the display în iphone x, made by apple
If you google it a bit, A11 is nothing more than an ARM v8a cortex a75 core, and also if you read carefully, a single core of those 6 can be overclocked to 3,5 GHz, that's why the high scor in geekbench.
However, lacking 8 core big little, no surprise the bad scor in antutu and also the thermal throttling.
This is why in real life snapdragon 835 wipes the floor with A11, even if Sd835 has a73 cortex. Also the same i can say about Sd845 with a75 core which is just a renamed ARM 75 from 73 cortex and a little speed bump and nowhere near a new innovation. They, ARM, just renamed the CPU flag from a73 to a75 and they sell us Bull... T
I don't think you understand how these processors or the licensing works. A11 is not "nothing more than an ARM v8a cortex a75 core". A11 uses ARM architecture, but the SOC design itself is apple's. If you think all apple does is throw in some a75 cores, why dont you do the same and start selling these powerful socs to device manufacturers?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

Umm the 835 isn’t even a basic A75 soc. It’s actually a semi customer one made with Qualcomm. So you’re wrong on both fronts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.