iPhone X Face ID 'Twin Tests' Emerge With Mixed Results

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 31, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Now that the media has had hands-on time with the iPhone X, the new smartphone is being put through its paces in a few areas, including Face ID. Since the iPhone X's new biometric security system has already been at the forefront of much debate and skepticism, most review and hands-on coverage has tried to fool Face ID, including Mashable and Business Insider running a "twin test" to see if one iPhone X unlocks for identical twins.

[​IMG]

Mashable ran its test by asking two different sets of identical twins to try to unlock the iPhone X, first by having one twin register their face in Face ID and confirm it unlocks for them. Then, the second twin held up the iPhone X to their face -- not registered in the device -- to see if they could get into their sibling's iPhone. In both instances of Mashable's twin test, the iPhone X successfully unlocked using the face of the non-registered twin, fooling Face ID completely.
    Interestingly, Business Insider's results contrasted directly with Mashable. In its test, Business Insider first had one twin register his face and then simply try to fool Face ID by wearing a hat, glasses, and a scarf, and Apple's security system unlocked every time. Then, his identical twin brother raised the iPhone X in front of his face, but the device repeatedly failed to open and was apparently able to distinguish between the two brothers.
    It's worth noting that Apple itself admitted that Face ID may not be able to distinguish between identical twins during the iPhone X unveiling on September 12. Phil Schiller said at the time: "The chance that a random person in the population could look at your iPhone X and unlock it with their face is about one in one million. Of course, the statistics are lowered if that person shares a close genetic relationship with you. So, for example, if you happen to have an evil twin, you really need to protect your sensitive data with a passcode."

Face ID also runs using the smartphone's A11 Bionic chip with a built-in neural engine and Apple has said that it will get smarter over time, so in the future more sets of twins might discover that Face ID more accurately tells them apart from their siblings.

Article Link: iPhone X Face ID 'Twin Tests' Emerge With Mixed Results

2. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

3. mellomike macrumors member

mellomike

4. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

Or an evil twin

[​IMG]

5. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

The BI twins look a little different to me, so the X was probably able to pick up on that. I definitely can't tell the Mashable twins apart.

6. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

WHO the **** cares? Your twin is your brother/sister, not a stranger.

7. ACST Suspended

They specifically said in the keynote that FaceID could be unlocked by your evil twin, so this really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

8. Dbolander macrumors newbie

Here’s where having the combination of both Face ID AND Touch ID would be more secure. If the technical hurdles are ever overcome for Touch ID in glass, having both would be more secure than just one biometric sensor.

9. Meistras Suspended

10. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors 6502

H.E. Pennypacker

I can’t even tell the difference between my wife’s identical and her. Who even knows, I might have slept with them both.

11. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Seriously? The majority of people out there do NOT have a twin. This is a non-story.

If everyone is soooo paranoid about Face ID, don’t use it. Apple isn’t holding a gun to anyone’s head. I’m sure we’ll see Touch ID return at some point.

12. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

Well if you happen to have an evil identical twin that wants your phone,use passcode instead of face ID.
    Simple as that.
    Even their parents can’t differentiate between identical twins,what o you expect?

13. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

Great, now Tom Cruise will be able to unlock my iPhone X.

14. err404 macrumors 68020

Hopefully they would know...

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

16. Krayzkat Suspended

Even if your identical twin couldn't unlock your iPhone X with Face ID, they could probably guess your date of birth and enter that as your passcode....

17. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

This is not going to go well with me and my evil twin bother! :eek:

18. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

Sorry, I really think this is poor
    The face id unlocking is the one feature that will be used hundreds of times a day

For me- that’s the biggest unknown. Will be damn frustrating if it doesn’t work flawlessly every time

19. 2010mini macrumors 601

Unless you have a twin stranger
    https://goo.gl/images/pzPqHV

20. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

But...
    But........

The Scramble to make excuses begins ;)

21. ACST Suspended

What excuses, Apple specifically said during the keynote that FaceID isn't for you if you have a twin. They specifically mentioned it.

What's next, a TouchID test with someone who has no fingers?

22. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Why is it that the other twin is always the evil one? If I had a twin, I'd so be the evil one!

23. 2010mini macrumors 601

You failed being evil 101.

Real evil people never think they are evil.

24. ACST Suspended

No it wouldn't be more secure, it would just add another form of security but the total security of the device would stay the exact same, since you wouldn't be using both at the same time. And newsflash 99.7% of the world doesn't have a twin so it's a bit of a non-issue.

They're not gonna add touchID to a phone because 0.3% of the population can't use FaceID, they're just gonna have to use a code.

25. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

You think this is poor for what reason? That an IDENTICAL twin can unlock their twins phone with their face? So what's your concern if you don't have a twin? Oh, you have none because you haven't even used the phone yet. You're just talking out your butt.