iPhone X First Look: Unboxing, Face ID Setup, Gestures, Design and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The iPhone X is here! Apple Stores around the world opened up at 8:00 a.m. local time on November 3 and deliveries kicked off around the same time, getting the iPhone X into the hands of millions of customers today.

We got our hands on an iPhone X this morning and spent the day testing it out to get acquainted with all of the new features. Check out the video below to see a walkthrough of the unboxing process and Face ID setup.

Our video also covers the new Studio Lighting feature available on the iPhone X, plus it goes through all of the new gestures you're going to need to learn to navigate through the iOS 11 operating system. Without a Home button, there's a whole new workflow to learn that can take a couple of days to get used to. Once you've got it down, though, it seems to be a more intuitive navigation experience.

Face ID takes under 30 seconds to set up, so getting the iPhone X up, running, and ready to recognize your face is incredibly fast. Face ID also seems to work quite reliably, and the new Animoji feature that comes alongside Face ID is fun to use.

We're going to be taking a much closer look at the iPhone X and going over every new feature in detail both on MacRumors.com and on YouTube, so stay tuned and make sure to follow our YouTube channel if you don't already.

Article Link: iPhone X First Look: Unboxing, Face ID Setup, Gestures, Design and More

2. Derekeys macrumors regular

Someone please tell me if there is an accessibility option to turn off swipe to go to home screen. I’m very doubtful but I want to see it confirmed!

Wake > look > home screen :)

3. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits

This is not a FIRST LOOK, it's about the 20th!

4. LukasValine macrumors regular

LukasValine

It's weird to see the flashing flood illuminator and dot projector. They look like notification lights on Android. This is the first video review I've seen that shows that.

5. T Coma macrumors 6502

T Coma

6. jiggad369 macrumors regular

jiggad369

Picking mine up soon but having held it in hand, what a beautiful device.

7. anzio macrumors 6502

Absolutely loving mine. Very impressed! I love the fact that it has Band 66 LTE too for Freedom.

8. aloshka macrumors 65816

Why is the keyboard so high up when typing. It’s like more than half the screen is wasted at the bottom. If the keyboard would slide down a could few centimeters, the larger screen would be more useful. Is it a setting?

9. Vegas Actual macrumors newbie

Just got mine up and running, the entire process was effortless and I couldn't be happier with it!

10. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

11. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

Face ID. Totally secure until you need it to be.

12. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

Looking forward to some of the iPhone X technology, like the larger battery, making its way into the iPhone 9 and not costing over $1,000. If they want to add back the 3.5mm audio jack, I won't complain.

13. metalsiren macrumors regular

metalsiren

Nope there is no setting like that. I looked , this would be good in the future for sure
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    Not that I am aware of but yea I think it’s wasted space. I think they might have done it because of how tall the device and and how low you might be typing but who knows.

14. Telomar macrumors 6502

It’s actually annoyingly tricky to just point at someone else’s face and have it open. My wife has tried quite a few times, each time ended requiring a passcode.

15. JayCar macrumors newbie

JayCar

You won't see that in "real life". Video cameras will pick up the IR light emitted. You can see an example of this by taking a standard remote control to any device and aiming it directly and a camera recording video. Its just that the cameras pick up the IR spectrum that isn't normally visible to the human eye.

I imagine this is going to throw many folks off while watching videos of the phone, that are unaware of this.

16. drunifex macrumors member

got screwed by apples website on launch day. Didn't open for 15 mins and my delivery is now in December. Order went in 20mins after official opening time. Annoying thing is if I ordered today i would get it quicker. People ordered the same phone as me after me are already getting deliveries. If I don't get better news by Monday on my delivery prediction im cancelling my order. Sick of Apple at this point.

17. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

How is it even possible that Macrumors wasn’t granted a demo device, or at least invited to the YouTuber round? That’s gotta hurt. MR needs to start looking for moles.

But a good, clear review. Thanks.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    Same. But I ended up with two delivery orders and one for pick up at a store 2000 miles away I visited once six years ago to buy an iPad mini.

First week of December delivery now that I’ve gotten things straightened out. I don’t expect that my excitement upon arrival will be diminished in the slightest because some people got theirs before me.

18. mdorais macrumors member

It's funny how many reviewers emphasize how quick Face ID is to set up. If it took a minute instead of 30 seconds, would it matter if it's something that you really only do once in awhile? I don't even remember the last time I set up Touch ID on my phone.

19. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

Note quite Note 8 tall.

20. jazz1, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

Wow! I ordered mine a week ago from ATT. Thinking shipment mid December. We shall see. Hope your iphone comes sooner.

21. Russell L macrumors regular

Russell L

As someone who uses my iPhone both with and without glasses, I’m curious whether Face ID will work either way. Also, is there a way to quickly bypass Face ID and get to the passcode screen? I know there will be times when my spouse (who knows my passcode) would need to use my phone, and it would be a hassle if I had to unlock it with Face ID first.

22. macford macrumors member

macford

Have to say I'm very pleasantly surprised with how much I like the X. I drove by a Verizon store this morning after dropping off the kids at school and there were only a few people in line so I stopped just to see if I could get one. I was lucky enough to snag one of the few 256 gb they had in stock. I'm on the Verizon upgrade program so I figured what the heck and picked one up. Have been playing with it a lot today. The Face ID works very smooth. The only time I had trouble with it was when one of my friends tried to get it to work and it failed too many times so I had to enter my passcode and then everything was back to normal. I've had the Plus for the past few years and the larger screen in a smaller form factor is nice. It does definitely take a while to retrain yourself from not hitting the home button. I keep mashing my thumb down and double tapping, etc from many years of learned behavior. But I'll get there. Overall it's a very, very nice phone.

23. djalice macrumors member

djalice

Got mine delivered today which was amazing as they said 10th Nov. Was rushing to get out so set it up in a rush but no problems. Can't wait to have some quality time with it tomorrow!

24. vegetassj4 macrumors regular

vegetassj4

It’s the first next look

25. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have had my iPhone X about 1 hour now and thus far, I am impressed. Face ID is fast. I like it even more with 1Password. As to the new gestures, they haven't really been a problem per se, but I have caught myself a few times reflexively trying the home button. Gotta love muscle memory. :)