iPhone X iPhone X Flakegate? iPhone X Space Grey Finish Flaking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by booksbooks, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Relentless Power, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Because those phones are mishandled and abused thousands of times a week and not Docked properly when the customer Is through handling it to charge. I can tell you those phones are not indicative of everybody else's experience who actually take care of their devices outside a demo phone.

2. TimFL1 macrumors regular

TimFL1

Do you guys have rings? My launch day SG X still looks brand new after I wipe off the fingerprints. No case, not really taking care of it either (tight pockets, sometimes in a pocket with keys or zipper openings, its being slid on and off various surfaces cause thats the way I pick my phone up).
    Can‘t even make out microscratches on the back or front (although hard to tell cause of fingerprints).

3. geoffjam78 macrumors newbie

geoffjam78

No
    I have a wedding ring on, but my phone has been in an otterbox defender since day one. The one thing I can say is that even on day one of getting the phone, I noticed the paint was not applied well and I saw silver showing through out of the box. Phones were so limited in supply at the time and since I was going to put a case on anyway...I didn’t think much of it. But now it’s ridiculous.

4. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

It's not paint guys. It's a particulate that's applied with the PVD process. Apple hasn't provided more information on what material it is. PVD applied materials shouldn't flake like paint. They should be bonded to the metal and wear off much like plating does.

Obviously, there's been some manufacturing defects with Apple's process....but we've only seen a few here, so they're likely quite rare (considering there's thousands of us on here that bought the SG X).

5. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

My launch day SG is absolutely perfect, and by perfect I mean PERFECT. No scratches on the SS band but I am carful not to catch it on zippers etc when putting it in/out of my pockets.

Some people say they look after their phone perfectly, but their version of perfect might be very different to the next person.

6. geoffjam78 macrumors newbie

geoffjam78

So am I. It’s been in an otterbox case, from the box to the case. It truly is a mystery and obviously a defect. I’ll update Wednesday night after my Genius appointment

7. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I would imagine that the SS band being pressed up against the sealed case with temps constantly changing from warm to cold etc, it has slightly bonded to the case casing the issue you had.

EDIT: I see from your previous post you saw some signs of this out of the box. Clearly a defect which has been exacerbated by the case. Just get it switched.

8. geoffjam78 macrumors newbie

geoffjam78

That was one of my first thoughts as well. But my friend has the same phone with the same case and his is just fine, and I would also think there would be so many more threads about OtterBox case causing issues but I don’t see any at all. I really think there’s just a few one off’s that have this issue

9. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

After writing my last post I became paranoid so I took off my Apple leather case to check mine over again haha. God the phone looks good without a case!

10. geoffjam78 macrumors newbie

geoffjam78

It truly does… Hopefully when I get my replacement on Wednesday perhaps I will just leave the case off of it as well

11. newellj macrumors 603

Certainly true. Be careful, though. I keep mine on mute/vibrate and the X would wander around on our kitchen island top as emails and messages were received. I got worried that it was going to vibrate right off the top onto the floor. :eek: :D I'm not joking - I put the case back on it.

12. Relentless Power, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Much like a firearms process, physical vapor deposition is used as a protective thin coating that is a more of how a process is applied for corrosion resistance and wear resistance. But does not have the hardness that diamond like carbon does. DLC is more of a protective paint. Some tend to conflate the two.

13. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Have to disagree with you there. DLC is simply the particulate used on the PVD coating that has been applied to the space black apple watch. It still uses the PVD process (though, likely the newer chemical bond process).

14. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Let me try explaining again, but I believe we are agreeing in different terms:

DLC is a form of PVD coating. PVD is the process in which DLC is applied. Another way to think of it it is PVD is the actual process of applying and DLC is physical paint that is a higher protectant. DLC is harder and wears better that most if not all other types of PVD coatings, which is why I used firearms being a prime example of this earlier.

Just to clarify, DLC is not a PVD coating. It's simply the deposit on the actual product. DLC is deposited on the work piece through Direct Ion Beam Deposition. PVD and DLC refer to very different things. PVD is a process and DLC is a coating material to summarize.

15. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Again...you shouldn't be using the word "paint" in this conversation...it isn't appropriate. We're talking about particulates that are bonded to a substrate (in this case the substrate being stainless steel). We don't actually know what particulates Apple is using for the iPhone X.

Your two paragraphs contradict each other.

I wasn't familiar with DIBD...after a bit of reading, I see this is an alternative method of applying thin coatings. (an alternative to PVD...though one could say it's still a type of PVD). DLC can actually be applied with either method (as DLC is the particulate....not a process).

I can't help but wonder if DIBD and Electron Beam PVD aren't actually the same process, but differing terms...

16. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Agree to disagree. It is appropriate in the sense of how I'm trying to interpret this is based on what DLC actually is versus applied intricately to various parts versus applied to the actual process. If you don't agree with my wording or interpretation, your post is not going to influence me otherwise, so perhaps move on from that particular argument.

The segment of actually how hard DLC is compared to PVD in the overall durability, DLC wins in that section based on its stronger coating, which even in the watch industry.

No. I'm not even referring to the space gray steel iPhone X Bands or Black stainless Apple Watch. , I'm talking about the actual DLC versus PVD process That could apply to firearm components, medical supplies, automotive parts, etc. There is no one size fits all for every application process between the two. It's Simply the application that apply differently to both processes based on the actual composition and material that the coatings are subjected too.

Truthfully think we're on two different terms here and we're not comparing the same alternatives in the processes of how directly they apply through the SIBD and electron beam. For Example, I can tell you with certainty, One firearm manufacture might apply PVD differently than how Apple applies there PVD process for the space gray iPhone X bands. There is no way to definitely know exactly what you're talking about versus my own narrative without actually seeing how many different processes there are.

17. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

You're muddying the waters by comparing DLC to PVD. DLC is a particulate that could be applied with a number of processes (of which PVD is one). We don't know what particulate Apple uses on the iPhone X. We know the particulate that they use for the space black watch is DLC as they've stated such.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Bolded above. Again, I reiterated to you multiple times that's not what I'm even splitting between the two different processes and how their applied intermittently between different products. So in the sense of rehashing the same things over again, perhaps this is a discussion where I agree to disagree with you based on your own assertions. Time to move on, as You're branching your own tangents.

19. abardsley macrumors newbie

abardsley

Update on my issue:
    Short Version - They replaced it under warranty, but it had to be SG. I wasn't able to change to the silver.

Long Version -I went into the Apple Store. One of the sales guys talked to the manager and he decided it was a warranty issue and they put me in the 4-hr cue for the Genius Bar. When I went back, everyone that looked at it said they have never seen this before... I just told them to Google it, as there are a good handful of us out there. I brought the case I was using and showed receipts for my glass protector and case, showing the dates align with the phone purchase. They said that normally they wouldn't cover cosmetic problems, but since this looks like a manufacturing defect and everything else is pristine, they'd swap it out. Another 3 hours setting it back up (I have 60GB of music), and I'm back to a shiny new phone. I had to buy a new glass protector since that was unusable and just in case, bought a different case...

20. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

I bought my X back on Nov 20. Plan was to keep it...sell my 8+. Well, I'm just glad I didn't sell the 8+, on Friday I noticed a few "bubbles" near the charging port, bottom right corner..to me it looked like early signs of this flaking.

Now I've had an Apple silicone, and leather case on this since day 1 on 11/20. After seeing this, all I can say is thank god for the extended Holiday return policy that was in place. I ended up returning the X for a full refund on Saturday. Now I'm back to the 8+

It stinks! I liked the X, the gestures..how it felt in my hand but after dropping $1K plus on this and then seeing early signs of this flake issue, forget it.

21. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

If you liked it, why not buy a silver one after you returned the SG? No flaking with the silver.

22. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

I thought about it, and I'll see since the X is now widely available anytime I want - unlike when I bought it less than 2 months ago (just 1 in stock at the time..for the first time in 10 days)

But right now..as time is quickly passing, I just might wait until Sept. when a new XS, XS-Plus (whatever it might be called) will come out.

23. germaocruz macrumors member

germaocruz

24. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

Are you for real? CLEARLY this is a phone that is not well taken care of. You can see a huge gouge out of the lower part of the phone. ANYTHING you own and treat like that will look that bad. Saying it's Apple's fault is ridiculous.

25. geoffjam78 macrumors newbie

geoffjam78

Update to my previous post:

Just like Abardsley, I was given a replacement with the same SG. The biggest difference I noticed right away with the new phone is the finish is pristine and perfect at all ports and buttons. Like I said in my previous post, I noticed imperfections with the finish immediately but didn’t return it because there was no replacements available at the time. So hopefully this second time around will be much better. But just like above, the Apple manager had never seen this before but definitely told me that this was not caused by me but was a defect… So I felt better about that .