Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akhildh12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Got my iphone X yesterday and it is heating when i’m playing videos and using apps. I updated the version to iOS 11.1 but it dint work. Will this issue resolve with update. The phone heat is medium.

Reactions: leewing

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I noticed it running hot while playing YouTube videos last night. Seems better today, but still a little warm. Hopefully it’ll resolve once everything gets optimized and updated.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Got my iphone X yesterday and it is heating when i’m playing videos and using apps. I updated the version to iOS 11.1 but it dint work. Will this issue resolve with update. The phone heat is medium.

Sometimes phones can get warm when you set them up during initialization process. And if you're using it for more intensive applications or playing Videos, it can warm up, and it's not abnormal.

S3ISOR

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
Mine is definitely getting noticeably warm playing YouTube videos which is really odd. My 7+ and older iPhones never got hot doing non-intensive takes like this. I’m hoping it’s just a software problem with the YouTube app or IOS specific to the X and not an underlying problem with heat management.

akhildh12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Update:
I ran antutu on my iphone x and the phone got really hot within 15-20 seconds. I guess i have to get it replaced.

Reactions: leewing

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015

Mine too runs hot lot of ppl having this so i guess it’s not normal. This iPhone is made differently in terms of how parts are laid inside the casing that could be the reason I guess.

Fightondan

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
Mine too. Heats up like crazy while watching YouTube vids. Never experienced this on previous iPhones.
[doublepost=1509959294][/doublepost]
Mine too. Heats up like crazy while watching YouTube vids. Never experienced this on previous iPhones.

Just installed update for YouTube. I think it fixed the issue.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
Well first of all, the previous YouTube update was terrible. It heated up my 7 Plus and X like crazy and drained the battery quickly, so that was all on YouTube.

On the other hand, the X does get warmer than my 7 Plus and 5S. Basically the moment you start using it, the X doesn't feel cold anymore. Maybe it has to do with the stainless steel band that gets warm quicker or because of the huge battery in the small phone. Either way, I think this is a X thing, not a specific hardware issue.

Reactions: Infrared

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
How are you getting on now? Has this settled down? I'd be curious to know.
Four days in, my battery drains fairly quickly in use.
This morning, I took it off the wireless charger and it was cool. Within ten mins of just using WhatsApp. Messages, Safari and Twitter and nothing intensive, it was really warm and down to 96%.
It's been like this the last few days and I can't quite work out why it is still like this. It should be fully indexed now.
Called Apple who suggested taking it into a store and swapping it out. But without a genius appointment, there is a 60-90 min wait time, so I'd rather not unless I have to. Has anyone else experienced this and has it improved?
I restored from an iPhone 8 Plus backup. I'd really rather not wipe and set up as new and lose everything unless essential.

DJ_Rosko

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2016
South Boston, MA USA
Mine is definitely getting noticeably warm playing YouTube videos which is really odd. My 7+ and older iPhones never got hot doing non-intensive takes like this. I’m hoping it’s just a software problem with the YouTube app or IOS specific to the X and not an underlying problem with heat management.
So glad I just saw this. Watched a doc on YouTube app and the phone was BURNING up. Seems like the app not safari Youtube

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
My iPhone X got pretty hot on a 37 minute FaceTime call and it’s gotten hot while watching YouTube vids as well.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
How are you getting on now? Has this settled down? I'd be curious to know.
Four days in, my battery drains fairly quickly in use.
This morning, I took it off the wireless charger and it was cool. Within ten mins of just using WhatsApp. Messages, Safari and Twitter and nothing intensive, it was really warm and down to 96%.
It's been like this the last few days and I can't quite work out why it is still like this. It should be fully indexed now.
Called Apple who suggested taking it into a store and swapping it out. But without a genius appointment, there is a 60-90 min wait time, so I'd rather not unless I have to. Has anyone else experienced this and has it improved?
I restored from an iPhone 8 Plus backup. I'd really rather not wipe and set up as new and lose everything unless essential.
If you are syncing with iCloud, what do you need to restore from a backup? Aside from logging into my third party email account, I found it painless to set up as new.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Mine gets hot watching YouTube videos as well. I was watching durability tests on iPhone X yesterday and just thought my phone was getting anxious and nervous over me watching it’s friends get destroyed.

Remember though glass is an awful insulator. It will let heat or cold pass through it easily. Even worse than aluminum.

Reactions: DJ_Rosko

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
If you are syncing with iCloud, what do you need to restore from a backup? Aside from logging into my third party email account, I found it painless to set up as new.
Because you lose all of your messages. I have two years of both sentimental messages and also important work stuff. Apple doesn't let you selectively set up as new phone but import old messages

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Always have used my iPhones at full brightness and the X gets warm the quickest. Like a minute in of doing anything and it’s warm. A case has helped me notice it less.

mb-hh

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
I had the same problems. It was very hot. Even when listening to music, it became unreasonably hot in my pocket. I saw on youtube a video in which it was also mentioned to the end .
I send my iPhone X back. :-((

DJ_Rosko

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2016
South Boston, MA USA
Mine gets hot watching YouTube videos as well. I was watching durability tests on iPhone X yesterday and just thought my phone was getting anxious and nervous over me watching it’s friends get destroyed.
Remember though glass is an awful insulator. It will let heat or cold pass through it easily. Even worse than aluminum.

It does seem to be the YouTube app for me.

So I watched a bunch of YouTube videos last night from like 52% in low power mode probably for about 70 minutes and change. iPX was hot and at 10% when I was done. The battery went from 10-9-8% to nothing in about 4 min flat even after closing the YouTube app. Gonna try to delete and reinstall to see what develops.

Out of curiosity, what factory did everyone’s come out of. Mine came from Chengdu. (Serial # begins with DN)

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
It does seem to be the YouTube app for me.

So I watched a bunch of YouTube videos last night from like 52% in low power mode probably for about 70 minutes and change. iPX was hot and at 10% when I was done. The battery went from 10-9-8% to nothing in about 4 min flat even after closing the YouTube app. Gonna try to delete and reinstall to see what develops.

Out of curiosity, what factory did everyone’s come out of. Mine came from Chengdu. (Serial # begins with DN)

My serial # starts with C3

Reactions: DJ_Rosko

tripleh3lix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
If anyone has ANY issues with heat. This will solve the problem for a while. Shut down your phone for 45 minutes to an hour and stick in a cold place. Such as an open window, in front of an AC, etc. or even outside in a bag for a few.

I did this and no longer have the extreme heat issue I had. I think everything in the phone was still setting. Says my phone is 2 weeks old on my coconut battery through Mac. So very well could be glue drying or the phone just needing a “complete” rest for a few.

DJ_Rosko

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2016
South Boston, MA USA
If anyone has ANY issues with heat. This will solve the problem for a while. Shut down your phone for 45 minutes to an hour and stick in a cold place. Such as an open window, in front of an AC, etc. or even outside in a bag for a few.

I did this and no longer have the extreme heat issue I had. I think everything in the phone was still setting. Says my phone is 2 weeks old on my coconut battery through Mac. So very well could be glue drying or the phone just needing a “complete” rest for a few.
Will try for sure. I work outside with my phone in a pocket. I’ll see how that develops with YouTube. Planning on making a movie in iMovie today and it’s cold as the arctic here in Boston today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.