iPhone 11 Iphone X --> Iphone 11 . Crazy?

nepats81

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Im curious as to your thoughts on this.

Im considering selling off my Iphone X, and getting an Iphone 11. I will not go for the Pro, as its too expensive of an upgrade, I would rather save my money for a bigger upgrade next year.

The #1 reason I'm thinking of going from the X to the 11 is battery life. I just am unsure of the downgrade in display.

It seems to me if i sell my X on swappa, i can get a good price and the upgrade cost to the 11 would not be too much.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something?

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
Debating doing something similar myself

Worse display, but bigger battery, larger screen, newer phone, wide lens and more storage

I fully intend to upgrade next year, whereas the next 12 months i can get the above benefits for £40 a month in IUP, trade in 12 months time if I really like what they show off

Liberal

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
Connecticut

Im considering selling off my Iphone X, and getting an Iphone 11. I will not go for the Pro, as its too expensive of an upgrade, I would rather save my money for a bigger upgrade next year.

The #1 reason I'm thinking of going from the X to the 11 is battery life. I just am unsure of the downgrade in display.

It seems to me if i sell my X on swappa, i can get a good price and the upgrade cost to the 11 would not be too much.

Well, if you're crazy then I'm absolutely insane. I'm turning in my XS Max for an 11. For a few reasons:
  • More manageable size (not really applicable in your example)
  • Better color, as I grew to absolutely hate the gold color I got
  • Better camera array, in my opinion (wide & ultra wide on the 11 vs. wide & telephoto (which I never used) on the XS Max)
  • Better selfie camera
  • Faster/better FaceID
  • Better processor
  • Much better battery than the XS Max
  • Saving $23 per month on my IUP payment
My only concern is OLED vs. LCD, but I doubt I'll even notice and if I do, I'll get used to it.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two

It's your money, you have the right to spend it any way you desire.

Soliciting strangers opinions on how to use your money is what is crazy to me. I don't ask other people how to spend my own money and I certainly do not invite them into any of my spending decisions.

What if we all tell you, yes, you are crazy? Will that influence your decision? Will you say to yourself, "the internet doesn't think I should do this so I am going to listen to them?"

Or do you make your own decisions?

Asking for advice or reviews or such related things is different. You aren't asking for an opinion about WHAT you want to do in that.

So, I think you are crazy for asking if this is crazy. I make my own decisions and whatever anyone else thinks of that is their own freakin' problem, not mine. It's my money.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
If you guys notice a difference in display it will be temporary. My XS Max next to my wife’s XR, they both look great. It might show a difference in a movie with HDR but day to day you will be happy.

nepats81

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
It's your money, you have the right to spend it any way you desire.

Soliciting strangers opinions on how to use your money is what is crazy to me. I don't ask other people how to spend my own money and I certainly do not invite them into any of my spending decisions.

What if we all tell you, yes, you are crazy? Will that influence your decision? Will you say to yourself, "the internet doesn't think I should do this so I am going to listen to them?"

Or do you make your own decisions?

Asking for advice or reviews or such related things is different. You aren't asking for an opinion about WHAT you want to do in that.

So, I think you are crazy for asking if this is crazy. I make my own decisions.

People like you will never get it.

I spend my life living in the real world . You on the other hand get satisfaction from insulting people on the internet.

Maybe take a walk and get some fresh air. The world is beautiful. Don’t be consumed by your negativity.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Obviously, you missed the point :)
Anyway, my X is perfectly fine, I will wait for another year. No reason to upgrade yet.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011

I spend my life living in the real world . You on the other hand get satisfaction from insulting people on the internet.

Maybe take a walk and get some fresh air. The world is beautiful. Don’t be consumed by your negativity.
I'm not being negative. I am pointing out that I do not need a consensus from faceless people on the internet to make a decision, nor do I need to know what people will think of a decision of mine before I make it.

I do live in the real world and that is why I hold this value.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
As long as you are able to justify your purchase, nothing is wrong. We had a fair share of users “upgrading” from the X to XR last year, some loved it, some said it wasn’t, at the end of the day, it all depends if you spend your time scrutinizing the screen or enjoy using it as it is

Reactions: macbookguy

zkap

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2019
You shouldn’t switch if all of these apply:
- you can tell the difference between LCD and OLED (I can’t)
- that difference bothers you
- the difference in quality of the displays outweighs everything else (battery life, camera, size etc.)

So I guess it’s not about whether it’s crazy, but which features you value most.

unknownx

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
I'm going from X to 11.. Bought the product-red one.

I can live with the LCD screen, but will be harder to adjust to the bigger bezels imo..

But i still consider this an upgrade than a downgrade, considering what i get vs what i lose

zkap

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2019
I'm not being negative. I am pointing out that I do not need a consensus from faceless people on the internet to make a decision, nor do I need to know what people will think of a decision of mine before I make it.

What’s the point of a forum, then?

I think there’s a difference between asking someone to make a decision for you, and asking them for their perspective. When I make a purchasing decision, I take my time with it, browse the internet for reviews and experiences, weigh the pros and cons multiple times and I take into account everything I’ve seen or read. That is how I landed on the iPad Pro 2017 instead of the iPad Pro 2018 or iPad Air 3. That is how I landed on the XR instead of the X or 8. I made all of those decisions myself and I weighed them up for a considerable amount of time, but those possibly (likely) would have been different decisions had I not watched or read anything from other people who have used these devices and have actual experience with them.

mrklaw

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2008

OP didn’t say they needed consensus from faceless people - they were just soliciting opinions which can help to provide context to aid a decision.

OP - i’m Doing the same this year. X resale value just about hanging on, and battery health is solid - if I wait a year it’s likely to drop below 90% which will hit resale values accordingly. Right now i’ll Often finish the day on <10% battery and the 11 will help a lot with that. Also better camera.

I don’t really care about OLED (was the only option with X) so i’m Comfortable with the non-pro phones as long as they don’t cripple them too much

Bacong

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan

why would you be crazy to want to upgrade though? why? I've seen threads in the past few days asking if they were "sick" for wanting to upgrade, whether or not their sexuality could be questioned based on the color of the phone they ordered, etc.

Buying a phone doesn't make you crazy. Wanting to upgrade doesn't either. It's the hyperbole he's replying to.

Reactions: wba1990

ales876

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2016
Munich
Same here, I wanted the green one. I also like the idea of having a bigger display. And yes, like everybody im somehow "concerned" regarding the display, but the benefits win.

Reactions: kcroyal

nepats81

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
why would you be crazy to want to upgrade though? why? I've seen threads in the past few days asking if they were "sick" for wanting to upgrade, whether or not their sexuality could be questioned based on the color of the phone they ordered, etc.

Buying a phone doesn't make you crazy. Wanting to upgrade doesn't either. It's the hyperbole he's replying to.
I didn’t realize hyperbole was so offensive.

I can assure you that I don’t ACTUALLY think I’m crazy. I am simply double checking my thought process , as it’s VERY easy to get caught up in apple’s marketing .

I am no tech expert. I realize some of you are and probably can’t comprehend that some people check to see what Apple is up to 1x a year.
[doublepost=1568565166][/doublepost]
OP didn’t say they needed consensus from faceless people - they were just soliciting opinions which can help to provide context to aid a decision.

OP - i’m Doing the same this year. X resale value just about hanging on, and battery health is solid - if I wait a year it’s likely to drop below 90% which will hit resale values accordingly. Right now i’ll Often finish the day on <10% battery and the 11 will help a lot with that. Also better camera.

I don’t really care about OLED (was the only option with X) so i’m Comfortable with the non-pro phones as long as they don’t cripple them too much
This is a great point. I’m in the same boat as you. I guess I’ll just pop into the Apple store and look at the XR display vs the XS.

But yeah if I can get decent resale before my battery tanks then it sounds like it could be the right thing to do.

Liberal

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
Connecticut

I can assure you that I don’t ACTUALLY think I’m crazy. I am simply double checking my thought process , as it’s VERY easy to get caught up in apple’s marketing .

I am no tech expert. I realize some of you are and probably can’t comprehend that some people check to see what Apple is up to 1x a year.
Hyperbole is the life source of MacRumors pedants.

macbookguy

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

this is what I did. Going from a 256 Space Gray X to a 128 Product (Red) 11. I just couldn’t justify the cost again, even with the OLED. Also preferred the color options on the 11. I keep hoping one day OLED will be standard top to bottom for Apple like they are for just about everyone else.

Reactions: JRoDDz

sneeks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
I went into a local store and compared the XR screen side by side with the XS and I honestly struggled to see any difference that made one better over the other. I too am considering upgrading from my X to a 11 and forgetting about the 11 Pro. I’ll buy on the IUP here in the U.K. and if next year I’m impressed with the new iPhone I’ll upgrade to that. Buying the 11 saves me £16 per month and also gives me 128gb rather than sticking with only 64gb.

Reactions: swandy

JohnApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2014
I too am going from the X to the 11.

Up until last Thursday evening, I was 100% set on an 11 Pro Max. Wouldn’t even consider downgrading from an OLED to LCD.

But then I went into the Apple store and compared the XS Max and XR side by side.

The difference was so minimal that after a few minutes of playing around with both, I had completely changed my opinion and opted for the 11.

Sure, the 11 Pro displays will be even brighter than the XS, but I couldn’t pull the trigger this time. $500 more for a little bit bigger and higher quality screen?

Don’t get me wrong- there’s nothing wrong with opting for the 11 Pro displays. If I had more disposable income, I’d do it in a heartbeat. But for me personally, the spec differences did not equate to the price difference.

Apple actually downsold me by having the two phones on display next to each other lol. Maybe next year with the super cycle I’ll go all out.

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California

Not crazy at all. If they had 512 GB and the blue from the XR, I would have considered it, but I want 512GB, because I have over 300 GB of music on my phone.

Reactions: nepats81

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
What’s the point of a forum, then?

I think there’s a difference between asking someone to make a decision for you, and asking them for their perspective. When I make a purchasing decision, I take my time with it, browse the internet for reviews and experiences, weigh the pros and cons multiple times and I take into account everything I’ve seen or read. That is how I landed on the iPad Pro 2017 instead of the iPad Pro 2018 or iPad Air 3. That is how I landed on the XR instead of the X or 8. I made all of those decisions myself and I weighed them up for a considerable amount of time, but those possibly (likely) would have been different decisions had I not watched or read anything from other people who have used these devices and have actual experience with them.

OP titles this thread as "Iphone X --> Iphone 11 . Crazy?".

That is asking for an opinion about OP's mental state of health in thinking or considering going from an iPhone X to an iPhone 11.

OP is therefore asking for an opinion about whether he/she is crazy or not to do this.

If that is hyperbole, than OP did not mention it.

There is a difference between gathering facts and perspectives and yes, that's what a forum is for.

But soliciting an opinion about your mental health is something different entirely - even if it's un-stated hyperbole (Am I or other users supposed to read OP's mind about that?)

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I too am going from the X to the 11.

Up until last Thursday evening, I was 100% set on an 11 Pro Max. Wouldn’t even consider downgrading from an OLED to LCD.

But then I went into the Apple store and compared the XS Max and XR side by side.

The difference was so minimal that after a few minutes of playing around with both, I had completely changed my opinion and opted for the 11.

Sure, the 11 Pro displays will be even brighter than the XS, but I couldn’t pull the trigger this time. $500 more for a little bit bigger and higher quality screen?

Don’t get me wrong- there’s nothing wrong with opting for the 11 Pro displays. If I had more disposable income, I’d do it in a heartbeat. But for me personally, the spec differences did not equate to the price difference.

Apple actually downsold me by having the two phones on display next to each other lol. Maybe next year with the super cycle I’ll go all out.
Were you able to compare how they looked in 'Dark Mode'? I'm considering the same thing as well. My X is almost out of storage space. A 256 gig pro is a lot to spend for modest improvement. A 128 gig would give me more storage, the same cameras I have now, upgraded internals and a bigger screen. I thought I saw some people say the dark mode on a non OLED screen doesn't look as good. But it's not like I would be using it side by side and knew what i was mising.

jsmith1

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010

That is the smartest choice! Keep your money for anything else