iPhone X Outpaces iPhone 8 Series in First Weekend Adoption

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A new study suggests the iPhone X recorded a higher adoption rate than the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus over each device's first three days of availability.

[​IMG]

After the first weekend of sales, the device is estimated to have captured nearly one percent market share among all iPhone models, the highest over that time since the iPhone 5s, according to mobile engagement platform Localytics.

[​IMG]

By comparison, Localytics measured iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus adoption of 0.3 percent and 0.4 percent respectively among all iPhone models after the first weekend of sales for those devices back in September.

The data suggests that many customers may have been waiting for the iPhone X instead of purchasing an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus.

It's important to note that the data does not represent actual sales of the iPhone X, but rather measures users who have received the devices and started using one of the 37,000 apps integrated with the Localytics SDK.

[​IMG]

It's also important to consider that there are significantly more iPhones in the market today than in previous years, so each new iPhone has a tougher challenge of gaining market share among all of the models before it.

Even if the adoption data from Localytics doesn't precisely line up with Apple's internal sales figures, the company's revenue guidance of between $84 billion and $87 billion in the current quarter does imply significant iPhone X sales, so there's a good chance the device is outpacing the iPhone 8 series.

Apple stopped releasing first weekend iPhone sales figures starting with the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, as demand typically outweighs supply, so the company feels it is no longer a representative metric for investors or customers.
    Apple has also never released iPhone sales figures on a model-by-model basis, but chief executive Tim Cook did reveal the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus were its best-selling models between their September release and iPhone X launch day.

iPhone X orders placed today ship in an estimated 3-4 weeks around the world, and the device also has limited in-store availability.

Article Link: iPhone X Outpaces iPhone 8 Series in First Weekend Adoption

2. zhang96 macrumors member

Didn't Tim say iPhone 8 Plus is the best selling model of all times?
    If this is the case then the iPhone X becomes the best selling iPhone in three days?

3. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

4. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

5. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

6. fokmik macrumors 68000

sadly Apple could not have over 13mil iphone x to surpass iphone 6/6s

7. busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

Well what did you expect after all the hype? The real question is what kind of cut is Ming-Chi Kuo getting? There's no way that guys not on Apple payroll.

8. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Well, yeah!

8 and 8plus were a flop (adoption wise)

9. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Well, duh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

iPhone 6SSS eeh 8 was a pathetic stopgap cashgrab even by Cook's "standards".

10. cbobb123 macrumors member

Well who wants an 8 with its 3 year recycled design...

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Are there really that many 5C out there?

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

And well deserved. I rarely buy on day one (actually never), and I never really praise products, but this thing is just incredible.

13. alent1234 macrumors 603

I guess I'm looking at a different chart. Like the one that shows it tying with the 5S in the first weekend of adoption and lower than every other model except the 8/8+

14. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

That’s weird. I thought Apple was doomed because 8 series sales were slow and the X wouldn’t make up for that because it was too expensive? It’s almost like comments on here are just goofy guesses. ‍♂️

15. felixroqu3 macrumors regular

felixroqu3

16. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I like how the 4” phones are still 10-12% of their recorded data despite being given very little love by Apple. If Apple would update the SE seriously then I bet that would grow. I like the X and my coworker has one so I got to see it live today. I just don’t see any reason to move from the SE to it.

17. TimeSquareDesi macrumors 6502

TimeSquareDesi

hmmmm, spend a grand on a phone now that i will use for 2+ years or wait 2 months for a phone with the latest tech that i will use for 2 years....?

common sense.

18. Nick A macrumors regular

“It's also important to consider that there are significantly more iPhones in the market today than in previous years, so each new iPhone has a tougher challenge of gaining market share among all of the models before it.”

Yeah also when you charge consumers $1150 + tax for a phone (64gb is a joke) you are not going to sell nearly as many as offering it for a fair price.

19. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

I'm already so tired of the television ads. Ugh. Apple runs ads for it. Carriers run as for it...

20. tillsbury macrumors 65816

The chart doesn't compare first weekend adoption, it compares models actively used right now. The X already has the same number of active users as people who still use a 5S.

21. Ries macrumors 68000

Well, here is the thing, water isn't wet. The definition of wet is being soaked in a liquid. Water is water, when water touches something that is not water, the thing that the water touches becomes wet. So keep your fake news buddy.

22. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Probably record returns compared to the 8/Plus too...

23. JPack macrumors 68000

JPack

The 4" market is probably determined by price rather than choice. There are more 5s users than SE, even though SE is newer and better. It suggest consumers are choosing 4" due to price-sensitivity rather than love for the form factor.

• 5S: 6.43%
    • SE: 4.91%

Normally, there are more users of newer phones rather than old ones.

• 6: 16.77%
    • 6S: 18.58%
    • 7: 19.74%

24. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

I'm sort of surprised that the iPhone 8 with 0.7% (both sizes combined) is pretty close to the iPhone X with 0.93%.

It seems the iPhone 8 faired better on the 1st weekend than most thought.

25. rizzo41999 macrumors 6502

rizzo41999

Apple knew the 8 would flop. This was all part of the plan