iPhone X Owners Complain About Keyboard's 'Wasted Space'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 6, 2017.

1. C DM macrumors Westmere

Or they actually do use them and understand more of the nuances:

2. ackmondual, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

I can see the merits of both camps...
    A) Some folks like to do stuff with the extra space
    B) It's nice having nothing else there, as to better isolate the spacebar key, and home button/gesture area, as they are 2 important and commonly used elements

Perhaps an iOS update that gave users the option to toggle which one that like could be in order?

That said, I'm still amused how the keyboard in alphabet mode/view couldn't fit in an extra row for numbers, and find a way to squeeze just 1 key to either side... one for ',', and another for '.'. 2 commonly used characters in typing. It took a while for me to get used to using comma, period, and numbers without switching to "number mode/view" on my phone, but it was a nice change.

3. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

If Apple tested this and determined it would interfere with reachability/home button use then I doubt they would make the choice available.

4. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Idiot on twitter is presented with a keyboard with letter keys only. No numbers, no punctuation. And a bit of "free space". Says free space could be used for emojis. Doesn't just have this idiotic thought, wants to share it with the world. Emojis are nice, sure, but if there's some free space (that's arguable), how about adding number keys and some punctuation, before the smiley faces.

5. SSDGUY macrumors 6502

Ugh … not sure I like where all this touch/swipe stuff is headed. The intuitive convenience of a tactile home button to use Siri while not looking at the the phone is gonna be missed, at least by me. Seems like this move is taking away the one remaining bit of simplicity from the device.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Siri is till invoked with a button, just a side button now. Not sure how that's really any different, if not potentially even simpler in a slight way (and that's in addition to being able to simply invoke it by just saying "Hey Siri").

7. SSDGUY macrumors 6502

Ahh… didn't know about the side button activation on the X. (I prefer manual activation over "hey Siri")

8. Berzerker7 macrumors member

Sorry it would seem reading comprehension is not your strong suit, but I was referring to the uninformed reader I was replying to.

9. myurkus macrumors newbie

As mentioned in the article, I think it makes sense for an ergonomic factor for the keyboard to be a little higher and to leave some space to make swiping - home more visible/intuitive. As a solution, why not put The Notch down there instead of at the top? Think about it: it will take up that empty space and as a bonus, sliding up on The Notch can be an obvious "home slide"

You still will need to keep the speaker slit at the top (to use as a phone handset), and maybe you can squeeze in the camera at the top, but I'm sure apple can figure that out.

Thoughts?

Edit: If The Notch were a permanent fixture at the bottom, you don't even need to "swipe up" to go home, you can just tap on it! Consider it a virtual button!

10. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

11. Applemaniac7 macrumors member

It' really lame that considering he size of the screen, there's no permanent top row of numbers.