iPhone X Owners Complain About Keyboard's 'Wasted Space'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 6, 2017.

1. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

well I would be ok with the position of the actual keyboard buttons, but for example it would be nice to have a scrollable emoji bar like on the macbook touchbar, or several buttons for different languages, and the emoji menu available.. or heck - even a row with numbers from 0-9- it is a significant amount of wasted space.. IMG_0001.jpg

2. Duckys macrumors newbie

3D Touch and fleshlights for 1k. That’s a steal. Best part is avoiding the sketchy parts of town.

3. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

rofl :D sorrrreeeey for the typo

4. Nilhum macrumors regular

Nilhum

It would be more beneficial for you to work on your OCD than worry about a some waste of space on the iPhone keyboard layout. I don’t mean this in any offensive way.

5. Tech198 macrumors G4

Its a resting place. The frequently used stuff would be good because the X had more space for these.

6. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Apple would have to figure out what to do with the extra space and not interfere with the bar..

7. SHKLMRE macrumors 6502

The space underneath is perfect for me. When a keyboard appears, the space bar is where my thumb naturally hovers when I hold my phone making for a very comfortable typing experience.

8. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Tbqh I thought I would hate it more when I initially learned about the keyboard but that hate never materialized. I barely even noticed tbqh...

9. KingslayerG5 macrumors 6502a

KingslayerG5

I'm indifferent with it because onscreen home buttons on Android would do the same thing. Ones with a capacitive home button would technically have more space. By 2014, almost every Android OEM with the exception of Samsung went onscreen.

I also use SwiftKey on both platforms. Used it on Android since 2013 when it became available for free. It's getting better on iOS but still way below Android's..

iOS' SwiftKey: Not enough themes. Can't resize it. Can't put the numbers key on top of the letters. Harder to find emojis. No emoji predictions. Can't use animated gifs like on Android's.

I could never go back to the default keyboard from Apple just like I don't use Google's. I'm forced to use them only for when I set up or the occasional log-in. I prefer SwiftKey's prediction system.

If people are already programmed to use iMessages since 2011, I'm programmed to use SwiftKey for both platforms. It's one of my early third-party apps to download next to Dasher and Chase after setting any phone up.

The space waste doesn't bother me. You don't want accidental swipe ups below the space bar. Happens sometimes on Android with the onscreen home button below it.

10. ke-iron macrumors 6502a

Sorry but I don’t want anything more there. I think it’s fine like that. I type comfortable right now in the current form.

11. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I agree it makes it easier to type, with my thumbs more central to the screen. I do wish I can place the row of numbers there now with the extra space.

12. VictorTango777 macrumors newbie

With iOS 11, iPad users can finally type numbers without switching keyboards. Why can't we have the same for iPhone?

13. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

Now that is a great idea!!!

14. Nozuka macrumors 68000

i would like copy, paste buttons, like on the ipad. makes it faster to use.

15. odedia macrumors 65816

I love this feature! Always wanted some space from the bottom section on my iPhone 6S+, with the bezeless iphone it would have been even worse. Very hard to type so close to the edge.

16. batchtaster macrumors 65816

If spacing - something easily fixed with a software update - is the worst people can come up with for this device, then they've really run out of actual problems.

17. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Yea really- i completely get the placing the the keyboard itself. But some additional buttons wouldn’t just look better but also make it more useful!

18. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

That predictive text coming back to haunt you!! :D

XIII

19. daniesy macrumors member

daniesy

Sometimes i get the feeling that Apple engineers don't actually use iPhones. They might be on Android or who knows...Windows phones? I mean come on, iOS 11 is full of unused space and it makes the experience worse. The iPhone X has lots of wasted space under the keyboard (they could have added text suggestions there). On older devices, those big headings in native apps make the actual content height smaller. :(

20. RoyLeban macrumors newbie

RoyLeban

The lower keyboard position is absolutely for usability reasons. Puzzazz has its own custom keyboard, so we had to decide what to do when we were updating the app for iPhone X. We concluded that Apple was right to raise it up because it is too hard to type when the keyboard is right at the bottom.

We did do one thing differently. When somebody is using our TouchWrite handwriting recognition and only the cursor keys and/or puzzle function buttons are shown, we lower them to provide more screen real estate to the puzzle. This works well because those cursor keys and buttons are used very differently than a text keyboard. And, of course, when no keyboard, cursor keys, or function buttons are shown at all, the puzzle takes the whole screen.

21. Phonephreak macrumors regular

Phonephreak

Commenting on an article you admit to not reading.:rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    I was just reading this and turned down the volume. Dead center of screen blocked.

22. ras752000 macrumors newbie

ras752000

23. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

Came from a plus. I have small hands so the smaller keyboard has worked out great for me.

24. hugo7 macrumors regular

Yep.

Maybe it's keyboard background color extending all the way to the bottom which gives the impression of wasted space. Maybe if the home indicator was notched out in black (like its brethren up top), there would be less confusion (and annoyance) /s

25. curtvaughan macrumors regular

curtvaughan

Actually, this is feedback - the initial variety.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    When, exactly, does one cross the complaining threshold that constitutes "whining like girls"? Perhaps any girls or women voicing complaints on this forum could help inform us in that regard. I see on a daily basis at least as many women as men using iPhones, so the "whining like girls" trait must be readily apparent. I need to be more observant.