iPhone X Owners Complain About Keyboard's 'Wasted Space'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 6, 2017.

1. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

How would adding emojis be any less waste of space???

Add something useful like common punctuation.

2. izyreal macrumors regular

I would really appreciate access to numbers on the first level of the iphone keypad. Maybe move everything down and put a row of numbers at the top?

3. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Jesus Christ. Some people are never happy with anything!!!!

James

4. ClaytonK macrumors member

Playing with an X in the store it kind of seemed the whole OS leaves that area blank. That seems necessary to avoid accidental home button interaction. However it also makes the huge screen seem less useful, except in special scenarios like using landscape mode.

5. ToM7 macrumors 6502

ToM7

hahahahaha

6. CristianM macrumors member

CristianM

So between the notch and this keyboard problem which will affect every app, users won't get much more space vs older iPhones will they? Not to mention Apple's poor design in iMessage with that big profile image at the top.

7. Baymowe335 macrumors 65816

And absolutely destroying earnings estimates despite being doomed for this minor stuff.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2017 ---
    Yes, Apple is doomed and the X is a flop bc the keyboard isn’t perfect on the 3rd day of release.

8. 6803390 Suspended

It’s a first gen iPhone - Face ID, no home button, and silly notch. I do not see any difference with any Apple first gen device, not quite good. However, I am glad with the beta testers and hope it may continue with next year until Apple perfects it. I am very grateful. At the same, I am quite annoyed that you encourage Apple to charge £1000 for that!

9. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

Wait, based on this screen shot ... are you able to use the dictation button with a 3rd party keyboard???

10. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

"we want a BIGGER screen!"

Gets bigger screen.

"there's too much s p a c e !"

11. fs454 macrumors 68000

This. Everyone suddenly is a professional designer now and thinks they know better than Apple. For UI, just trust them. They're working it out, and they literally invented the device.

Same goes for the Home Indicator and those complaining that it should be removed. From the typical user on these forums' perspective of course it should, but not everyone is a power user and ready for that yet. It's there to transition every user, whether they're computer literate or not, to this new interface. Apple is undoubtedly on a similar path, but they're not going to remove it three days in. It'll marinate this UI change for a year and then maybe introduce the option to lose it, if they ever do.

Both the indicator and the keyboard space are there to enforce new interface paradigms for both users and developers: the space down there is sensitive. Use it with caution.

Apple knows what they're doing. They're not always perfect, but they know what they're doing in the long run.

12. chfilm, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

chfilm macrumors 65832

chfilm

I just got my X... awesome device, face ID works like a charme and the overall design is simply amazing abd so beautiful!
    But who on earth was responsible for the software layout of the keyboard with this useless empty space underneath it in EVERY app???

One of the most integral parts of the OS looks like it was just such an afterthought...
    If at least they would have used the space for more buttons for emojs and languages separately from each other, instead you still have to dial through it all with one button on the bottom left and the rest of the space is just dead.
    I wish they had moved the whole keyboard lower, it feels SO odd.
    Anybody else thinks that this is one of the weirdest parts of the iphone x? Hopefully they come up with ab better solution in IOS 12....

The one other thing that bothers me is the 3d touch for the flashlight on lockscreen and does anybody know if/how you can fullscreen youtube videos in the app? Pinch to zoom doesnt work for me.

13. Kmart9419 macrumors regular

Probably had a virtual home button there until Apple decided to have it removed.

14. chfilm macrumors 65832

chfilm

I really hope they will change this in the future, this cant stand as the default design..I actually have for example zero problem with the notch, in fact I like how it looks. But this waste of space??

15. tigertazz macrumors 6502

tigertazz

I like the analogy. This is XI with XII next year.

16. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The space is there to make the keyboard comfortable to use.

17. Dayv macrumors 6502

Considering how much it annoys me to try to open the control center on my 6s while in any application that has a keyboard up, or otherwise has interactive elements all the way to the edge, I think Apple made the right call here.

18. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

Exactly this. Would be so difficult to type properly of the keyboard went all the way to the bottom.

19. gtg465x macrumors regular

gtg465x

Space is not wasted. Your thumbs actually fall naturally where the keyboard is now when holding it with both hands ready to type. If the keyboard was all the way at the bottom, I think typing would be more awkward. Maybe they could just make it an option so both sides can be pleased.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

21. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

22. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

23. jstephens1 macrumors newbie

24. sumiregusa macrumors regular

sumiregusa

Yep agreed. I love the new keyboard and I'm glad things like emoji and dictation are easier to select now that they are on their own row. It's made a huge difference.