Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung Display will supply Apple with between 180 and 200 million flexible OLED displays for the iPhone in 2018, up from an estimated 50 million this year, according to The Korea Herald's sister publication The Investor.

While the report focuses on the iPhone X, it's likely that a portion of the OLED displays will go towards the "iPhone X Plus" rumored to launch alongside the second-generation iPhone X in the second half of 2018.

iphone-x-plus-idrop.jpg
iPhone X Plus mockup by Benjamin Geskin via iDrop News

Like the Galaxy Note 8, the iPhone X Plus is expected to have a 6.4-inch display, but its overall physical size will likely be closer to an iPhone 8 Plus. Meanwhile, the next iPhone X will likely retain its 5.8-inch display.

With both a full year of iPhone X sales and the addition of the iPhone X Plus to the lineup in 2018, Apple will undoubtedly need many more OLED displays, so today's report about Samsung quadrupling its production next year makes sense. Samsung could reportedly gain an extra $22 billion in revenue from the orders.

The report also claims Samsung has achieved around a 90 percent yield rate, compared to around 60 percent earlier this year, meaning it is getting more efficient at making OLED displays that live up to Apple's strict quality standards. This could lead to improved shipping estimates for next year's launch.

The new iPhone X and iPhone X Plus will likely launch around the usual timeframe of September to October, potentially alongside a new 6.1-inch mid-range model with an LCD display that is predicted to start at around $649 to $749.

There's no word on how much the iPhone X Plus could cost yet, but given the iPhone X starts at $999, the larger version should have a four-digit price tag. Apple charges a $100 premium for other Plus-sized iPhones, so it's possible the iPhone X Plus could start at around $1,099, but it's too early to say.

Apple is likely to remain dependent on Samsung for supply of OLED displays next year, but the company is reportedly investing billions into LG building OLED display production lines dedicated to the iPhone by 2019.

Article Link: iPhone X Plus Should Lead Apple to Significantly Increase OLED Display Orders Next Year

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
This is what I've been hoping to see since when iPhone X was still in development. An upgrade from 6s -> X Plus would be nice, but I worry it'll cost as much as a cheap car.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I am happy with the current size of the X, but it will definitely be tempting if they differentiate the Plus with some added features. I wish they would have the exact same feature set in both. I am not sure I want a phone bigger than the X anymore.

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
the fact that APPLE made all PLUS owners downsize really sucked! so i'm hoping this is really happening next Sept. when new iPhones are released. X now is great but the Plus size will be magnificent!

Apple didn't make me downsize.... I didn't fall for all the hype and upgraded to an 8 Plus. Next year, again I'll buy the phone I want as opposed to the one everyone tells me I should buy.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Very happy with my regular 8. I'll be jumping on an OLED version probably in a few years.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
Apple didn't make me downsize.... I didn't fall for all the hype and upgraded to an 8 Plus. Next year, again I'll buy the phone I want as opposed to the one everyone tells me I should buy.

Exactly. I went with the 8 Plus this time and will decide next year which phone to go with. I have the next 10 months to decide if I want to stick with the Plus size. I came from a 6s and while I really like the Plus there are times I wish it was a bit smaller (working out at gym). At least I have time now to think about it and make a good decision if the X plus comes to fruition.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
the fact that APPLE made all PLUS owners downsize really sucked! so i'm hoping this is really happening next Sept. when new iPhones are released. X now is great but the Plus size will be magnificent!

How did Apple make you do that? Did Tim Cook and Jonny Ive personally come to your home, tie you down to a chair so they could search your place to remove your iPhone and leave you an X?

Or did you make the decision to move to an X yourself? Don't blame others for your own decisions.

GlennFisher

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
Fort Lauderdale, FL
How is from 5.7" to 5.8" a downsize? Plus will be great, agreed!
i hear ya. i mean the size of the plus was a really nice phone. i get its same in all in all. i just like the bigger plus size more screen etc. its a debate that ppl will see glass half full / half empty. still same size screen i just like the bigger plus models. and with the new X Plus looks to be a lot more real estate space, so we'll see ... i hear ya though

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Exactly. I went with the 8 Plus this time and will decide next year which phone to go with. I have the next 10 months to decide if I want to stick with the Plus size. I came from a 6s and while I like the plus there are times I wish it was a bit smaller. At least I have time now to think about in and make a good decision if the X plus comes to fruition.

Don't get me wrong, I sometimes wish it was smaller too. However, that's not because someone has tried to programme me into hating bezels etc. I'd rather the sensibly-aspect-ratio'd Plus screen than the current X, and I'd rather have a top and bottom bezel than the ugly notch. TBH when I tried the X, the most disappointing things were the screen aspect ratio and those damn curved corners... I mean, they're just change for the sake of change.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014

I’m a plus owner, had all the plus phones, and the truth is I don’t feel like I downsized. The screen looks and feel just as big because the difference in screen size is minimal.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I will see how I'll feel about it. Im enjoying the size of the X and feel the 5.8 inches is a very good size.

BUT, I may get sucked in by the 6.4 inch OLED...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.