iPhone X iPhone X popping noise

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Yeah, the same way you're applying pressure to opposite corners of the phone in your video. That's not exhibiting regular use.

Just have the Genius Bar tighten those two screws, and it should no longer make that sound.

2. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Genius bar had it for 20 mins, said the glue isnt properly on, and ill be called when a replacement comes in.

3. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

I hate when they say things like that. They should investigate....

4. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

They wouldn't know that unless the display was removed, which I can guarantee they did not do. I'd ask them to tighten those screws when you pick up your replacement, just to see what happens. I've seen this issue a few times and that ended up being the culprit.

5. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Arden mall? I go there...lol....not anymore now.

6. pdxmatts, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

Wouldn't you rather have a perfect replacement than to have them mess with the screws and trying to repair a one day old phone? OP you should just get the new phone and be on your way. No way would I ask them to try and tighten the screws. Don't mess things up. ;)

7. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

If the new one does it ill ask them to tighten the screws.

But I remember reading the 100+ iPhone 7+ popping, creaking threads. iPhone X though and not one person but me has this issue. (so far)

8. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

For screw tightening, I'm fine with keeping the unit. I wouldn't be OK with any repairs this early into ownership though.

If I wiggle a connected Lightning cable front to back, I get a noticeable popping sound. I'm going to tighten the screws tomorrow to see if that resolves the issue.

9. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Just for the heck of it I tried tightening them. My tool can easily remove and tighten the iphone 7 screw but its not making the X budge. Bummer. Ill wait until they call me

10. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Both the 7 and X should require the same pentalobe for the screws. I'll report back tomorrow regarding my lightning port creaking.

11. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

Wow trippy, I live here. Also I passed by that mall last night at about 12AM and saw a handful of people lined up outside.

12. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah I was shocked. I hope it’s tomorrow but I can wait a week or so.

Updated with 2 videos to show how loud it is just by tapping the screen..
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bui5kfyji4594bz/IMG_1987.MOV?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tncj68am9sx1ng5/IMG_1988.mov?dl=0
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    check my new videos

13. camhabib macrumors regular

Saw this and checked mine. It makes an every so slight sound when you bend it opposing corner, nothing nearly as bad as yours or anything I'd return it over, but wondering if anyone else does to?

14. TheSteves macrumors member

TheSteves

no white box, return, buy new, or don't buy again

15. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Check my two videos above and see if yours does it

16. chadmclark macrumors member

chadmclark

Thanks for the thread. If I press on the screen anywhere it’s totally silent. There’s a bit on the back, near the Apple logo, but more apparent if I squeeze the phone like you did - not as loud though. My guess, based on location, is the wireless coil.

Not sure if I want to play the lottery though; I went through who knows how many iPhone 7’s ... clicking screen, mushy or uneven buttons, scratches, uneven backlight, ugh. And then with the X, we have green lines, crackingly speakers, and who knows what else.

It kinda sucks that there’s that gamble, and I know all too well, if you get one that’s good it’s a miracle, really! Other than this one issue mine is perfect - can’t say I’ve ever had a screen this flawless from Apple

17. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Not a gamble. Every display phone at Apple and Best Buy don’t pop like mine.

I actually emailed Tim Cook and received a call a day later. They told me to power down the phone immediately. They are sending me a new retail box phone later this week. And I’m shipping mine back in this big box they sent.

18. chadmclark macrumors member

chadmclark

Called TMO; they’re sending out a brand new unit and I’ll send back old creaky when I get the new one (shipping this week so not bad all in all). Will let you all know how the new one behaves

19. chadmclark macrumors member

chadmclark

That doesn’t work here for the back plate, which is where the noise is coming from - I tried it anyways no dice. New one is rock solid; TMO is taking back my creaky unit.

20. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lucky! Was it retail box? Im waiting for mine. UPS says it should be delivered tomorrow. Coming from China.

21. chadmclark macrumors member

chadmclark

Was curious when yours would arrive; tomorrow would be a great way to start the weekend!

I called TMO Monday and had it delivered yesterday; full new retail replacement. Seems like the carriers have stock in the states and in the case of TMO they were fast!! Showed Nov 17-27 but next day said shipped (14th)

Hope yours is fixed too ... much happier for sur

22. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

How'd you get T mobile to send you one? Did they put a hold on your CC until you shipped yours back?

Can you hear any popping even when you bend the corners?

23. chadmclark macrumors member

chadmclark

I didn’t try bending the corners; squeezing it though is totally silent, don’t wanna go OCD crazy lol!

TMO just opened a new jump finance on the new one and will refund the first one when it arrives (I just sent UPS today)

24. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

Well add me to the list of slight popping!

I heard mine for the first time the other evening while I was cleaning my screen with a micro fiber cloth while the house was complete silent.

It's not as bad as the OP's, it's coming from the top right corner. It's annoying at best, but this is what happens with mass produced items that have glass glued together.

Going to Apple tonight and I'll see what they say. Most likely that they have no stock and blah blah blah...just so not in the mood.

25. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Good luck. They kept saying normal. AppleCare was horrible. Took an email to Tim Cook to get it sorted. got my replacement retail box phone yesterday with NO clicks.