iPhone X iPhone X popping noise

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Nov 3, 2017.

1. chadmclark macrumors member

chadmclark

If you are within the return period you could buy another and just return this one to a different store; sounds lame but it might be better than trying to deal with Apple!

2. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

So visited Apple today and met with someone at the Genius Bar.

I gotta say, I like apple and their products and even most of the workers are just cool people.

The tech played with my phone, of course it was loud in there, and yes he kind of absorbed what I was saying and showing to him. And after him speaking to a manager I had 2 choices. White box it and get a replacement, don't want...or completely return the phone and than order another one as they have no stock.

Honesty at that moment I just wanted to return the phone, buy an 8plus and just call it a day.

I'm on the iPhone upgrade program, so a return is a real pita!

Long story short the tech was like listen man, you can try 2 phones right now if you want and take your chances that way, or just live with it for now.

I'm just gonna forget the whole thing and move forward. I hate being such an anal lunatic with my things sometimes, I mean it's a faint click and not anywhere near what some people are posting, but if it gets that way I'll take a chance and white box it, hopefully stays as is and that's that until next year.

Either way, it's annoying that they have no brand new retail units for issues like this, and even more annoying that's it's something I got dealt. But that's life and I have many more things to be worried about and even more importantly, so many things to just be thankful for.

3. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lemme ask, can you ONLY hear the click in a pitch quiet room ?

4. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

Yes. I honesty didn't even notice it until a few days after I had it and I was cleaning the screen in my house with no wifey or dog home.

I mean it's minor in the grand scheme of things. If I squeeze now with the house quite you can hear it, if I clean the screen with a micro fiber in that corner you'll hear it. But in a normal to loud environment you won't hear a thing. More annoying that anything.

5. chadmclark macrumors member

chadmclark

Good luck! If you opt to return it and just buy another, check istocknow.com ... real-time stock of Apple stores

6. Suffa macrumors member

Have a crackling noise as well on my iPhone X when you press down slighty in the opposite corners and sometimes middle of the screen. I didn’t try and replicate it, I heard it one day when I was locking the phone and naturally squeezed it a tiny bit. What is this ****?

If I walk into an Apple Store, will they give me a new phone or how does that work? Don’t really wanna give my brand new phone in for repairs, kind of want a new one.

7. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

This is a good one...Funny thing happened!

My phone out of nowhere tonight just stopped working and along with that small pop went goodbye my iPhone X. A quick trip to apple and they deemed it a hardware issue and on the spot they replaced it with a brand new phone. No BS, no going back and fourth, manager came right over and said give this man a new phone...lol. Anyway no pops on the new one, let's hope it stays that way and keeps powering one...

8. Suffa macrumors member

Would they replace or repair my new phone? What you think?

9. Wackery macrumors 6502a

what is it exactly? haptic feedback gone mad, or the screen popping in and out?
    I'm too afraid to squeeze my iphone to check.

#popgate

10. Suffa macrumors member

11. Suffa macrumors member

Tried on a new device, same thing. If you squeeze the display lightly (it’s not like I’m trying to bend the ***** phone) in opposite corners, does it not make a single sound? Mine is like the structure of the phone adjusts a tiny tiny bit making a small crackling noise. You need to be in a quiet room to hear it. I know it’s silly but seriously why would it make a sound at all? My big ass iPad with a huge screen is rock solid, doesn’t make a single noise when I press it anywhere.

12. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

I have both, the “Bloatware” is blown out of proportion, As an Apple fanboy I have come to realize that the new Samsung’s are giving Apple a run for their money. Not the Android of old anymore.

13. Cogsworth macrumors 6502

Cogsworth

Mine is making the exact same noise. Noticed it when I took it out of the case for a cleaning. Super annoying, going to take it to the Apple Store.

14. Iphonethenickel macrumors newbie

Iphonethenickel

To me the noise seems to originate from the rear housing. Just above the Apple logo. I wonder if it’s the wireless charging coil. My screen seems sturdy with no give anywhere I press.

15. Cogsworth macrumors 6502

Cogsworth

Mine makes the noise both around the logo, and if you squeeze or apply pressure to the sides along the bottom third of the phone. I agree, in the grand scheme of things it's not really a big deal. Probably wouldn't cause issues down the road. But it is disappointing that a flagship phone, at this price point, would have a creaky housing.

16. Iphonethenickel macrumors newbie

Iphonethenickel

Agreed. For $1200 or whatnot it should be extremely solid.

17. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

I have a slight popping noise too when pressing near top of screen. The phone itself works great though with no physical defects.

I’m on att next every year anyway, where I upgrade to a new iPhone every year . Not going through the hassle of going to the Apple store, unless it’s actually for a issue that prevents me from using my phone for what I normally use it for every single day.

18. Cogsworth macrumors 6502

Cogsworth

Just to follow up, I took mine into the Apple Store today. I explained to the Genius dude about the creaking/popping noise and how I've had lots of iPhones but never had one that did this. Since it was super noisy, he took it in the back to see if he could replicate the noise. He came back and said yep, he was able to hear it and then swapped it out on the spot. He said with issues like that it's most likely the screen or failure of the internal adhesive. The new phone is solid with no popping or creaking (yet). I realize it's not a huge deal, didn't affect the phone's functionality at all, but I still feel better getting it replaced with a solid phone.

19. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

I gotta say...I'm getting a little fed up with Apple at the moment. I'm usually good with stuff like this, but when I get into 1,2,3 and now a 4th replacement, I begin to get annoyed.

1st- Had the creek, however that turned out to be a non event as the phone just died after using it for 3 weeks. Complete flatline with a black screen and Apple was not able to turn it back on so they replaced it.

2nd- Was great...no creeks, no outer cosmetic issues, and a nice white screen. Turns out it had a blue tooth issue and wouldn't connect to my car, 2 Hard re-sets, and trying any other phone with it connecting led me back to Apple for a 3 replacement.

3rd- Side of the phone where the screen connects to the housing felt like sand paper, an issue that down the line could wreck havoc as the screen wasn't sitting properly in the housing.

4th and current- Phone was fine the last 2 days, screen is white, non cosmetic issues, everything looked to be fine and than tonight the pop or creek or whatever we would call it is here on this phone. I gotta say this has to be an adhesive issue that rears it's ugly head oncd the phone begins getting heated from use and charging, honestly I'm effin pissed!!! I don't want to rant, but come on Apple, this is an almost $1,500 phone and when all is said and done this is a problem that shouldn't exist...sorry but I'm not a happy customer right now.

I may not go for round 5...I may just speak to a manager tomorrow and return the X and grab an 8plus and call it a year.

Not to mention nobody can get my belkin glass screen protector on with out a single fingerprint smudge, just annoyed from every angle as I really do like the phone!

20. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

welcome to my life :/

21. dougrus macrumors newbie

Hey, do you need to repurchase the protector each time the phone is replaced? I just got a notification that they got my replacement and I was wondering what I should expect in terms of the screen protector that was purchased and is applied in the store.

Also, when I went to the store about the creaking sound, same as the pop or click when squeezed, I was told that although it was audible it wasn't exchangeable under warranty. My exchange instead was for an issue with the screen itself (green tint on lower half).

22. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

I mean yea they should replace the screen protector as long as it's a Belkin screen protector that you bought in store. The problem with the screen protectors is that they are done by anyone in the store. Over the last 2 years I've noticed that there was an area designated to just screen protectors and set up, now basically any employee can do the instal and I've gotten a horrible job done the last 2 times. It's annoying because you don't want to be that customer that seems crazy, but I'm sorry I'm paying $42 for a screen protector, it better be perfect and not have any smudges, finger prints, or dust under the screen.

23. appleincognito macrumors regular

Mine does this. Only occurs when I squeeze it or take off the case. Anything to worry about?

24. Iphonethenickel macrumors newbie

Iphonethenickel

I don't believe so. Though mine has gotten progressively worse over the past couple of weeks. Apple told me it was bad adhesive on the back beforei plan to swap it out when I can get back to the store.

25. JerryKnows macrumors newbie

JerryKnows

--- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2018 ---
    Yes. I’ve had this issue since iPhone 6,6s,7,8 and now X...... can’t blame the “glue” because the 6 and 6s didn’t have any glue/adherents. I hear it on both my X’s. Different colors. From all the repairs I’ve done with every Apple product, seems like an inner component such as front earpiece or front camera housing being disturbed by movement and sounding like the clicking and squeaking we hear. When the entire screen is removed, the sound is not there. When seated back in the body, it returns. I’d say it’s too many components in tact and combination of the screen in the structured frame. That’s probably why we hear it when twisting it or pressing in certain areas of the body. The only glue that is used is a high UV bonding agent only for the screen bezel, not the adhesive strips along the frame. Glue or no glue, this noise will still be present. I just tried my dads X while writing this and yes, same thing. Slightly squeezing the top or twisting it WILL make some audible noises. There’s over 500 micro components in an iPhone. It bound to happen in everything.