iPhone X Production Faces Further Delays, Will Start in Mid-October

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Final production on the iPhone X has yet to start, even though Apple will begin taking orders for the device in just over a month. Raymond James chip analyst Christopher Caso conducted supply chain checks this morning and then shared what he learned about Apple's production schedule in an investor's note obtained by Barron's.

According to Caso, while there were already production delays affecting the iPhone X, further delays have occurred recently. He says production is set to start in mid-October, later than earlier predictions. With additional delays, full production ramp up will be delayed into the December quarter.

[​IMG]
    We've already known the iPhone X is going to be severely constrained, but hints of further delays suggest supplies could be more restricted than originally thought.

With the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus seemingly not garnering as much interest from customers as previous smartphones launched in fall, it seems there could be quite a lot of Apple fans who are holding out for the iPhone X.

It could be months before Apple has adequate supply to meet demand for the $999 device. Reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, for example, has said it could take well into 2018 for Apple to fill all orders.

The iPhone X will be available for pre-order on October 27, with the device to officially launch on November 3. Pre-orders will undoubtedly sell out rapidly so all but the luckiest customers may need to wait for several weeks to get their hands on one of the new flagship devices.

The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, launching this Friday, should be readily available at retail stores around the world.

Article Link: iPhone X Production Faces Further Delays, Will Start in Mid-October

2. macTW Suspended

I’m glad my 7plus is handling iOS 11 well. With these delays, the iPhone X basically is the 2018 release!

3. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Damn...might as well not get my hopes up for getting one by November 3rd! But I will try!

4. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

5. akfgpuppet macrumors regular

akfgpuppet

They should have skipped releasing the 8/8+ so they can put all of their efforts into the X. A lot of people seemed to skip the iPhone 8 and are waiting on the X.

6. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

The chaos on pre order night will be a sight to behold

7. Asarien macrumors 6502

8. ricktat macrumors 65816

I hope this is true so I feel better about myself.

Sorry to the millions of others

selfish thoughts

9. MadeMyDay, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  10. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

These things are going to go for a fortune on eBay

11. applebreed macrumors member

applebreed

My guess...unless you order that night, you're looking at 6 to 7 weeks until order arrives. I'd like this but I only buy the unlocked versions, so I have to wait even longer.

12. jdillings macrumors 68000

13. Spaceboy88 macrumors member

Spaceboy88

What does Ming Chi Kuo say? He's pretty much the only one I trust when it comes to supply chain.

14. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

15. Larry-K macrumors 68000

That's going to make it hard for me to give these out for Halloween.

16. jmgregory1 macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    Apple is going to get hammered by orders for the X and there will be a lot of people waiting for months for the new X to arrive, if I had to bet money on it right now. My guess is we'll only start to see availability open up mid to late February or maybe even March 2018, if they get better yields on the constrained components.

17. alexgowers macrumors 65816

I'm going to get an iPhone x but I suspect the delays and supply will be so bad at launch pretty much no one will have one until next year. Such a shame, I feel like a company with 250billion in the bank shouldn't have these issues. Considering apple sets the release date it's disappointing to say the least.

18. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

19. applebreed macrumors member

applebreed

I plan on buying this, but the unlocked version, so maybe like a 1% chance I get it in 2017.

20. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

This is gonna be a tough wait... I prepare myself for a nice christmas present. :)

21. Ds6778 macrumors 6502a

Ds6778

22. ricktat macrumors 65816

Looks like they knew what they were doing.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    2017 or 2018?

23. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Time it comes out the next iPhone will come out lol

24. ronincse macrumors 6502

ronincse

They haven't even STARTED production yet?! This can't be real, I thought they typically started production like months in advance?!

25. Appurushido macrumors regular

Apple saw what worked with Nintendo's NES Classic and Switch. I'm sure they are taking a page form them. Set a limit on what they want to sell and then artificially create a shortage on the device so it can sell like hot cakes.