iPhone X production

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spooner83, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Spooner83 macrumors 6502

Spooner83

How many units do you think have been made? Apparently, less than 10K units a day are being made, so if there's 10k a day from now until oct 27 pre-order, that's only 460 units. So, when did they start producing these?? Is there any source that has a good estimate of how many units have been made so far?

2. apwtwenty macrumors 6502

apwtwenty

man, around 450k, that doesn't sound good at all

:-o
    :-o

i hope, for everyone who is pre-ordering, that it is more :-O
    :/ :/

3. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

They really need to have ramped up to at least 100,000 per day by the end of September. That would give 3 million across October and at least give them a chance to fulfil orders before the end of the year.

4. Spooner83 thread starter macrumors 6502

Spooner83

This has to be correct or else they wouldnt even attempt to sell it. You have a good point :)

5. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

How many units is "good enough to buy without having to line up"?

6. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

One billion.

7. MCube74 macrumors 65816

Its not like Apple just started to make the iPhone X. I am sure before the Apple announcement, they must have made about 400K pcs or more. They probably want to increase their supply for a strong launch. Also probably want to cash in as much as possible with the iPhone 8 / 8 Plus.

We are making too much about the delay. It was expected because Apple wants good sales.

I had read somewhere that the China Factory had shipped stock of iPhone X to Apple last month. So Apple has stock to even have a soft launch on 22nd Sept.

8. Geert76 macrumors 68000

the iPhone X pre order on Oct 27th is gonna be one big mess.
    First worldwide pre order, instead of the earlier pre orders in waves. And then also the fact it's Apple first oled iPhone ever.
    Add these 2 details up (plus the fact that there is just a very low production of the X model, about 10k units a day) , and you can almost be sure that if you dont have your pre order succesful within 10 seconds, you will have probally shipping times of at least 10 to 14 weeks.
    I would expect around 15 million people around the world trying to get their pre order in, at the EXACT sime time....imagine the Apple website traffic and AppleStore app trafic; 15.000.000 people in a few seconds (or 1 to 3 minutes )

This is gonna be just like the pre orders of JetBlack iPhone (that was not even a worldwide pre order like now, and that JetBlack had shipping times of about 10 to 12 weeks in some countries) and AirPods all over again (maybe even worse).

Well at least if you hopefully get your iPhone X somewehere in january/february next year, you can enjoy the iPhone X for about 7 or 8 months before Apple announces the new 2018 (oled) iPhone in September ;)

9. Baseball Mike macrumors regular

Baseball Mike

Why are they doing a WW release when it's a challenge to make already? Seems shortsighted but Tim is the supply chain guy /s. People all over the globe won't be happy the X is pushed back weeks or even months.

The 27th is going to be a bloodbath

10. MCube74 macrumors 65816

I have planned my pre-order differently this time.

I will be renewing my iPhone 7 Plus contract with my service provider. I am not getting the iPhone 8Plus with a contract plan but will get the iPhone X with a contract, so my chances of getting the iPhone X is alot more higher than getting it from the Apple Store. I am a Priority Customer so I get higher chance of getting the phone when I pre-order through my service provider.

I believe the telecom companies will get higher priority for stock. Apple has the iPhone 8 / 8+ for their store and some limited stock of iPhone X to hype the product.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    Wasn't it a worldwide pre-order last year, too.

It really doesn't matter as this is all to create hype. They more the shortage the more the demand and more buzz in the market. I doubt people have to wait so long for the iPhone X because Apple could have released the phone in December or early next year if they didn't think they can have a strong launch.

11. Geert76, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

Geert76 macrumors 68000

Nope, last year pre orders were in waves. Just like the years before

12. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

Who wants to bet that Apple planned on a later release to screw up everyone's 12 or 24 month cycle and you end up paying two more payments this year then two more payments next year when they get back to mid September launch? $$$

13. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Can someone be serious about how much really needs to be in stock to really not be a problem to pick up on launch day without lining up? 10k units a day, let's do the math... would it be enough?

14. Geert76 macrumors 68000

again, with a first worldwide iPhone pre order + the well known shortage and slow production of oled screens for the iPhone X, you really have to tget your pre order in within 3 to 5 seconds.

I am almost sure on the 27th of October at 00.01hrs there will be around 15.000.000 people from all around the world (this is a real low estimation for a worldwide pre order people around the world hammering the F5 key or refreshing the Apple Store App like there's no tomorrow ;)
    And hopefully Apple can handle all that (web/app)traffic of that 15.000.000 customers

15. MCube74 macrumors 65816

I suppose by the time the IPhone X preorder starts, Apple should have about 1.5 million pcs in stock to ship out. That can't be so bad right?

16. Geert76 macrumors 68000

oh yeah, they will probally have even more then the 1.5 million you mentioned. Maybe they will even have 5 to 7 million units ready for pre order and direct shipment within a week. But what about the other 8.000.000 to 10.000.000 people during pre order, around the world?? ;)

17. MCube74 macrumors 65816

We don't know how many units were produced before the Apple announcement. May be some news will be leaked soon.

18. MCube74 macrumors 65816

Today we will get a good idea on how the demand or IPhone 8 or 8 Plus is. If we can order the phones easily then we are in trouble for the IPhone X. If today's supply runs out fast then there is good chance that people want the iPhone 8 more so we have nothing to worry.

Many people are willing to spend US $1400 for the IPhone X with Apple Care?

19. Geert76 macrumors 68000

last year with the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus there were about 10 million pre orders the first weekend, NOT even a worldwide pre order.

You do the math with keeping in mind that this is the first oled iPhone and first worldwide pre order.

20. MCube74 macrumors 65816

Worst case if the supply is small then we can get IPhone 8 Plus later in November.

We can only hope for a good IPhone X release.

21. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Just a couple of points to consider:

Just because early production estimates have been 10k units/day does not mean it will permanently remain 10k units/day. Quantities may have already improved substantially, and could ramp up still further.

The iPhone X is, due to price, likely to be the least popular model of the three. The initial pre-order transaction volume for the X is not likely to be as heavy as pre-order volume for the far more affordable 8. I think that 15 million trying to order at the same time is not all that likely.

22. MCube74 macrumors 65816

I agree. With people ranting about the IPhone X price, doubt the demand will be as high as before. Let's see.

23. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Basic math tells you iPhone X will be very supply constrained at launch.

Even the journalists who went to Steve Jobs Theater mentioned there were far too few demo units on hand.

At 10k/day, even if Foxconn increased production by 25% every 7 days, Apple only ends up with 1 million units on October 31. If we pretend Foxconn were assembling 10k/day since August 2017, that only adds 300k units to the pool.

During previous launches like iPhone 6S, Apple sold 13 million over the launch weekend. Traditionally, 40% of those sales are the expensive Plus models, which translates to 5 million units.

Apple will have at best 1.5 million units of iPhone X at launch for worldwide consumption.

24. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

Its all about the HYPE. If they want they can make so many phones that will be enough for everyone at launch day lol.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

For Me, I upgrade annually. So the fact that I won't actually have the iPhone X until sometime in November or later. That means I actually own the iPhone less than a year before I decide to upgrade again. So I don't know what my plan will be for 2018 or not.