Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
"during the first month of availability"

So capturing the period when all the fan-boys get their hands on them, along with those who want to try and buy a load to sell for a profit on eBay because Apple are forecasting the usual 'production issues, low supplies etc' to try and get people to place pre-orders..

What will be telling is sales AFTER the first month of availability. I think this will be a lot less encouraging as it's clearly a disappointing product by Apple standards, especially when compared to rapidly improving competition. I think for a lot of perspective buyers the X just doesn't meet exceptions so they're sticking with the 7, 8 or even checking out stuff like the Note 8.
Or even some, like myself, who found even the 8 not worth spending the money on. My 6S and SE work just fine, for me.

Reactions: BladeRunner95

Cloudkicker

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2016
London, Canada/Los Angeles, CA
So when in 8 out of 10 countries your sales drop is stellar?

France, Italy, Spain Android is over 75% penetration. Only in Japan is iOS is higher in that list.

Apple truly is the master of Smoke & Mirrors Company PR.
[doublepost=1515633215][/doublepost]
Just to be clear, Steve was never focused on market share
Not with the Mac
Not with the iPhone

Quality products - YES
Profits - YES
Market Share - not so much

Absolute lies on the last one. In a pre-iPhone era, iPod vs. Zune, Apple was bragging about market share like a drunkard.

Funny how Apple touts total sales or market share or first day sales, by splitting hairs when they're on top as the "only" thing that matters.

Last edited:

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
Quoted for 2/1 results.

You do realize these numbers are essentially meaningless and complete guesses? Do you even understand the methodology?

So the entire article is meaningless. There is no progress in china - and the title is at best an assumption. And the post was not on the validity of the data but the interpretation of it in the article.

Reactions: jacksmith21006

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
So the entire article is meaningless. There is no progress in china - and the title is at best an assumption. And the post was not on the validity of the data but the interpretation of it in the article.
Yes, even the positive data in China probably doesn’t mean much. Apple showed good q/q and y/y results in China during their last earnings report. They also,showed strength in the US, so strong numbers in those markets won’t surprise me.

Chinese definitely are early adopters and crave new form factors like the X, perhaps more than any other people.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
To improve the market share Apple needs to wake up to the fact that a regular person needing a smartphone could be quite happy with a wide variety of Android handsets falling within the price bracket below 300$. There is just a bunch of hard core Apple fans who are ready to shell out over a 1000$ for a phone that will be outdated the following year. iPhone, after all, is merely a useful object, not a piece of art that gains extra value with time.

I don't think Apple cares too much about market share, as long as they can make huge profits with the iPhone by selling millions of them every quarter.
Cutting prices would improve their market share, but they'd gain less for each phone sold.
They'll start lowering prices when they'll stop selling so many iPhones. It will happen eventually, and it doesn't mean Apple will be doomed as everyone keep saying, but they'll have to change their strategies or find another mass market product.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So much negativity, so much denial. It's like facts don't even matter anymore when it comes to bashing Apple.

Whatever will they do when Apple announces stellar earnings once again in their upcoming quarterly report?

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
iPhone X sales volume 20% less than previous iPhone models with the high price tag attached, we can expect stellar profits, which is what Apple is interested (apparently, people are also obliging).

They probably recognised that the Mobile Phone fame is getting over and it would start playing Niche segments with very high price tags looking for higher and higher profits than sales volumes. They might eventually, make major releases every three years as Tim mentioned and annual minor upgrades. In couple of years, iPhones may hit $1500-1700(in some markets with all taxes inclusive, iPhone X has touched this level already) levels.

Others probably have to sell 2-4 flagship devices to match the profit made in single iPhone.

Looks like US market which is very huge in volume is titling away from Apple in this chart. China and Germany not sure about volume.

This is just the FIRST month sale btw....More questions than answers!

Reactions: Martyimac

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I'm sure this has been mentioned earlier, but carriers haven't really been pushing the iPhone X in the US. A lot of carriers are selling iPhone 8s with buy one, get one free promotions, and carriers are a major way for people to buy phones in the US. As good as the iPhone X is, the iPhone 8 is a much better buy at essentially half off.

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Still stoked with mine. An excellent phone whose use has become second nature. Much easier to use than my TouchID 6+ and iPad.

you're joking right? i barely put my thumb on my IP7+ and it opens to home screen already..you can say it's a diff approach but easier? i doubt it. yes i've played with the IPX at the store...it's still at the store..lol. don't want it.
[doublepost=1515698243][/doublepost]
So much negativity, so much denial. It's like facts don't even matter anymore when it comes to bashing Apple.

Whatever will they do when Apple announces stellar earnings once again in their upcoming quarterly report?

well consider the HIGH price of the IPX..then yah..maybe they make big profit. just wait until 2nd and 3rd quarter.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
you're joking right? i barely put my thumb on my IP7+ and it opens to home screen already..you can say it's a diff approach but easier? i doubt it. yes i've played with the IPX at the store...it's still at the store..lol. don't want it.

Joking? No. What an absurd takeaway.

jacksmith21006

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
How is a loss of 4% share to Android in the US stellar?
[doublepost=1515865270][/doublepost]
???????????????????????????????????????????
How can this be true...Matt Drudge posted multiple times that this phone was not selling and worse...does this mean Drudge Report was just making it up ???
Did you look at the numbers or the title?

A decline in 8 of the 10 countries listed and a decline of 4% in the US yoy. Also did you catch the report from Gamestop on why their numbers were so bad? iPhone X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.