iPhone X Sales Were 'Stellar' in Several Countries During First Month of Availability

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Kantar Worldpanel's newest smartphone OS data details the "stellar" performance of the iPhone X in multiple markets around the world during November, amid an overall "mixed performance" for iOS devices from September to November 2017. While Apple's piece of the smartphone ecosystem fell in Great Britain, the United States, Japan, and Australia, the company saw ongoing growth in urban China during this period.

Specifically, iOS dropped 3.8 percentage points in the U.S. when compared to the year-ago period, resulting in a total smartphone OS sales share of 39.8 percent. In the U.S., Android grew 4 percentage points to capture 59.4 percent of the smartphone OS market.

[​IMG]

Kantar noted that in the U.S. the iPhone X was outsold by the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus in November, coming in third and helping Apple capture the three top spots for the best-selling smartphone models that month. The researchers said that Apple "easily" beat Samsung's Galaxy S8, which landed at sixth place.

In China, Kantar said that iOS "continues to impress" with a growth of 4.6 percentage points from the previous year and sitting at 24.3 percent of the smartphone OS market in the country. At the same time, Android fell 4.6 percentage points, but it still owns 75.5 percent of the smartphone OS share in China.

[​IMG]

Kantar Worldpanel global director Dominic Sunnebo explained that Apple's growth in China during this period was helped by "staggering" demand for the iPhone X, despite its high price tag, and came from users who were mostly switching sides from rival smartphone makers.
    Despite an overall percentage point loss for Apple in Great Britain from September to November (down 4.2 points), Kantar said that for the month of November only, "Apple achieved its highest share in more than three years." The company reached 49.4 percent of the market in November thanks to iPhone X demand, beating out Samsung and "easily regaining" the number one sales spot for the month.

For most markets, Kantar wondered how long Apple will be able to keep its sales momentum going with the smartphone's high price tag. Numerous reports in recent weeks have discussed the same topic, with analysts predicting "weakened demand" in Q1 2018 now that early adopters have received their iPhone X.

Article Link: iPhone X Sales Were 'Stellar' in Several Countries During First Month of Availability

2. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

3. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

To be expected it is a superb product (price aside).

4. citysnaps macrumors 68040

Still stoked with mine. An excellent phone whose use has become second nature. Much easier to use than my TouchID 6+ and iPad.

5. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

i am glad i skipped it and going to get next year plus size

6. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Doomsday scenarios are starting to clash with reality.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2018 ---
    That what I was thinking at the beginning. Now that I got used to the screen aspect ratio I appreciate the "small" size of the phone to no end.

Definitely skipping the "iPhone X2+"

7. ahireasu macrumors regular

So when in 8 out of 10 countries your sales drop is stellar?

8. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

"in the U.S. the iPhone X was outsold by the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus in November"

The first month the X went on sale, it still sold less than the 8 and 8+ !!??
    Gosh. Is that purely the low supply, or does it fit with the X just being less popular/too expensive?

We probably need to wait for Apple's official sales figures to be sure.

9. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502a

Phil in ocala

???????????????????????????????????????????
    How can this be true...Matt Drudge posted multiple times that this phone was not selling and worse...does this mean Drudge Report was just making it up ???

10. ruimpinho macrumors newbie

ruimpinho

11. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

I heard people say that before in a different context.

12. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

iPhone X is the first time that I’ve seriously thought “I can’t really think of anything else I really need in a phone.” No wonder people love it.

I guess when it comes to software, Siri needs to get better. And it would be neat if Apple could get that real wireless charging stuff working—but that is probably a long way off. A wider angle Face ID would be useful. Otherwise I can’t even really think of much of a wish list for the iPhone X successor. Maybe doing something about the notch? But I honestly forget about the notch sometimes. Maybe stronger glass materials so I don’t have to use a case? Making it more durable would honestly be a good upgrade. I don’t even care about 5G yet because LTE is already plenty fast. Maybe Bluetooth 5.0 would enable faster communication with future Apple Watches?

13. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502a

Phil in ocala

In the mid 1990's I bought a Powerbook 150 used at CompUSA....it was $1200....and could not do 2% of what the iPhone ten can do for $200 less.

14. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I’m in the middle - love my X and might not go for the plus x model next year.

The x size is perfect for me right now

15. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I love mine. Great device. And paying outright wasn't really a killer seeing as I paid 900 for my iPhone 6 plus 3 years ago.

16. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Mine is older but it still works.

17. mingravity, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

mingravity macrumors member

total sales m/e Nov
    2016 = 312.4
    2017 = ~298
    2/10 countries +ve sales
    why is the article so biased????

Baymowe335 pointed my mistake that these were market shares. back to maths basics.
    still 2/10 i reckon this article qualifies as biased.

18. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Love my x too...brings so much which i have wanted for years from apple. I'm sure the bigger screen this year will sell alot too.

19. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

To improve the market share Apple needs to wake up to the fact that a regular person needing a smartphone could be quite happy with a wide variety of Android handsets falling within the price bracket below 300$. There is just a bunch of hard core Apple fans who are ready to shell out over a 1000$ for a phone that will be outdated the following year. iPhone, after all, is merely a useful object, not a piece of art that gains extra value with time.

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Rubber starting to meet road as far as analyst cred goes. Everyone will be rushing to revise previous predictions and make their last minute bets. We'll find out in a few weeks. But if the X made significant penetration into China that alone is huge as it's been Apple's toughest major market to crack and one it desperately needs.

21. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

IMO, Apple doesn't think like that
    To them Profits > Market Share

That's not to say they don't care at all about market share
    But cash is king, and they are more concerned about making profit than saturating the market

But that's just me

22. ferrous macrumors regular

I bought iPhone X because my previous iPhone became so slow

23. joesegh macrumors 6502

Because one of the countries where it gained was China. Last I checked, a lot of people live in China.

24. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

And this, if true, is a worrying trend. As Steve Jobs once said:

“If you keep your eye on the profit, you’re going to skimp on the product. But if you focus on making really great products, then the profits will follow.”

25. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Soooooo... what you really mean is you can think of a lot of things.:p:D