iPhone X iPhone X screen/brightness/contrast is pretty dim...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FoxD, Nov 3, 2017.

1. FoxD macrumors 6502

I have mine arriving today but went and checked out the X at the Apple Store. I was expecting the OLED screen to pop but it actually looked less "punchy" than my 7 Plus....disappointing for sure...especially when compared to a Note 8.

I checked all the settings and it was set to max brightness. I tried with True Tone on and that did not help either and made it look more yellow. I love True Tone on my iPad but not impressed on the X.

Overall, I was let down by the contrast/brightness for sure.

2. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Out of all the reviews I read NOBODY said that. Might wanna get those eyes checked.

3. TurboPGT! Suspended

Literally the brightest phone they've made to date. Nothing to see here.

4. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

You mean all the reviews from people Apple hand-picked to send review units to?

5. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

All I have heard is otherwise, but okay. Looks like you will be returning then.

6. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Who cares? Doesn’t mean they won’t bash it. People especially reviewers love bashing Apple.

7. FoxD thread starter macrumors 6502

Just being honest...still plan on keeping it but it did not Wow me. Curious to hear feedback from others who have actually seen it in person too.

8. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

compare it to iPhone 6-8. if its lower than that you have a flawed unit. why do you plan on keeping it then

the iPad Pro with TrueTone has less nits than iPhone X so it cannot be less bright than that

9. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

My understanding is the display will get much brighter (as necessary) when auto-brightness is enabled, compared to using the manual brightness slider at max setting.

Likely for safety/longevity as the max display brightness when using auto won’t be sustained as it would if left on manual max.

10. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

There's a ton of videos out there, none of which are seeing what you are seeing. I would return it and ask for another.

11. FoxD thread starter macrumors 6502

I looked at 10 in store, some were a bit better than others but I am still waiting on my delivery. I will report when I can compare in multiple environments. I have multiple X phones coming too.

12. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

It'll be the last prerelease review unit they ever get from Apple, but yea they can bash it.

Mike
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    That is a bizarre article, and based on many of the comments, is questionable at best. It's strange but I guess without "Tom" Toms Guide is not quite the same.

When Displaymate tested the Note 8 they said "Galaxy Note8 Sets New Record in Display Performance," especially brightness (measured 1t over 1200 nits). But Toms Guide says the Note 8's display brightness is below average. Uh, I have a real problem with that kind of nonsense, even though I have an iPhone X on order.

Mike

13. fortdells macrumors newbie

completely agree. really disappointed in the brightness. holding side by side my 6S and it's no contest. the 6S is much brighter. the X by comparison is dim and dull. I turned 'TruTone' on and off and either setting is considerably darker and dimmer than the 6S. debating switching to a 7 if this is new normal.

14. nafai23 macrumors regular

I had the same result for the first 30 Mins I had the phone. My 7 killed it in brightness. Then messing with the slider I saw the top half of the slider stayed at same brightness when I slide it up and down. I got annoyed and set the phone down and out of the corner of my eye I saw it get very bright when I notification came in. Now I went back and the upper half of the slider has an effect. It’s been bright ever since. Bizarre.

15. fortdells macrumors newbie

what do you mean "top half of slider"? do you mean the actual brightness slider in settings?

16. Nacket macrumors member

Nacket

Me and my roommate held our iPXs side-by-side and hers is much dimmer than mine. She tried restoring and messing with her settings to no avail. I’ll see if I can get a picture posted. OP might not be wrong.

17. fortdells macrumors newbie

photo would be great if you could post it. this is really frustrating.

18. Jonnylasagna macrumors newbie

Jonnylasagna

I’m having the same experience. Very dim display. When I adjust the brightness it is responsive up to halfway up the slider, and then it stops getting brighter. Hope to hear a solution for this!

19. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

This is definitely peculiar; mine brightens all the way “up” the slider. I do not like it all that bright though :cool:

20. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I looked at several in the Apple store this evening all set on maximum brightness with True Tone on. They varied quite a bit in tint and brightness.

21. nafai23 macrumors regular

Mine is still holding with decent brightness but for sure there was a major issue with it for an hour or so. Something is up if others are noticing sometimes slider has no effect.

22. jamesrick80, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Such a terrible comparison without using samsungs display modes and showing outdoor and indoor usage like displaymate does. You all know the S8 and Note 8 screens are the best...you just rather not believe it. Where is the resolution comparisons for overall sharpness, where is the ppi comparison, where are the color gamut comparisons in various display modes and the peak srgb comparisons, where is the max brightness comparisons, where are the display mode comparisons, where are the customization comparisons? Samsung's galaxies' screens are just more advanced.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c? wheredepth=2&hl=en&nv=1&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ru&sp=nmt4&u=http://mobile-review.com/review/apple-iphone-x-fl.shtml&usg=ALkJrhgc7Ngw5ZkI0rb7z5sUeFXdPHD8Og

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note8_ShootOut_100.htm

23. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Yes this is wrong. Best screen to date.

No issues. Wild that there's no backlight at all. Crazy stuff.

24. The Other One macrumors newbie

I just compared my 7 Plus with my X. Full brightness, True Tone off. The 7 Plus is noticeably brighter, and the X is slightly warmer looking. However, if I hadn't seen this thread, I wouldn't have thought to compare the two, because I haven't once thought "this screen is too dim" while using the X today.

It does make me wonder, though, if the ambient light sensor has an impact on overall brightness, even if the user manually adjusts the brightness slider. I did the side-by-side comparison in a fairly dark room. When it's daylight tomorrow, I'll have to try it again outside and see if the 7 Plus still seems brighter in direct sunlight.