iPhone X iPhone X screen/brightness/contrast is pretty dim...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FoxD, Nov 3, 2017.

1. sam.kroft macrumors newbie

sam.kroft

I have the new X and she/he is right. I am very disappointed with the colors of the screen. Pictures look so much better on my old iPhone 6s.

I tried true tone , filters in the settings and nothing helps.

2. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Everyone in my family, and my friend who bought the X, all say the same.

I don't really understand how the professional reviewers can rave about the screen. But then again, I never liked professional calibrations for televisions either. They looked the same: yellow, dim, dull.

3. Gerardsound macrumors newbie

I too agree with FoxD. I own the 7 plus. Went to Apple yesterday. Tried the IPhone X with different settings of brightness. Not impressed. Expected more. No wow factor either for me. Sorry, I have tell you the truth.
    More impressed with Brightness on 7 Plus.

4. theanimaster, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

theanimaster macrumors 6502

theanimaster

--- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    Just got my iPhone X 256Gb and I can confirm was the OP says — the screen is NOT as bright as the iPhone 7 it’s replacing. At least not “yet”. I have hopes this is due to a new display — much like LED bulbs tend to have a break-in period. Well — I’m hoping. I remember the demo units in the AppleStore looking brighter than my iPhone 7. So yeah. We have yet to see.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    I seems when adjusting the brightness from mid to high the display brightness seems the same — no change. I took some photos of my iPhones side by side with the exposure centered on a dark object ... when I’m able to upload it ... it shows the iPhone 7 screen washed out and the iPhone X screen dim.

5. Teddybz macrumors newbie

I didn’t have an account on this forum before, but I think I have the solution for once so I signed up to help you all. lol
    I was messing with the settings and remember seeing “auto brightness” somewhere when I first got the phone. I forgot to turn it off though, until today.
    The setting is suspiciously hidden…
    Settings>General>Accessibility>Display Accommodations>Auto-Brightness

Definitely a lot brighter now.

6. Hqv579 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone! I think I have the solution. It seems as though some iPhone X models came preset with the “reduce white point” function checked.

Settings>General>Accessibility>Display Accommodations>Reduce White Point & Auto Brightness

Turn off both for max brightness.

Also just to share a story/vent, I noticed my X was 50% less bright than my 6 so I did a hard reset and messed with the settings and couldn’t get it to improve.

I went back to the Apple store and talked to an employee who was super dismissive of my concern and assured me that’s how Apple intended the screen to look. I told him that I thought he was wrong and he cut me off and asked if I just wanted to return or exchange it.

Since I had just gone through the entire restore process I did not want to so he replied “well that’s how they made the phone and if you don’t want a new one then I don’t know what do for you.” I asked “Can I please just have a second opinion?” He replied “my opinion is that the screen is working perfect.” I said “I know that’s your opinion, that’s why I would like a different one.”

Finally, after all that hostility () the employee called over a coworker and asked him to give me a second opinion. The guy took out his X and compared the two, looked at my settings and instantly noted something was wrong. It actually took about 3 guys huddled together to get to the issue. Hah!

7. jonurk macrumors newbie

jonurk

I have the iPhone X Silver and I felt like my screen was dim too, but I didn't want to overreact. What do you guys think, is this the way the screen is supposed to be? True tone is turned off and brightness is all the way up. The left is the X, the right is the 7 Plus. What do you guys think??

[​IMG]

8. leopan macrumors newbie

my iPhone x also not bright as I thought,I had compared with my friend's, you can see the result in the photos,I take those shots with my iPhone 6s Plus,both of them are set to brightest,I go to Apple store, but the genius said that's normal.....than he said if you want you can change it or return it back.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    Here is another setting on brightness with my friend's,I set his iPhone X's brightness down to about -40%,that the screen looks like more even.

IMG_9011.JPG IMG_9010.JPG

Attached Files:

9. theanimaster macrumors 6502

theanimaster

Good point there. I almost never use full brightness unless I’m out in the sun. Today I compared my X with (now my son’s) 7 and they both looked the same under the sun, though my son said the X looked brighter. Hm.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    Ok. Weird. Last night I posted about the 50% brightness slider thing: that there was hardly any discernible change in brightness from 50-100%. We’ll just now there is. I’m getting something comparable to the iPhone 7. So yeah... I’m not going to be changing mine out anytime soon.

Still sucks we don’t have a AMOLED screen and are still stuck at OLED. Ah well... it’s an improvement. Just that the Marketing people are in charge at Apple these days...

10. Nismo180 macrumors newbie

Nismo180

Yes, doing the above fixed the screen too dim issue for me! It was really bad especially in daylight. After turning down/off Reduce White Point, it fixed it

11. steinermother, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

steinermother macrumors newbie

steinermother

The phone is a let down. I think people want something so new from Apple that they have provided ridiculous good reviews of the phone because they have had the same phone from Apple for years and just want something to cheer about. Before this phone came out there was mention that the screen was not bright. I have to look for that article. I went and saw the phone last sunday and was not impressed at all. I was move impressed with the Samsung S7 edge than Iphone X screen. Clearly the screen is the biggest selling feature and the biggest disappointment to me. When I think Oled, I think bright and pops out at me. This screen simply will not do for 1,300.

12. lke macrumors 6502a

I got my iPhone X today and at first I have the same issue but after some minutes the brightness was almost the same as my iPhone 7S.

If your iPhone X is under the sun for some minutes or you have done something that has over heated the processor then the brightness will be lower. You need to wait for the iPhone X to cool down.

13. kp98077 macrumors 6502

kp98077

Very odd! Mine is soooo bright I can hardly stand it - and the colors pop, definitely more than my 7plus and my kids, we have sat around comparing and well, there is NO comparison with the X screen, none in my observation. Overtime I wish that X screen was a little larger, i am in awe of the contrast, colors and brightness. Granted in turned off true tone :)

14. Nismo180 macrumors newbie

Nismo180

I think we have established:

Issue: iphone X screen too dim

Fix: Turn off “Reduce white point” in settings/general/accessibility/display accommodation.

Screen too dim issue is fixed. Its now as bright as my wife’s iphone 8.

Go now and buy the most expensive, fastest, most advanced handset in the market :)

15. Omgitskiddfresh macrumors newbie

Omgitskiddfresh

--- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2017 ---
    i has the same problem and just found out how to fix it . Go to settings , general , asseccibility , display accumendations and turn auto brightness off

16. kirk.vino macrumors member

I can’t even imagine that! My 6S Plus looks soooo bad next to the X with both screens at max brightness.

17. Nacket macrumors member

Nacket

Sorry for the late reply. We tried updating, restoring, the works, and the results were the same despite the same settings.

[​IMG]

18. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

Are you sure your phone is not running too hot due to restore process? Let it cool down first.

19. mattysmith118 macrumors 6502

20. eddymerckx3 macrumors newbie

...had the same dim screen issue that I noticed as phone was resorting from back-up during set-up process. I turned off both the auto-brightness toggle and white point toggles and there was still no difference in brightness. I too noticed the phone was running hot during the restore process. After the restore was complete, the phone cooled down, noticeably, and interestingly, the screen brightness increased significantly. huh???

21. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

It’s a safety mechanism Apple put in place when phone becomes too warm or hot from doing damage to the unit.

22. TaxExempt, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017

TaxExempt macrumors newbie

Having the auto dimming problem with my X. Tried all the suggested fixes here but nothing helps.

Here’s a video of what happens. The annoying part is my phone isn’t even hot.

Edit: I should be specific on what’s im trying to show in this video: The brightness slider between 75% and 100% has no effect on the screen brightness.

This is where the problem lies. Throughout the use of the phone the brightness drops and goes up on its own and I’m not even using it heavy.

I doubt this is a temperature issue, and if it really is, that’s insane because it doesn’t even feel hot.

23. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I know we’re all different and we’re all going to have different opinions. But one thing that always shocks me is when people say the X screen is dim.

I honestly can’t have it at full brightness in normal room light, it’s bloody blinding. Although I do find that very handy in bright sunlight, makes the screen very readable. Not that we’re getting much of that in Scotland for the next 7 months :D

24. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

It is something to see, I just went to the Apple Store. I put the iPhone x and my iPhone 7+ and the 7+ is way brighter. I checked same apps, same web pages. True tone off. But the notch doesn't bother me, but the screen is definitely less brighter than the +