iPhone X iPhone X screen/brightness/contrast is pretty dim...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FoxD, Nov 3, 2017.

1. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

I'm sure brightness varies on different phones like all other screen attributes, even on the iPhone X. In my case, while my iPhone 8 has a very nice even, white screen, it is considerably less bright than my iPhone X. Looking at a few models in the Apple store, some iPhone X models were brighter than others even on the same settings. They all displayed different hues and degree of color shifting as well.

2. madKIR macrumors 6502a

But you probably didn't turn off Auto Brightness on the X's. With that feature off any X is brighter than all the previous models.
    Also, the X has a new hardware feature that dims the screen if the phone is warm. You would need to let cool off first in order to see its real max brightness.

3. Evie520 macrumors newbie

Evie520

If you go to your general settings then accessibility turn off auto brightness and right underneath there is something called “Reduce White” turn that off as well it made a HUGE difference

I was about to return my phone :-/

4. Hqv579 macrumors newbie

You have “reduce white point” on

5. akadmon Suspended

I just got mine today and was immediately disappointed with the brightness (out of the box, it looked abysmal next to my old 6). After playing with the settings that could have anything remotely to do with the brightness/warmth of the display (of which there are many!), I stumbled on the solution: you have to disable the Reduce White Point option under Display Accommodations. Turning off Auto Brightness (under same) and turning off True Tone (under Display & Brightness) helps to boost brightness further still, but Reduce White Point is king!

6. garethjs macrumors 6502a

What are u talking about?!?

Reduce Whitepoint is off by default... u would have to have turned it on for u to be able to turn it off...

7. akadmon Suspended

--- Post Merged, Nov 20, 2017 ---
    What are YOU talking about? Apparently there is no standard default setting. Some iPhones come with the Reduce Whitepoint setting enabled. I KNOW mine did. See post #78 in this thread (which I did not read until after I posted)

Chill. :-/

8. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

That didn't happen or was very rare during the early Apple Store years under Ron Johnson (?? forget his name). The Apple Store is like any other store, maybe even worse. I sympathize and empathize with them as the stores are constantly busy with endless customers coming in. Maybe hire more people? But yeah, many workers there are bitter with it's just a job attitude. I remember when they were genuinely friendly. I had the same display brightness question and much better to come here. I shut off Auto Brightness and it's much better! I was prepared to just live with it as I too didn't want to do re-setup again.

I know True Tone is supposed to make the colors look consistent over different lightning conditions. How does it do it? It seems to work by making the display warmer (yellow). Right now, I have True Tone off and it looks like old my 6s+ display and I'm happy. I guess I'd turn True Tone back on if I know it was better, "superior".

9. RonFromOregon macrumors member

The iPhone X screen is indeed AMOLED (Active Matrix OLED).

10. adamlamar101 macrumors newbie

I looked up this site because I ran into the exact same thing - and had my iphone 7+ right next to the X and had the same issues as the OP no matter what I did with the settings. However, this was while all of my apps were downloading as I did a restore from backup.

So a few hours later after everything had installed and I rebooted the phone - the display now completely blows away the iphone 7+ and all the display settings are live and responsive. Hope this helps

11. mib1800 macrumors 68030

I saw the dim screen (in one those battery drain test videos). The phone was just playing a long youtube video and the phone was stuck with dim screen (and the brightness control has no effect). Maybe the temperature/cpu was too hot. Strange thing is the other iphone X in the test didnt exhibit this behavior. I think Apple needs to fix this. Screen is the most important and it doesnt make sense to give priority to other components over it.

12. hlao903 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Nov 21, 2017 ---
    Go to settings, then display and brightness. Disable True Tone. Then it will be brighter.

13. kirk.vino macrumors member

It’s been discussed many times before: the X dims the screen when it gets too warm/hot. It’s embedded within the hardware. There is nothing to fix. If Apple didn’t have it implemented, the processor would get way too hot and slow.

14. gahig ulo macrumors 6502

gahig ulo

15. kp98077 macrumors 6502

kp98077

Just amazed to read all this my screen is brilliant and beautiful

16. adamlamar101 macrumors newbie

Makes total sense.. When all of the apps were downloading and installing the phone was very warm.

Now all that's over it's been running cool as a cucumber..

17. adt404 macrumors newbie

I found that turning off the Zoom setting under accessibility had a significant effect on the max brightness. Don't know how those two are connected but when I switch the zoom setting on my iPhone is very dim even when having the brightness slider all the way up. Some of the other suggestions on here, specifically those about the reduce white setting, really helped as well.

18. Kfriday macrumors newbie

I had the same concern until I did some digging. Make sure auto brightness is turned off - you will see the screen able to be almost too bright. It’s buried a little deep in the menus. See this link for more info https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-avoid-iphone-x-screen-burn-in-3666584/?amp

19. rturner2 macrumors 6502a

Was disappointing to me. Didn’t feel like it had any punch. iPad Pro lcd seems better except the blacks.

20. dacevedogarcia macrumors newbie

dacevedogarcia

Hello, just happened to this also. Brightness is active until bottom halfway, from half to the upper half it remains the same. I was using it under direct sunlight and sensed it was overheating a bit. Thought it was a self protecting feature from overheating and prevented it to increase the brightness to the max setting. how about your experience? did you feel it was getting hot when it happened?

It is back to normal now now that it is colder.

Thanks for the post.

21. MichaelJWP macrumors newbie

I just got mine today and was staggered how dim it was next to my 6s. However your tip with turning off the zoom setting fixed it - what a difference! Had to turn it down off max to save my eyes. This must be a iOS bug though, there's no reason for the zoom setting to alter the brightness.

22. Fiestaman macrumors regular

There's a low light filter option for zoom. Back when there was a home button, a quick triple click would cause the phone to "zoom" and if you had it set up correctly, it would activate or deactivate a low light filter. Was a very quick way to make it dim in a dark room like a movie theater.

23. Khuram macrumors newbie

Khuram

I realized out the box the contrast is turned off go into setting accessibility then hit increase contrast you’ll notice a huge difference now the displays looks better then the note 8

24. Roggero macrumors newbie

Roggero

This is it, mine just woke up this morning much dimmer and the solution was turning off the Zoom setting as your suggestion. Brightness returned right away, all solved.
    This should be passed on, thanks for posting!

25. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Brightness was a concern of mine, but mine definitely gets brighter than 7+ And my 7+ screen is solid.

It’s likely panel lottery, and a bad one at that statistically