Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfologist87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Here is what happened to my X, and I wanted to get some thoughts on the situation.

iPhone X screen died, there was no image or backlight. Phone still responded to volume and vibrated. Restored phone with iTunes and still no luck.

Went to the Genius Bar and they did a diagnostic, and the computer prompted them to take the phone and ship it off to engineers at Apple to assess the problem as it was something they have not run into yet. It’ll be a week or so before I get it back.

I wish they could have swapped the phone out so I am not without it. And also hoping I don’t have any other issues with this unit. Is this normal? I haven’t seen this issue much online, and every iPhone I’ve had in the past gets swapped out with a different unit instead of making me wait.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I wouldn't have walked out without a replacement.

Or better yet. Hold on to your iPhone until a replacement is given. Although, their iPhone doesn’t work... but I’ve had few times I had to get service done... I either get worked done or swapped for a replacement.

Reactions: old-wiz

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Chances are they will send you a new phone. I found they normally say "5 working days" for everything but in practice I have had new items overnighted to me after the recipe the defective item.

surfologist87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for the replies. When I walked out of the store I was kicking myself for not standing my ground and trying to get it resolved that day.

This was on Wednesday by the way, and the repair status in my account shows no update, so I feel like I’ll be waiting a few days. Maybe I could call them and have another one overnighted.

There was 200 plus people packed into a smaller Apple store in Miami, and it was a nightmare due to all of the people wanting batteries (people that obviously do not even need a replacement) and I felt bad about causing a scene.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Thanks for the replies. When I walked out of the store I was kicking myself for not standing my ground and trying to get it resolved that day.

This was on Wednesday by the way, and the repair status in my account shows no update, so I feel like I’ll be waiting a few days. Maybe I could call them and have another one overnighted.

There was 200 plus people packed into a smaller Apple store in Miami, and it was a nightmare due to all of the people wanting batteries (people that obviously do not even need a replacement) and I felt bad about causing a scene.

It is not a scene. You just need to present your case in a calm, yet firm manner. After all, a defect on Apple's part must be met with either replacement or repair within a reasonable time frame. Send it off to California for analysis and results is not reasonable.

ac921ol

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
yup, I'd go back and explain to them its not ok to be without a phone, you are currently paying for phone service and do not have a phone to use. You should have not left, but that is in hindsight now, surprised you did tho.

I'd go back and speak to the MOD (manager on duty), and explain what happened have him pull up your case and see what they can offer you for now.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
I hope you didn’t go to Dadeland. That Apple Store is the WORST (although the manager was a godsend). You should definitely go back for a replacement or at least a place holder device. You paid top dollar for your device. You shouldn’t be empty handed.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Here is what happened to my X, and I wanted to get some thoughts on the situation.

iPhone X screen died, there was no image or backlight. Phone still responded to volume and vibrated. Restored phone with iTunes and still no luck.

Went to the Genius Bar and they did a diagnostic, and the computer prompted them to take the phone and ship it off to engineers at Apple to assess the problem as it was something they have not run into yet. It’ll be a week or so before I get it back.

I wish they could have swapped the phone out so I am not without it. And also hoping I don’t have any other issues with this unit. Is this normal? I haven’t seen this issue much online, and every iPhone I’ve had in the past gets swapped out with a different unit instead of making me wait.

Apple's policy on replacements has changed and is not automatic anymore.

I hope you saved a good backup. and removed your SIM card.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Apple's policy on replacements has changed and is not automatic anymore.
I hope you saved a good backup. and removed your SIM card.

That is awful! You pay $ 1000 or so for a new phone and it breaks and they send it to California and tell you it might be a week before they fix it? I would not have left the store without a replacement. What do you do in the meantime? I am surprised and disgusted.

Bobout

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2017
Apple Valley
Wow this is shocking .. I have had issue on previous iPhones and I have not left the store without a replacement or it being fixed that day ..Good luck on getting a replacement or it getting resolved asap .. that just sucks..

surfologist87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Well, since I took it in earlier this week, I got an email that the ‘repair’ is completed and it is on its way back, should have it Tuesday/Wednesday. But keep this in mind when you head to the Apple store with your X in need of a repair. Insist on getting a swap out that day.

This is the only phone out of multiple in the household that has Bluetooth problems with our vehicle and other minor issues that were noted on the work order. I can't believe it's not a replacement but oh well, at least I still have warranty if it keeps acting up.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Asking the logical question here, how do you know they even had replacements in stock? This is very normal if they do not have a device replacement available.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Normal for them to ‘capture’ a phone for engineers. Not normal that it wasn’t replaced.
Again, unless they had no replacements available, which is entirely possible.

Or are you speaking to the fact the original device was returned to the OP.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
It sounds like it was repair, not capture.
Agreed, but I think in the past I have had something shown as "repair complete" but I ended up receiving a replacement product. Its been many years since that happened, so I cannot remember entirely. So it is possible the OP gets a different device.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Agreed, but I think in the past I have had something shown as "repair complete" but I ended up receiving a replacement product. Its been many years since that happened, so I cannot remember entirely. So it is possible the OP gets a different device.
Agree.

Seth Matthews

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The Ether
Why do you think that Apple owes a replacement? They will fix it and get it back to the op. No where does it say that Apple should give them a replacement phone when it can be repaired.

For this situation? It is called good customer service. When you take your vehicle in for repair and it ends up taking a while, you get a loaner vehicle for the inconvenience because it is under warranty. This is no different.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Why do you think that Apple owes a replacement? They will fix it and get it back to the op. No where does it say that Apple should give them a replacement phone when it can be repaired.
Because it's a $1000+ phone that's, at most, 2 months old. If Apple will let people return phones with no questions asked, for a full refund and allow customers to exchange numerous phones because of yellow screens or any of the other numerous non-issues, then I think a simple replacement is in order in this situation having an unusable phone.

Reactions: dazz87
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.