iPhone X Should Push Apple Ahead of Samsung as World's Largest Smartphone Maker

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple will dethrone Samsung as the world's largest smartphone maker in the fourth quarter of 2017, on the strength of strong iPhone X demand, according to Taiwanese market research firm TrendForce.

[​IMG]

TrendForce estimates Apple will record 19.1 percent market share in the quarter, encompassing the busy holiday shopping season, which would be slightly ahead of Samsung's estimated 18.2 percent market share. Chinese vendors Huawei, OPPO, and Xiaomi are expected to round off the top five.

[​IMG]

The feat would be impressive as always given that Samsung sells over a dozen different smartphone models, including some as cheap as $200, whereas Apple primarily caters to the high-end market beyond the iPhone SE for $349.
    The fourth quarter has always been the strongest for Apple, given it launches new devices in the fall, allowing it to surpass Samsung in the year-ago quarter as well. Samsung's Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ were released back in April, so sales momentum is likely beginning to decline for those devices.

Meanwhile, market research firm Canalys estimates the iPhone 8 Plus outpaced the iPhone 8 last quarter with shipments of 6.3 million units and 5.4 million units respectively. Canalys said the iPhone 8 Plus is the first Plus-sized iPhone to out-ship its smaller 4.7-inch sibling in a single quarter.

Apple doesn't disclose iPhone sales on a model-by-model basis, but chief Tim Cook said the iPhone 8 Plus has "gotten off to the fastest start of any Plus model," which came as "a bit of a surprise" to the company.

As far as iPhone X sales are concerned, Apple's guidance of $84-$87 billion revenue for the holiday quarter suggests that demand for the device will be significant. Apple should easily beat its all-time record for revenue in a single quarter of $78.4 billion, achieved in the fourth quarter of 2016.

Article Link: iPhone X Should Push Apple Ahead of Samsung as World's Largest Smartphone Maker

2. aking83 macrumors regular

aking83

3. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

"apple is doomed generic comment"

Love both of these phones, I know many people will be happy with EITHER this Christmas!

4. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

5. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I absolutely love this new iPhone. It kinda made me fall in love with iPhones again. My 6 plus was getting stale.

6. TxExCxH macrumors regular

TxExCxH

The X is a great phone but not everybody wants one. I bought one unlocked for my partner and he didn’t want it, so I took it back. He prefers the 7 Plus. I couldn’t go back to the Plus.

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Really looking forward to getting the X. Still rocking a 5S which has flaky Wi-Fi performance and battery life that would be best described as "permanently tethered to charger".

I've been holding off on upgrading for years but the X was just too irresistible.

8. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Samsung feels so insecure that they need to produce an ad to mock it.

9. deanthedev macrumors 6502

deanthedev

Uh, Samsung sells boatloads of phones in the $50-100 range. The majority of their sales are also in this range. That’s why their ASP is in the low $200 range, and why you can’t compare total sales from each company.

10. alien3dx macrumors regular

alien3dx

It quite rare to see iphone user.. unless contract telco

11. magbarn macrumors 68000

"Meanwhile, market research firm Canalys estimates the iPhone 8 Plus outpaced the iPhone 8 last quarter with shipments of 6.3 million units and 5.4 million units respectively. Canalys said the iPhone 8 Plus is the first Plus-sized iPhone to out-ship its smaller 4.7-inch sibling in a single quarter."

Please Apple, release a X (plus)... as I wrap up my X "rental" for a return this weekend. The skinny iPhone 5esque X screen is a deal breaker for many... Going back to a true plus sized phone...

12. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yep, whilst Apple do their talking with a product that works as expected.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

This needs to be said; Where are some of the naysayers who thought Tim Cook would drive Apple into the ground and the company would not go anywhere without Steve Jobs.

14. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Wow, you didn’t even trade in for the iPhone SE? My 5s got like yours toward the end of a year and even my kid couldn’t use it so we got the SE for her. Even I got an SE I used for a year and still have it. Well anyway I’m happy for you getting the X. I hope it serves you well.

15. recoil80 macrumors 68000

Good for Apple, not so good for customers. It means they're going to continue selling expensive phones since X is a success.
    This year we have 8 and 8+ at the usual price points, while X is a more expensive model. But what if they sell their "base" new model at $999 in the future?

16. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Those people are the same people that claimed Apple would be doomed when Jobs pulled out licenses for 3rd party "Macs." The same people made fun of Jobs for the iPod. And don't forget how many people laughed at the first iPhone. Now they pretend to be Jobs' fanboys just because a new guy is in the helm. Same old story

17. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Putting them side by side in this picture does kinda show the S8 is the better looking phone, purely because it doesn't have that idiotic notch at the top. Renders the screen next to it pretty much useless.

18. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah I'm a bit of a stickler for stubbornly running tech into the ground. I was still on an iPhone 4 but iOS 6 crippled that and iOS 7 made it unusable, so I was forced to upgrade.

Similar sort of story here I guess, but I'm genuinely hyped for the X in a way that I haven't been since I first bought the iPhone 4.

19. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

And even if Apple takes the lead on devices, Samsung still makes many of the parts, so they also win.

20. Cloudkicker macrumors regular

Cloudkicker

I see. When Android maker does it, it's insecurity, when it's Apple, it's stating their merits. Uh... huh. I hope this also applies to Galaxy Tab vs iPad ads, too. That'd be a whole lot of insecurity on Samsung's side.

21. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I'm not fond of the S8's looks and I think the X is gorgeous. Each to their own.

22. deanthedev macrumors 6502

deanthedev

Where do you live? Inside Samsung headquarters?

23. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

Don't worry, naysayers are coming... Probably working out how to turn this positive into negative....

I can't wait for my X to arrive.....

24. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Before everybody is breaking the champagne, this is just an estimate from a consultant company.

Imo it's not Apple who is taking Samsung's market share. It's the Huawei, Oppo, and Xiaomi. They are taking Samsung's lunch on the low to mid-range segment.